Thread: laser hurt

Default laser hurt

Hello everyone,

I'm a laserist, I have a bad experience to see a 1.2w green laser directly at the laser beam on the wall. Then I feel my right eye is so uncomfortable, maybe I was hurt by the wicked light, however, it's now about 1year from the hurt,but my sight is ok, what I worry about is, if there some kind sequela on my unique eye in the future

Hope to get help from you

Just to be safe - if it still bothers you, go see an ophthalmologistand and let them know exactly what happened. And get some some laser goggles before tinkering around with one that strong again...
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

What you experienced is probably a flash blinding, even 100mW is bright. Like Stuka said, go to the doctor, have them check it out.

If there was any damage your brain with fill the missing parts of your vision in with the image it gets from the other eye.

Try closing your good eye and see if you see any weird parts in your vision.

I would recommend against going to the doctor because it is probably a waste of time and money. If you can see OK then leave it at that and be more careful. The doctor might be able to tell you you have some damage but he won't do anything other than give you a bill.

Thanks friends,

The matter now is I can see a disconnection silk on my pupil,it seems from the iris, but when I close my left eye, the sight of the hurt eye is ok as usual.

It is reported that the laser hurt has a accumulation from the past to the future, and it maybe outbreak and go to wrong in the future, is that true ?

As a laserist, if I were laser goggle, then I cannot see my lover laser freely,it will filter most the light, what's your deal with this

Also with the bad experience , I remind all yours please be carefull of your eyes though the light is so attractive to your eye.

Doctor will tell you that he needs to run more tests before he can tell you exactly whats going on. He will send you to his friend doctor who will charge leg and arm. Then Doctor will say about more tests needed. So at the end you will know nothing but will know for sure that it's not cheap.!
    I hired an Italian guy to do my wires. Now they look like spaghetti!

Cool

Tim;

If you are still this worried about the injury (over a year after it happened), then I suggest you go to an ophthalmologist (Note: not an optometrist, but an ophthalmologist) and have your vision checked out by an expert. In particular, you'll want him to do a detailed examination of your retina. Expect to pay a few hundred dollars for this.

Now, having said that, I believe he will tell you that you are OK. Or, at the very least, that any changes in your vision are caused by some other process (such as natural aging) besides viewing the bright spot on the wall from a 1.2 watt laser. While that exposure must have been bright, it was *highly* unlikely to cause permanent damage to your eyesight. Also, the things you describe in your post ("disconnection silk") do not sound like symptoms of a damaged retina... Rather, it seems that you are describing floaters, and they're actually quite common.

It may be that you'll spend $200 (or more) only to be told that your eyes are just fine. But if you are *worried* about your vision, then you should get it checked out anyway. After all, won't you feel better once you learn that you are OK?

Adam

Got to add weight to that last post... If you really think there is something wrong with your eye, go to a doctor. Lasers aren't the only thing that can go wrong. They're rarely a medical emergency even if they do, unless you catch enough energy to do obvious physical damage. A detaching retina IS an emergency, so if you're seeing any strange new veils, floaters, flashes, or deformation of visual image, get it checked out ASAP. It probably isn't that, but if it is, the last thing you should be doing is debating it. Get it checked out.

Tim, I don't know where you are in the world and I can only speak for the UK, but...

PLEASE, for your own peace of mind go and see an Optician/Optometrist. Whilst not absolutely essential, I would recomend that you find one that has a retinal imaging system, these are quite common nowadays. This way the Optometrist will be able to supply you with a picture of your retina to put your mind at rest, or if there IS any damage he/she will be able to discuss it with you whilst looking at the photographs.

The Optometrist will look closely at your retina with a retinoscope and check for any signs of damage. If you came into one of our branches and mentioned that you thought you may have suffered from a laser 'flash', the Optometrist would pay very specific attention and take a 'double' look so he/she didn't miss anything (this would NOT cost you any more money!). There are also some VERY sensitive visual field checking machines available now. If you're suffering any visual field loss these machines WILL detect it.

In the UK a sight test and eye examination will probably cost you in the region of £15/£20. That is unless you belong to an exempt group of people in which case it's free i.e., diabetics, glaucoma sufferers or their close relatives, those on low income, those under 16 (or up to 19 if in full time education), those over 60 etc. Go into an Opticians and ask them , if you want a retinal photograph that part will probably be in the region of £50.
    Cheers

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Quote Originally Posted by Buffo View Post
    It may be that you'll spend $200 (or more) only to be told that your eyes are just fine. But if you are *worried* about your vision, then you should get it checked out anyway. After all, won't you feel better once you learn that you are OK?
    Thats what I was thinking, going to the doctor will at least give you peace of mind.