Thread: do we beleive this?

Default do we beleive this?

Just spotted this on eblay
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RED-400mw-lase...QQcmdZViewItem
    this looks exactly like the diodes Ive been pulling from lite-on and optiarc dvd burners and he is saying he has put 700mA through it! I have gingerley squeezed mine to 310mA and have always said that I fancied testing one to detrction but never got the nerve - though I have tested some to destruction unwittingly
    Ok he suggests to cool it with a tec - but does not say its needed - but 400mW and 700mA! I just find this too much to beleive. Unless it will work but have a lifetime of minutes.

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

Lightbulb

I know he is going to kill that meter slamming 400mW into it. You are supposed to use a Nd filter over 100mW and I do not see one on it. Also, who knows what the meter is set for. I think they do 635 and 660 but not 650nm either. And where is this TEC he mentions? Yea, I agree, must have a life span shorter than a good laser show.
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

If it is a DVD diode (and it certainly looks like it) then it probably would take that kind of current, but as you say, only for a short while. It will also be a loooong way from the quoted 650nm too.

He also neglects to mention in the "Specs" the expected lifetime, if run at 700mA I would liken it to that of an adult mayfly

well actually the tec is very clear in the powermeter laser multimeter picture - you can see the red and black leads of it exiting towards the multimeter. Im not sure on the thermal integrity of resting a device on a tec - but I guess its better than nothing. It would be more use if actual case temp was quoted and to know that the 0.7A is going through the diode.
    Im aware of the andover meter but not famliar with it to know what its is and isnt cappable of.
    Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner

"To prolong life run below 500ma." hahaha

yeah Max I think thats whats called an bit of an understatement on his part!

Rob

haha yeah no kidding. But honestly even pulsed most reds (in DVD burners or not) are rated at 400mW Max output... maybe this is just a lucky diode... but even if it is, I wouldn't want to buy it. He has probably pushed it to a critical point several times already. I am sure there's not much life left there.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by stanwax View Post
    well actually the tec is very clear in the powermeter laser multimeter picture - you can see the red and black leads of it exiting towards the multimeter.
    I see, I wasn't looking for a 437W TEC, damn. At first glance it looked like part of the table... Who needs thermal intergity below freezing? I have a TEC that looks just like that from a TEC computer water block. Takes a 24V, 25amp power supply to run it. The one I had with poor cooling on the hot side would take an idle CPU to -10C. That diode has to be living on the edge.