Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some Trouble with LaserGlow.com Blue CNI Laser

Default Some Trouble with LaserGlow.com Blue CNI Laser

Hi:

After a long time researching, I bought a 80mW analog modulated 473nm CNI laser from LaserGlow.com. I willingly paid a high price of 2400USD because they said that the laser would be legal with the CDRH and legal to import. My impression was that most folks import lasers into the US illegally, and I was unwilling to do so. For this I understood the price would be high.

But I had hoped at least the quality would be high as well.

The laser, LaserGlow model LRS-473-AM-80-5 was stamped and the test report indicated that the lab measured a whopping 139mW before shipping it to me. But when I received it, it measured about 75-78mW on three different LaserCheck wand power meters. I gave it a long 1hour warm up period, and still the same power. Then I looked closely at the beam, and close to the laser (near-field) the beam is a bit elliptical, with a crescent shaped blob below containing a small proportion of the power (probably a very small proportion, ie. 1-5%).

In the far-field, the beam looks fairly round, with less but slightly visible evidence of the crescent.

I sent the laser back to LaserGlow, and also sent my LaserCheck power meter. Paul Svec there said that he did find one of his power meters reading too high, but with another of their power meters, and with mine, he "including your and still achieve power readings of 100mW."

Well, I have the laser back, and I still measure the exact same readings of 75-78mW (88mW peak, when warming up but stabilizes to the 75-78mW range).

Actually, tonight I'm testing it for the second time since getting it back, and am seeing 86mW sustained for a while. Very peculiar. I don't have any long term plotting capability. Maybe I should invest in something...

So basically I have a laser that is a few mW under spec. sometimes, and just a few mW over other times. Beam profile is a bit less perfect than I had hoped for. Before I sent it back, I suspected their measurements were correct, and it got knocked during transit. But now I'm inclining to think it has always been this way, and the first time they measured it with a faulty power meter.

I am also concerned that it doesn't have the 5% stability that I ordered, though they measured 2.3%. That is a +-5% spec, so it might actually be Ok. I'm tempted to buy a PicoScope to check this, but am low on cash after buying the laser.

The only other thing is that I measure no where near 100mW like Paul quoted in the last email.

I will follow up tomorrow, as my computer will shut off automatically in 3 minutes...
    Have a good day!

Hi
    I have a CNI blue at 250mw it also shows that funny crescent thing you talk about. Wonder what it is.
    Man that was an expensive laser for a CNI at that power. Did you talk to CNI direct ?? I didnt pay much ore than that for the 250mw CNI with analogue etc etc...

If you think its out of spec ask CNI what should be happening. Although you purchased through an agent usually manufacturers are interested if their products are getting a bad rep'. Also if agents are not performing for them. (puts pressure on the dealer from on top to get things sorted)

CNI are supposed to be the best but I also have concerns and reservations now. The blue has that crescent thing and my green has two dots one above the other (mode ??)... Mine was purchased direct from them.

So much for the "top" brand. At least my Viasho has a nice dot and no crescent.

Keep us posted how you get on.

Cheers

Ray
    NZ

I know that Laserglow is superbly overpriced.

But more about Blue laser.... what type is it how long ago did you get it. Anybody else with same issues?!?!
    I hired an Italian guy to do my wires. Now they look like spaghetti!

PM me before you get another laser. You could have obtained one from a few others here on the forum. You should have gotten at least 200mw of 473nm for that kind of $ with better specs.
    You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich

oh,my god, 80mW, 2400USD.

OMG!! You got ripped off!!! BIGTIME!!!
    100mw (doing 135+mW) from laser-wave cost 750euro (1098USD)

Pangolin FB3 QS/LivePro/SMS2Laser
    Riya MultiBus
    Pangolin LD2000 Pro

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by cruch View Post
    OMG!! You got ripped off!!! BIGTIME!!!
    100mw (doing 135+mW) from laser-wave cost 750euro (1098USD)
    Damn man... Don't rub it in too much. I will agree though, you could have gotten a much better deal even off a buy it now on eBay.

I have a CNI 50mW blue, TTL, that I got for $500ish off eBay from ExtremeLasers. I was told when I got it I could add analog for $325, but I didn't feel it was worth it. It is producing a solid 60mW. There for a while it was around 75mW. Out of all my lasers it has the best beam. I have a feeling it is a refirb, but it has been working very well for over a year now, a couple of hours a day.

I'd actually try to get my $ back. That's almost what I have in my whole projector.
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Laser View Post
    I know that Laserglow is superbly overpriced.

But more about Blue laser.... what type is it how long ago did you get it. Anybody else with same issues?!?!
    I bought it Aug 20. It is a LRS-473-AM-80-5 as I said, which is CNI MBL series, 80mW, with 10kHz analog modulation and 3% power stability.

Last night I seemed to get a fairly stable 80-85mW over a long period. I have to set up a photodiode some time this weekend to check the modulation. It's hard to get anything done with a 2.5 year old running around.
    Have a good day!

Quote Originally Posted by allthatwhichis View Post
    Damn man... Don't rub it in too much. I will agree though, you could have gotten a much better deal even off a buy it now on eBay.

I have a CNI 50mW blue, TTL, that I got for $500ish off eBay from ExtremeLasers. I was told when I got it I could add analog for $325, but I didn't feel it was worth it. It is producing a solid 60mW. There for a while it was around 75mW. Out of all my lasers it has the best beam. I have a feeling it is a refirb, but it has been working very well for over a year now, a couple of hours a day.

I'd actually try to get my $ back. That's almost what I have in my whole projector.
    If anyone can provide me with FDA accession numbers for the laser modules they might plan to send me from CNI (if I act as the importer then I need the accession number to fill out FDA-2877 to legally import the laser), then I might consider doing business with them.

After several years of research, LaserGlow.com was the only importer that could provide the numbers. There is a price to pay for someone to comply with the law. I paid that price. I got the impression over the years that most do not, and import lasers illegally with fraudulent customs declarations. I cannot afford to do such a thing, as I have a family and also work for a U.S. government laboratory.

Hmm, I don't think I saw ExtremeLasers before, or perhaps didn't put them into my serious consideration folder for some reason. Did they arrive on the scene only recently? I know there was a US distributor that looked promising, but I was turned off by their lack of a street address on their web site. Oh, I think that was Optotronics.

I may contact ExtremeLasers. I notice their price for 100mW is about the same as I paid for the 80mW.
    Have a good day!

I thought for OEM lasers you do not need any numbers to import legally... I thought that was for finished projectors or something.

I'm not sure I would suggest ExtremeLasers, I was just stating where I got mine and for what. It was an ebay auction, and I think the laser is a refirbished model. I am happy with my blue, but had a green that I was unsure of the output and it died prematurely. When I got the blue I mentioned that I frequent here; I may have gotten a golden egg. Antoher member won a 100mW blue in an auction and it is acting similar to yours. 80 to 90mW...

Talk to dave or aijii from lasershowparts.com, they are members here and should be able to help you out with a descision and informaiton. Maybe PM Pangolin also, he may have information that could help.