Thread: 300mW laser pen ? 400mW HULK.. Fake or Real ?

Default 300mW laser pen ? 400mW HULK.. Fake or Real ?

I do this short and easy..

is this possible from a PEN laser ?? 300mW

http://cgi.ebay.com/Very-high-power-...sid=p1638.m122

And here is some more junk...ehm.. lasers.. :

http://www.dragonlasers.com/

I dont consider buy from them (but the blue temps me)
    But friends of me is asking.
    And I need to know for sure that I got my back covered up if I tell him that a 300mW laser PEN is not possible...... or is it ??

Thanx

Spymodex were well known at wicked lasers - laser community forum as being bit of a joke ..but then it was wicked lasers forum ? I am pretty sure their diodes spew more infrared than green light .

Also they are claiming 1 watt pump diode for 300mW of green mmmm is efficiency of green not around 6% ? sure i read that somewhere which would mean 60mW of green and 240 of IR , which would make sense

SPymode x have been around a long while but do seem to be well known for errr "overmarketing "

PAUL
    In the beginning there was none. Then came the light - #1 UKLEM - 2007
    BUY UK LEGAL LASER POINTER :: NEW - Blue 460nm Laser Pointers

Thanx for the answer

Ah and yes, I forgot how easy it is to fool the power Mesure.
    Just leak some IR and you got 300mW :P

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Lasermad View Post
    Also they are claiming 1 watt pump diode for 300mW of green <snip>
    is efficiency of green not around 6% ?
    Erm... not quite. The efficiency of the frequency doubling process (1064 nm to 532 nm through the KTP crystal) can be greater than 50%, whereas the conversion of 808 nm pump to 1064 nm IR is generally around 30%. So the overall efficiency is usually somewhere around 15% (from 808 pump to 532 output), though it can be as high as 20% or more with precision alignment and good coatings.

Basically, if you start with a full watt of 808 pump, you get around 300 mw of 1064, which should give you around 150 mw of green. If you've got really lousy coatings on the KTP, you might end up down around 100 mw for a worst case, while a best case scenario might have you up around 180 mw or so. (We'll ignore the hyper-efficient six-figure lab lasers for the moment. Also we'll ignore multi-watt lasers, because the efficiency curve isn't linear once you get up into the really high power levels.)

Now, remember that the E-bay auction he linked to said that the pump diode was rated at 1.5 watts, not 1 watt. At 1.5 watts, that would yield at least 500 mw of 1064, which with good coatings can easily give you 300 mw of 532 nm green.

Bottom line: based on the specs listed in the auction, it's plausible that the laser really is capable of outputting that much light. (Though I expect the thing will rapidly overheat, and then the performance will tank.)
    SPymode x have been around a long while but do seem to be well known for errr "overmarketing "
    This, I think, is the more important factor... If they've got a reputation for hype, you probably want to stay away from them - no matter what the auction listing says.

As fas as Dragon Lasers goes - if you remember I did a review for them earlier this year on one of their 80 mw DPSS blue lab lasers. However, after the review was completed, we discovered that the laser was actually a re-labeled CNI that was originally rated for just 20 mw! They found a particularly hot laser and re-labeled it! As it turned out, the guy that bought that laser noticed that the power output ended up dropping off to around 65 mw, where it seems to have stabalized.

Still, the fact that they're re-branding and up-selling the CNI lasers is more than a little dishonest in my book. I'd think twice before buying from them.

Adam

Thanx for your input buffo

it make sence!

And yes I always check what CNI have before I buy anything !
    if CNI dont manage to produce 300mW PEN, I doupt that anyone else can do it..

I have a dx200 http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1997 that reliably does 180mw on lithium AAA's and 120mw on NimH with about 5% IR leakage.

I also have a Hercules 400 that reliably does over 800mw and settles in the high 600 range after a half hour.

Also FWIW CNI only sells 532 pens up to 90mw. Any cni pen higher than that is mark up on the part of the reseller and they are binning the lasers from what they receive.

There are always freak units, but they are not in reliable quantities.

Quote Originally Posted by Aseras View Post
    I have a dx200 [url]
    Also FWIW CNI only sells 532 pens up to 90mw. Any cni pen higher than that is mark up on the part of the reseller and they are binning the lasers from what they receive.

There are always freak units, but they are not in reliable quantities.
    Apparently that has changed recently =D. Novalasers added some of the new to their lineup.