Thread: Parallel port for popelscan

Default Parallel port for popelscan

I am trying to connect popelscan via the parallel port to the new 20k CDS scanner kit, this thread.....
    http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...ead.php?t=3614

I thought I had the galvo's running from the computer, (though the image was not what I expected) until I exited popelscan and realised that the computer was having no effect at all, the galvo's are probably just moving to pickup.

Now for the newbie observations and questions

OBS......I put a scope on the data pins of the parallel cable and I see that they are doing something (hi/lo) with popelscan running.

Q.....How do I configure the computer/popelscan to ensure that it is sending the correct data?

OBS...... If the scanner is powered up on its own the "work" LED lights.
    With popelscan on and running, then power on to the scanner sometimes the "work" LED stays on.....sometimes it goes off and the galvo's make a different sound. My problem here is I have not found any information on what all the buttons and settings do on popelscan. I have not found which buttons/settings I need to click and in what order to get the "work" LED to go off....I have searched the web for hours for info with no joy.

Q.....Does anyone have a help file/operators manual for popelscan that they can copy to me? Or can someone tell me what needs to be enables/disabled/set etc?

I think I will leave it there for the moment, any help on this would be appreciated

Regards rog8811

Wouldn't USB be faster than the parallel port?

Are you using Norm's DAC? If so, see if you can get it working if his software before fooling around with Popelscan. You don't really need to but it might make things easier to troubleshoot.

Some things to check are to make sure you have the correct LPT port selected. You can look in your device manager to see what yours is. If you have a scope, then you should be able to follow the data from the LPT port through the DAC chips and onto and through the op amps.

It's been awhile since I have used Popelscan but I don't think you have to do much more than select the correct LPT port and then enable the output.

Oh yea, there is another setting on Popelscan for use with the 3 color DAC or the one that just uses pin 1 on the LPT port for blanking. I don't know what setting is needed for Norms DAC so try both. I think in Popelscan it is called "switch board" or something with the word "switch" in it.

Good luck.

Popelscan needs UserPort-Driver to access LPT-Port directly under Win2000/XP.

Shouldn't have to. I never used it and I have run it under XP and Vista. Might not hurt to try, though.

Default Thanks so far

@nanoWatt, If I end up using Norm's DAC he says not suitable for USB, also I am on a tight budget so I will only go that route if forced.

@decix, In my searches on the web I found and installed that, I now have to select the HEX code from a drop down in Popelscan...So that is one step in the right direction.

@carmangary, I have Norm's DAC but when the kit arrived I found that it came with its own built in DAC (see thread link in first post).
    The LPT port select is another drop down on Popelscan that I had not played with, I will check in control panel to see what I need to set it at.
    3 colour is the "switch PCB" tick box, that is one I had found.
    Scoping this board would be difficult as the DAC is all surface mount under the board.

Well that gives me a few things to try, thank you

Regards rog8811

OK, I read the thread. If I understand correctly, you are not using Norm's DAC but the DMX board/DAC that came with the galvos. If that is the case, you will probably never get it to work with Popelscan.

Are you sure that the DB25 port on the DMX board is actually to control the DAC? Even if it is, there is almost no chance that it uses the same pinout/protocol as what Popelscan expects.

Unhappy I hope not

you will probably never get it to work with Popelscan
    I have told CDS what I want to do and am awaiting confirmation as to whether it will or won't work......I have also told them that they need to update the description on the sales web page to reflect the fact that you need a bit more than just a laser to have a working projector.

Plan B is to look to see how easy it would be to connect up Norm's DAC instead of the one supplied.

I looked at the menu bar on Popelscan, there are two drop downs, one says "switches" and the choices are com1 &com2...neither are default, do I need to set one of them?
    The second one says LTP port and the drop down is a list of Hex adresses. I am selecting the one that matches an address in the resources list for LTP1, I guess that is correct???

Regards rog8811