Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Norms DAC / Chinese 20k kit

Default Norms DAC / Chinese 20k kit

Hi from a newbie to scanning, I have cut my teeth on making red and blue p*#nt%rs, simple spiro's, liquid skys and a single speaker XY projector.

I thought it was about time to move up a step (or two) and build myself a graphics projector. After years in Mech engineering the hardware side of things I am happy I can do, this includes laying out and soldering to a circuit diagram.

What I have....or will have come Christmas

Norms DAC and power supply, configured with the additional latch to do RGB.

20k scanner kit from the chinese department store.

Low powered homemade RG & B laser modules which will have TTL (when I perfect it)

Popelscan.

What I would like to know....at the moment

The scanner kit comes with a DMX board with many pre-programed beams and simple graphics, which it seems supports RGB.
    Can anyone tell me if I need to input norms DAC to that board? Or do I need to switch between the inbuilt DMX and the DAC to run it from popelscan?

I am sure as I get further into this I will be asking for more help but I think that will do for now, I thankyou in advance for your input.

Regards rog8811

Hey Rog

Great to see yet another new Uk member , there been quite a few new faces this year and quite simply the more the merrier.

Sadly i am a kind of plug and play type guy an i sincerely admire the in depth build you have planned , i am sure you already know theres quite a few chaps in here who have done the norms dac route and will i am sure pop along soon and help you out .

In the meantime WELCOME , and in case your not aware there an event in feb 08 called UKLEM - UK Laser Enthusiasts Meeting - please read up on it , look at photos of previous meet and consider coming along

PAUL
    In the beginning there was none. Then came the light - #1 UKLEM - 2007
    BUY UK LEGAL LASER POINTER :: NEW - Blue 460nm Laser Pointers

Default Thread read....

I have read the UK meet thread....I will have a look at my diary when I get back to work to see if I can come along, thanks for the welcome and invite.

Regards rog8811

You should have a look at our 20k scanners
    KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/

Cool

Welcome to PhotonLexicon, Rog8811! Hope you like it here... Glad to see you're taking the next step with your laser hobby. Be sure to take pictures of the build process. (We like pictures!)
    Quote Originally Posted by rog8811 View Post
    The scanner kit comes with a DMX board with many pre-programed beams and simple graphics, which it seems supports RGB. Can anyone tell me if I need to input norms DAC to that board? Or do I need to switch between the inbuilt DMX and the DAC to run it from popelscan?
    The DMX board you speak of is actually a mini-controller. It will output patterns directly to your scanner amps and the blanking lines on your lasers. In other words, it does the same job as Norm's DAC does, with the exception that Norm's DAC is connected to a computer which controls it, whereas the DMX board is designed to connect to a DMX lighting pannel to control it.

The DMX board will have a limited set of effects. (remember: they're all stored internally. You can't add new effects to the DMX board) Really it's designed more for stand-alone performances or live performances where a lighting tech mashes buttons on the DMX console to trigger the built-in effects.

Norm's DAC, on the other hand, will allow you to create entire shows ahead of time (using the Poplescan software) and then play them back through the DAC to control the scanners and the lasers. It may also support live-play, if the Poplescan software has a live player. (If not, there are other software packages that work with Norm's DAC that will give you this capability.)

So, to answer your question: No, the output of the DMX board does not get connected to Norm's DAC. You will either use Norm's DAC to control your projector or you will use the DMX board. But not both at the same time.

If you want to get really fancy, you could install a parallel port A/B switch that would allow you to select which controller you'd like to use. Each one would need to connect to the switch, and then the output of the switch would go to the inputs on the scanner amps and the blanking lines for the lasers.

Adam

Default ....Too late

My wife, bless her heart, looked up my IE history and found the chinese DS. So I already have the hardware nicely wrapped up under the christmas tree.... The laser modules and mounts are under way, my Norm's DAC is built but untested and my newly aquired laptop has popelscan installed.......

Now I need help to link it all up

Regards rog8811

Default Crossed post!

If you want to get really fancy, you could install a parallel port A/B switch that would allow you to select which controller you'd like to use.
    That is the info I was looking for I had an idea that that would be the way to go.

I will need to do a bit of research to work that one out

Thanks Buffo

Regards rog8811

Default 2nd double post...oops

Like this?

Regards rog8811

Imageshack is blocked by the firewall at work... I'll need to look at it later.

Adam

Default Just a thought.....

I wonder, would it be possible to configure a Belkin auto swich to control the change over.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BRAND-NEW-IN-B...QQcmdZViewItem

Regards rog8811
    Last edited by rog8811; 12-10-2007 at 13:23. Reason: adjusted link