Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Laserscope 808 aoe power supply microchip

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by mliptack View Post
    I thought a Q-Switch is just an optic. How do you enable it then? Actuators I assume.
    Also, what happens if you start it up with the Q-Switch in place?
    Hey Max -

Well, without getting too technical, it is SIMILAR to a PCAOM, in that it is an RF-oscillated crystal, that 'passes' laser lines like a 'gate' - in this case, both the 1064nm IR and the 532nm 'green' - but unlike a PCAOM, it acts more like a 'light paddle', than just a 'gate / wavelength selector'...

As I understand it, (and those of you experts out there please correct as needed) with the coatings that are on the Q-sw crystal, like a PCAOM, when it is at one 'angle', it simply passes the 532 thru, but when ACTIVATED (and to answer your specific question about 'enabling' - that is a reference to putting 'power' to the Q-Sw RF-DRIVER - typically, +24VDC), the driver sends its RF TO the Q-Sw, 'oscillating' the crystal - but UNlike a PCAOM (which just passes/selects wavelengths based on that RF-controlled 'angle'), the 'Q' acts like a 'light paddle', where the coating for 532 'reflects' it back INTO/THRU the KTP crystal, thereby effectively 'doubling' the amount of 532 produced (efficiency depending on several factors, like KTP crystal-temp, alignment, etc) - Then as lamp current is increased, you will get more IR from the Rod, producing MORE 532, which then gets ~doubled (again, based on those 'efficiency factors) by the Q-Sw, and you've got 30, 40, 50, 60 or more Watts of 532 - it's quite the design...

- Did I get it right, Pro's out there? ie: Laserman532 IS a KTP Experts' Expert. (he more or less designed the first show systems EVER, used to WORK FOR Laserscope...) his system work is phenominal - makes mine look like a lego-laser!

Make sense? I'll see if I can dig up some print on it and post... peace..

- J
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Quote Originally Posted by dsli_jon View Post
    Hey Max -

Well, without getting too technical, it is SIMILAR to a PCAOM, in that it is an RF-oscillated crystal, that 'passes' laser lines like a 'gate' - in this case, both the 1064nm IR and the 532nm 'green' - but unlike a PCAOM, it acts more like a 'light paddle', than just a 'gate / wavelength selector'...

As I understand it, (and those of you experts out there please correct as needed) with the coatings that are on the Q-sw crystal, like a PCAOM, when it is at one 'angle', it simply passes the 532 thru, but when ACTIVATED (and to answer your specific question about 'enabling' - that is a reference to putting 'power' to the Q-Sw RF-DRIVER - typically, +24VDC), the driver sends its RF TO the Q-Sw, 'oscillating' the crystal - but UNlike a PCAOM (which just passes/selects wavelengths based on that RF-controlled 'angle'), the 'Q' acts like a 'light paddle', where the coating for 532 'reflects' it back INTO/THRU the KTP crystal, thereby effectively 'doubling' the amount of 532 produced (efficiency depending on several factors, like KTP crystal-temp, alignment, etc) - Then as lamp current is increased, you will get more IR from the Rod, producing MORE 532, which then gets ~doubled (again, based on those 'efficiency factors) by the Q-Sw, and you've got 30, 40, 50, 60 or more Watts of 532 - it's quite the design...

- Did I get it right, Pro's out there? ie: Laserman532 IS a KTP Experts' Expert. (he more or less designed the first show systems EVER, used to WORK FOR Laserscope...) his system work is phenominal - makes mine look like a lego-laser!

Make sense? I'll see if I can dig up some print on it and post... peace..

- J
    The RF sets up a standing wave in the crystal which causes it to act like a diffraction grating (just like an AOM or PCAOM). When the RF is on, it basically puts the laser out of alignment (technically, it destroys the Q or gain of the cavity, thus the name). During normal operation the q-sw allows the laser to lase in pulses - for the KTP/532 its about 20,000 pulses per second. Fast enough that you can't see the pulses unless you scan the beam quite fast. That's why they call it Quasi CW (QCW).

