Thread: visual analyser 8/Norms DAC

Default visual analyser 8/Norms DAC

I want to be able to output Norms DAC to a scope to test it out. My bench scope does not have X-Y capability so I had a look around and found "visual analyser 8" http://www.sillanumsoft.org/
    It seems to be a very nice piece of free software which has an X-Y option. Plus volt meter, frequency meter, signal generator...and more,
    It uses the sound card to capture signals.

I am way out of date with electronics and I could do with some help to get clear in my head what I need to do to connect up the DAC as I cannot believe that +/-15v into the sound card is a good idea
    If it helps the DAC chips areDAC0832LCN.

Help on this would be greatfully received.

Regards rog8811

I think that it would probably work OK for your application (viewing Norm's DAC output) since the frequency response required is so low. Without seeing it run I am not sure if I would trust it to give you a perfect view but it looks worth giving a try for sure. If you do it let me know how it works out for you.

You definitely don't want to feed +/- 15v into the soundcard. The circuit would need some type of calibrated attenuator.

One more thing, I just wanted to say that I got my used Tektronix 100Mhzscope 4 trace scope for $75 on Craigs list. So you might want to look around before making something that you can buy cheaper

Default The search is on...

I will start with a search on ebay for an interface of some description, there are loads of USB ones, so far only one sound card type found and that with no mention of connectability.

I have played with the scope using the laptops built in mic and a test signal, it looks very good so far.

I will certainly keep you informed if there seems to be any life in this.

Thanks carmangary for your input.

Regards rog8811

Default Getting there....

I have found this, it looks like exactly what I need to get this working. Google was my friend

Regards rog8811
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Osc-atten01.jpg  

Last edited by rog8811; 12-22-2007 at 01:21. Reason: Text added

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by carmangary View Post
    I got my used Tektronix 100Mhzscope 4 trace scope for $75 on Craigs list.
    That's a damn good price guys... Shit, if I didn't already have a 'scope I would be buying this one.

For comparison, I paid $100 (plus shipping) for my 2-trace, 25Mhz 'scope... Used of course, on e-bay.

Adam

Default first bit answered

I built the input adaptor and a pair of probes, put a couple of oscilator signals in and it works in the XY mode. It needs to be calibrated and I need to sort out some settings but there is hope for the idea.

Total price <£2 in parts...much as I would like a better bench scope that would eat into my laser budget.

Regards rog8811