Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Newest game: Laseroids

Hi Mike,
    check you're email, maybe you would like to test the release version??

A lot of attention went into point 4. All graphics were designed with the least amount of points and a sorting algorithm is implemented to optimize the blanking distance between on-screen elements. The game runs between 24-30kpps on 30k scanners. In two player mode when a lot of stuff is on screen: more bullets, explosions and asteroids, the speed needs to be 28k5 or higher but graphics still look fine.

cheers, Z.

Thumbs up

Very cool! I remember you mentioned the concept of a list of screen objects, sorted by location a while back. I thought it was a great idea. Out of curiosity, is the sort based on a raster-type order, meaning top to bottom, left to right, or did you go from center screen and spiral outwards? I was thinking of turning the screen into a grid, say 50x50, then starting at the center moving in a square snake type spiral outwards. As you encounter each object's center along the spiral, you would add them to the sorted list.
    Great work!
    -Mike

Awesome Zoof.
    What can I say except Im supposed to be up for work in the morning and im not gonna get to bed for ages yet playing this.
    got 1669 on about my 5th game complete fluke cos now I cant get near that score
    Better keep tryin - cant wast time here

See ya

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

Rob, good to hear you are thoroughly testing it
    Points are awarded as:
    Big asteroid = 3
    .. asteroid = 6
    .. asteroid = 9
    smallest asteroid = 12
    Ufo = 50
    in two player mode when you die the other ship gets 20 pts.

Mike, I've applied a sorting algorithm called 'local search' to find an order of items with minimal length of the blanked connecting lines. Basically what happens is that two random items are removed from the list and are reinserted into the best spot for that configuration. If the total blanked length is shorter, the new order is kept and else it is discarded. I'm able to squeeze in 200 runs of this in between frames which seems enough to get a good solution in one frame already. The great thing here is that sorting simply continuous the next frame so a lower number of sorting runs would do very well too especially for a game with slower moving objects.

cheers,

Default Laseroids ready for download

Laseroids is now available for download.
    Our new member D3C1X had kindly offered server space for download.

The link: http://d3c1x.blogsite.org/files/lase...1-01-2008).zip

hope you all enjoy it and are willing to support my efforts

best,
    Matthijs

Thank you !!!

Downloading it now...

cheers !!!

You never answered my question about support for Moncha. Did you miss the question or are you just not interested in it?

Thanks,
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by carmangary View Post
    You never answered my question about support for Moncha. Did you miss the question or are you just not interested in it?

Thanks,
    Gary
    Sorry Gary, I was still thinking about it. I've decided not to share the source because it has become a good basis to develop these concepts and I want to keep that edge just in case I move in that direction.
    It's hard balancing time between this hobby, work and GF and I dont even have kids yet! So I'm using the time I have to develop new concepts. Therefor building support for other hardware is not really interesting now. So I'm afraid I can't make any commitment to implementing the Moncha API.

Now, I realise that only a small amount of people is served with easylase only support, especially in this group but I hope to at least inspire others to do similar stuff. There is SO MUCH possible with a computer, a laser, a DAC and an API.. really, I hope to see stuff in 5 years time that we couldn't have imagined now.

cheers,
    Matthijs

Thumbs up

I do really like your job to the Easylase !!

And I really want to be updated to other projects you do

So I will donate to your PayPal and hope it will give you some inspiration to continiue your work
    And I hope that everybody else that is using this nice sweet little games also help out and give a Donato to this nice guy giving us FREE laser games (that ohter laser companies take thousend of dollars to share with us)

Cheers !!!

I really like the games, made a donation, respect the choice to maintain source code, appreciate the hard work, and cannot wait to see what's next!
    -Mike