Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: clandestinys response to scanning thread

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by clandestiny View Post
    note to buffo- this dovetales on our unfinished discussion about alignining multiple beams of the same color ( although the end result is technically overlapped beams as i discussed )
    Remind me to bring this up at FLEM Mark II. There are some interesting developments in my search for the holy grail. Still not practical, mind you. The overlapping/adjacent beams (either with knife-edge mirrors or an axicon like The Doctor proposed) are still the only real way to go. But with Bill Gates' money, there is another option. (Just not for us mortals)

Great pics, btw. Always nice to see big ion gear, even if I can't afford it.

As for the cig lighting, you *can* do that with a 4 watt CNI green... (Too bad I don't have one lying around or I'd video myself lighting a Macanudo Portofino and post it here.)

Adam

clandestiny is offline Eleventy-Billion Watt Ar/Kr >:)
    somewhere between orlando and san antonio

Well I can do that with the 40w laserscope too- :-0 just wanted to point out that the 4watt cni will cost some bread as well-

peace out-
    go big or go home

and in time the guilt you have been suppressing about dumping the 88 and the purelight- will start waking you up at three am just to laugh in your face-

lol

always embraceing his new solid state toys, but never missing the chance to lament about his old friends in the land of ions past -
    Hahaha! Well, you are right, I do sometimes regret getting rid of the ion's. This solid state junk just isn't what it could be, yet. Though I do think back to when I would have to rent a 25kW generator from Sunbelt just to run the damn purelight at full power as my insanely loud phase converter could only light the tube to about 15 amps tube current. I don't know, as much of a hassle as they were, they are still tops over this solid state stuff....

Dz- I love it. Your a class act. Best of everything to you in 2008-
    hope to see you at Flem Mark II- I believe it will sell out this time-
    go big or go home

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

You want to pay for the coating, you can have a AXICON right now. And the freaken doctor didnt invent it... A guy from Lobo Electronic GMBH did ... Only his were huge and for splitting ions, I just reversed the idea.

steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Quote Originally Posted by DZ View Post
    This solid state junk just isn't what it could be, yet.
    I respectfully disagree 13 years old and still kicking ass.

CLICKY!!!

Admin: In the immortal words of Captain Planet: YOU HAVE THE POWER
    Admin: (To quit being a bitch)

Hey Ben -

Quote Originally Posted by Laser Ben View Post
    I respectfully disagree 13 years old and still kicking ass.
    Yeah, but #1, consider the Manufacturer of that laser (compared to some of todays 'newcomers' that are still working major 'bugs' out...) - I (respectfully submit that solid-states from the likes of Spectra and Coherent are so robust BECAUSE of thier Gas-laser legacy - different mediums, yes, but 'standing' on a very long history of brilliant design / engineering... ie: how many 171s are out there with a 1980-date on the sticker, (or older) and are "still kicking ass" ;

#2, it might be 13 yrs old, but how many hours are actually on it? We've got a Purelight in the shop with just under 9,600 hours on it, and I just recently broke the first ampoule on it.. now that's a good laser! Show me one solid-state capable of producing a Purelights-amount (let alone the range, and beam-chars / quality, of course.. of Blue or Red, with 9,600+ hours on it, and 'still kicking' at the same power-level... Heck, does anyone out there have a Green with that many hours actually on it, still putting out spec-power? Maybe, but probably rare...

Not trying to be 'argumentative' just solidly in the 'Camp of Ion' I'll agree, OPSLs and Fibers show 'promise' as eventual ion replacements - not to mention the stuff I am sure is being worked-on 'behind closed doors', we haven't been 'allowed' to see, yet... but for now, like I always 'say'...

peace...
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Lets get to practicality....you guys are heavy hitters....the big events. Most here, unless mistaken, are not doing super bowl games or NYE parties at NYC like you ion guys can easily pull off....thanks to monster laser power. There are a few manus that have some really nice RGB units that are DPSS and diode.....like you said...mega bucks. Don't get me wrong..love the big guns...I can get access to lots of 3 phase...just not when I would want to play with a laser of that magnitude. So I will keep tinkering with diodes and crystals for fun. Now shame on me....I have been so busy with repairs that I have not completed the ONE show I started over 2 years ago when I got Pango'd. I am going to have to cut out laser time to really get into the software...show creation aspect. I wish I had the countless hours back now from aligning and building...but it was worth the experience and knowledge gained. I will be content with maybe a max power 2 watt RGB. It will do all I need to do ....... especially in a dark room with a few friends...really lights up the place. I will think of the balance of time and purchase a few lasers now and then....or build a couple nice reds. Nice lasers .......and someday the DPSS stuff will be obsolete....or just taken to a whole new level. Someone said that the lights were only half the show anyway.....
    You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich

who the hell dug up this old relic of a thread?
    go big or go home

Quote Originally Posted by dsli_jon View Post
    Hey Ben -

Yeah, but #1, consider the Manufacturer of that laser (compared to some of todays 'newcomers' that are still working major 'bugs' out...) - I (respectfully submit that solid-states from the likes of Spectra and Coherent are so robust BECAUSE of thier Gas-laser legacy - different mediums, yes, but 'standing' on a very long history of brilliant design / engineering... ie: how many 171s are out there with a 1980-date on the sticker, (or older) and are "still kicking ass" ;
    Couldn't agree with you more! I think that nearly all of the design and quality superiority comes from the experience of the company, much of which came from ion days.

Quote Originally Posted by dsli_jon View Post
    #2, it might be 13 yrs old, but how many hours are actually on it? We've got a Purelight in the shop with just under 9,600 hours on it, and I just recently broke the first ampoule on it.. now that's a good laser! Show me one solid-state capable of producing a Purelights-amount (let alone the range, and beam-chars / quality, of course.. of Blue or Red, with 9,600+ hours on it, and 'still kicking' at the same power-level... Heck, does anyone out there have a Green with that many hours actually on it, still putting out spec-power? Maybe, but probably rare...
    I'll let the pictures speak for themselves, this is running at the factory set current for 5.5W, very little current degradation over the lifetime.

CLICKY!!!

Admin: In the immortal words of Captain Planet: YOU HAVE THE POWER
    Admin: (To quit being a bitch)