Thread: LA Studio & LivePRO HELP files available

Default LA Studio & LivePRO HELP files available

For those who need them (due to various versions of the application downloads), I have all the HELP files for all the LAStudio applications (including TraceIT) and LivePRO, both in the original MS Windows CHM format, and in MS Word DOC format.

Provided I wouldn't be stepping on any Pangolin toes by doing so, I'd be willing to post these online for anyone who needs them. Due to the sizes, some of the files would need to be posted on a file-sharing site, perhaps even the ILDA file swap site, if I can get upload access.

For those in the know - comments and guidance would be appreciated!
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

ildaswap (ftp access info):
    IP/HOST: ftp.ildaswap.net
    PORT: 21
    LOGIN: ilda
    PASSWORD: swap

EX of FTP client : FlashFXP, CuteFTP

Pangolin FB3 QS/LivePro/SMS2Laser
    Riya MultiBus
    Pangolin LD2000 Pro

OK -

The HELP files are now posted on the ILDA swap site.

I posted these to help out the folks here who may have legally acquired the various versions of these applications but didn't receive the HELP files. If anyone considers this to be a copyright infringement or any other kind of legal "no-go", please let me know, and I'll remove them from the swap site.
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Sorry guys, but this is a copyright violation.

Let's review some basic concepts. This isn't meant to be condescending, even if it might sound that way...

First, let's review the words Copy and Right.

Well, with real physical products, like for example the chair that you are sitting on, it is not easy to make a "copy" of the chair. Someone would have to acquire wood, metal, screws, nails, foam, etc. Then put forth a whole lot of effort to duplicate the "chair". Unless someone has a company buying a lot of wood, metal, screws, nails, etc. and making a whole lot of these things, it is very likely that someone could not produce a "copy" of the chair for less money than the original manufacturer. In fact, in most cases, it will cost far more for an individual to produce a "copy" of physical items, than to just go down to the store and buy one themselves.

This is not the case with products like books and software. For the cost of only the paper, you can create a copy of a book with a copying machine. And likewise, for the cost of only the disk space, it is possible to make a copy of software using a copying machine (i.e. the computer). And because of this, it costs far less for people to make a copy, than it does for someone to create the work in the first place. For that reason, there are international laws and treaties called Copyright laws.

Now we can look at the second word -- "right". This means, exactly who is it that has the right to reproduce works. In the case of a book, only the publisher has the right to make copies. In the case of software (and any associated files), in most cases, only the software company who produced the software (and associated files), has a legitimate right to reproduce and distribute these works.

In the case of LivePRO and other help files from Pangolin, only Pangolin has the legitimate right to reproduce and distribute these. We will gladly do so to any LEGITIMATE Pangolin client.

With that having been written, please remove these from any public forums, and please refrain from distributing these to anyone. As part of the license agreement that is displayed each time you run a new version of our software, and on the envelope, and all of our legitimate download sites, Pangolin users agree to certain things. Distributing help files is certainly covered by our license agreement...

Best regards,

William Benner

Removed as requested!
    RR

Sweet.....

Hey Bill, this brings me to a question. The best that I can gather, the video's that I've posted in the past of lasershows, particularly the shows that come with Pangolin, is ok. Is this correct? Also, what about screen shots? I've posted one or two in the past while trying to show something to someone. Are screen shots of the software ok? Thanks!

Hi Dave,

Yes, all of that is fine. From the license agreement:

This provision does not apply to the following (these are OK):
    • Distribution of frames, animations or shows that you create.
    • Distribution of Pangolin frames, animations or shows by using video, film or other non-laser-projectable media.
    • If you have permission from the person who provided Pangolin with the frames, animations or shows AND that person retained the rights to the frames, animations or shows.
    • Frames, animations or shows provided by Pangolin but in the public domain such as ILDA test pattern frames
    • Any frames, animations or shows which have additional or differing restrictions detailed in text (.TXT) files located in the same directory as the frames, animations or shows.

Best regards,

William Benner

Hey Bill;

This topic reminds me of a related question... With regard to the square-wave quadrature test pattern that comes with Pangolin: I assumed that it was a public-domain test pattern, so a while back I tried to save it as ILDA to send to someone here (I forget who at the moment) to help them tune their galvos... However, since it was originally saved as an .lds file, I could only save it back as .lds. (Which didn't do the other PL member any good, since he had a FB3.)

Is this test pattern in fact a copyrighted Pangolin file, or is there some other reason I couldn't save it as an ILDA file? (Maybe because it was originally in .lds format and thus my intro board wouldn't let me save it as ILDA? That's a "pro" board feature, right?)

Adam

Hi Adam,

I am not sure if we secured the test pattern file or not. I want to say "no", but I could be wrong.

Secured frames are easy to spot. There is an upper area of LD2000 control window that turns "orange" and says the word "Secure". That will tell you right there.

Test patterns don't seem like they should be secured, and I don't remember securing any off the top of my head. But I could be wrong. It could be that I secured an entire directory worth of files, and the test pattern files were affected as well.

Best regards,

William Benner