The problem is what happens when the q-sw is off for more than 1/20,000 of a second. The energy in the YAG rod builds up since there's nowhere for it to go. If you just turned the q-switch on at this point, all that energy would be dumped immediately which can damage the coatings on your optics, especially the KTP. Fortunately, the Q-switch driver has a first pulse suppression circuit that slowly ramps up the power any time the q-switch is turned on after having been off for a while.

There is a good picture of this at the bottom of page 11 in this doc

http://www.neostech.com/pdfs/Asize%5C51%5C51A15441.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Junktronix View Post
    That is a rockin setup! I figure anyone that's issued a key should know the basic startup / shutdown procedure. Probably a bad assumption.

Do you have the water level / water temperature / water conductivity sensors in the interlock loop?...Ever played with the remote for a SP Millennia?

I'll reply in detail to your other post about the Laser Quantum system later. I like to think I have a clue, but I will give it another look after the holidays. If it's not something dumb on my part, I'd definitely like to have you take a look at it. It's one of the gold box ones and LQ said the seal failed on mine causing contamination which I think is BS, but whatever...
    Hey Kevin -

RE: 'pimped-box' -Thanks! I have a couple other variations on the design as well, and have always desired to integrate some of the great ideas you proposed (ie: pick-off for W readings, real-time, digi-read of Oven-ohms, etc) for OUR systems, but how does the saying go: 'the cobblers' shoes...always..holes ??? Oh, I forget, but you get the point!

And yeah, if you think you can just give a client a key, a manual, a training video, SHOW them in person, WATCH/COACH them doing it, and then expect NOT to have them call you in a panic (during dinner, no-less) at a show wondering 'what happened to my green???', well then you just haven't been doing conversions long enough! (kidding...)

I DO have a couple nice circuit designs (did 'em myself, I'm so proud! I'd be happy to share - one for isolating / maintaining clean signals for the V coming from the ALE for the lamp current DPM readings, and one for older, water-cooled systems, where if water stops flowing (gets shut off, or a leak develops, etc), it breaks the interlock circuit, shuts the lamp off, and sounds an alarm (use that little super-annoying 'sonitrol' peizo from the OEM units!) , which has to be manually-reset - will not auto-restart until fault is corrected / reset...

And yes, I DO incorporate all flow / tank level / temp interlocks in-series - at LEAST the head thermistor is very important to maintain...
    I just build a little I/O 'junction box' that gets mounted in the now-empty 'motherboard section', where I can tie-in interlock-loop, and all controller tie-ins to the ALE 25-pin ribbon-jumper... also, a great place to mount +/-24 for on-deck galvos/beam shutters, etc (if you're goin' that route...) - PM-me your current email (I have an old one - not sure if it is still good?) and I'll email ya a zip folder of our 'standard cart' conversion / projector shots... Would love to see some of your work, too!

RE: Millennia, well, have PLAYED with one, but came *THIS* close to owning one one time, but some other guy beat me to the table with the bux by a few HOURS... he was in-town where the laser was, walked in, put cash on the table and skanked my in-transit bank transfer - that wasn't YOU was it??!!! - (kidding...)

RE: LQ, sure - will wait for your PM on it... will be happy to help as best I can...

And thanks for backing-me up with Max's questions - I forgot the most important one!! :

Quote Originally Posted by mliptack View Post
    Also, what happens if you start it up with the Q-Switch in place?
    Well, Max - you first go online and start trawling eBay for a new crystal! Then go to your local 'craft' store, and buy a necklace-mount for the crystal for your girl! Yeah, it does not take much at those VERY high peaks to pop a burn in your KTP -
    go ahead, ask me how I know...

gotta go eat, so ciao, guys... have a good one...

- j
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC03013.JPG  

....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Default Hey Kevin, how are ya....

Quote Originally Posted by Junktronix View Post
    Hey Marcus, Gimme a call after Jan 3 (or 4 depending on how much fun I have on NYE) - Kevin

How have ya been, happy holidays my good man. I will give ya call sometime after New Years, a week or so as I'll need a little rest after the huge ammount of Lighting and Laser Bookings. You will be happy to see how nice the Laserscope is now as we had it customized and totally re-built. It would be my pleasure to chat with ya again.

Chat soon,
    Marcus