Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone purchased these $10 clearance C-blocks in the past?

I don't have any use for them at the moment.
    It would be nice to know the specs though.

Saying that.....
    I have a dead greeny so I will take a couple if you get them.

Jim

I have seen these many times in the past and myself have wondered if they were of any use. SVC often sell laser stuff and never seem to know much about it. I realise they cant know everything about al that they get but it does suggest they dont care about what they sell and therefore would not care to help if a problem arose. I really hate that attitude - if they cant be arsed finding out what they are why should we be arsed buying. If they would sell smaller numbers it would be worth sampling to see.
    It worries me that that although they are not truly misleading us they suggest they may work for DPSS pump diodes - which is true but by the same token they could also just as likely not be 808.

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by stanwax View Post
    I have seen these many times in the past and myself have wondered if they were of any use. SVC often sell laser stuff and never seem to know much about it. I realise they cant know everything about al that they get but it does suggest they dont care about what they sell and therefore would not care to help if a problem arose. I really hate that attitude - if they cant be arsed finding out what they are why should we be arsed buying. If they would sell smaller numbers it would be worth sampling to see.
    It worries me that that although they are not truly misleading us they suggest they may work for DPSS pump diodes - which is true but by the same token they could also just as likely not be 808.

Rob
    Yes, I fully agree. That's why a group of us is banding together to minimise the personal cost. They do at least have a 30 day DOA warranty, which is better than most laser diode sales on ebay. Only 8 more to be spoken for, and it's go time.

Indeed, SVC is great for CPU fans and all - I used to stop by their place back when they were first starting up in SJ. Never been too impressed by the laser and other junk they surplus off though. I once bought a "25mW" Spectra Physics argon head off them that operated in the 2-3mW range.

I believe SenKat/Greg on LPF has bought one of these lots though, it'd be interesting to hear what he has to say about them. Otherwise I'd be very wary about hoping for much from that auction.

Exclamation

There doesn't seem to be enough leads going to the laser die for them to be high power 808's. The die is a lot longer than the ones I have here at 2 watts. You might want to see if Junktronix has seen ones like that...he may know a closer guess from the high res pic they have posted.
    You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich

i'd probably be in for one or two

I had an opportunity to buy the C-blocks that SVC is selling now on eBay. I tested a bunch and they were all either dead, low power (life test units) or low power, infrared (1400-1500nm). I recommended the original seller scrap them for the gold content. Buying laser components from an eBay seller that is obviously clueless is generally a bad idea.

I've also purchased a few of the cheap chinese 808nm laser diodes. They are OK for the price, especially the ones with FAC lens installed. The ones I tested were reasonably close to 808nm center wavelength, but a little wider spectrum than ideal. The microlens was dirty or misaligned so the output was not gaussian which might make it hard to get a good quality green beam from them. But they are cheap

Welcome back! It's been a while!
    CLICKY!!!

Admin: In the immortal words of Captain Planet: YOU HAVE THE POWER
    Admin: (To quit being a bitch)

Quote Originally Posted by Laser Ben View Post
    Welcome back! It's been a while!
    Yeah it has. Life took a major change in direction back in May. It's a long, ugly story, but in the end I've got a contract doing network engineering that was supposed to last 3 months but will probably end up going 15 months. At a rate that is close to what I was billing in '98-99 so I'm going to stick with it. Hopefully I'll be back to running Junktronix full time by mid-summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Junktronix View Post
    I had an opportunity to buy the C-blocks that SVC is selling now on eBay. I tested a bunch and they were all either dead, low power (life test units) or low power, infrared (1400-1500nm). I recommended the original seller scrap them for the gold content. Buying laser components from an eBay seller that is obviously clueless is generally a bad idea.
    A couple of other things. Typically when the lead is bent down it means that the diode failed testing. But since SVC is using 1 picture for all the auctions, there's no why to know what you'll actually get. And since the boxes I saw were all partially filled, they must be mixing types to get full boxes so you're going to end up with an assortment and need to test each diode individually. Got an OSA handy? How about a test jig for C-mounts?