Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's Baaackk!

Default It's Baaackk!

Well, I didnt give up on the 636nm/150mW project since I popped a $300.00 diode, it just made me more determined to get it up again... I still got 2 more to go May have to make a dually..
    I looked at it outside in the rain and it's a really bright beam. Compared to a 660 it looks orange, but by itself it looks a really bright red..
    (my cheap webcam doesnt do it justice imho..)
    picys:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 636 laser.JPG  

Cool

Lookin' good there, Steve-o!

What is the spot size at, say, 50 ft from the diode?

Adam

Thanks Buffo!
    (wow, I need to clean my road-case)
    Spot size/divergence isnt very good yet, I gotta get some rod lenses on order and do more 'xperimenting..

Nice one steve-o, im glad it hasn’t affected your determination, once you get the rod lenses set up I think the beam specs should come back into the right ball park, take your time on this one I nearly cried for you when you said you fried one. Just a bit of advice put some goggles on, if you haven’t got any turn the power down considerably if you can the last time I was waving pieces of precision ground rod lenses about near a diode I nearly paid the price, the rod lense acted like a large piece of optic fibre but lucky enough it was very divergent I should have known better springs to mind, good luck and keep them pics coming

Thanks Dude--
    Just have to fig out where to get the rod lenses from... edm charges an arm and a left nutt 4 s/h .. :/ .. gotta get a place .. .. Prob Osls or ..

Default Progress being made..

What is the spot size at, say, 50 ft from the diode?
    Adam, about 32mm. At the output aperature is 3mm. Trims to 2mm at the beam-waist about a foot away from the ap.

..strange.. in the pics the beam looks pink, looking at the beam now it looks bright orange.. oh well, cheap web-cam I guess.. I dont have colour correction
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 636.JPG  

Last edited by steve-o; 01-05-2008 at 19:45.

Kaz-
    once you get the rod lenses set up I think the beam specs should come back into the right ball park, take your time on this one I nearly cried for you when you said you fried one.
    Thanx for the sentiment.. no crying needed at this point tho-- (see above) I almost cried and regurgitated tho.. .. no rod lenses at this point.. i found a lil trick w/ lenses.... seems to work..

Smile

32 mm at 50 ft isn't bad. That's about twice what a Maxyz module does. Still, you're way ahead of a 635 nm diode, and you haven't tried the rod lenses yet.

Dude, I think you're on to something here! With a little more work, and maybe a pinhole to clean things up, I think this is totally viable for laser show use. For damn sure it's going to be better than a 635 diode.

Keep up the good work!

Adam

Seems to be coming along, time-consuming as hell tho..Yeah the pinhole is next and a small amount of overdrive after that. I'm running it at 247mA, it's staying cool, Iop is 253mA (280 published on the spec sheet- 253 hand written on the package for Po of 150 mW) and Imax is published at 360mA. I think I can get away with 285-290.. Got any cheap sources for rod lenses?
    I dont know if I'll need them, tho, 'cause there's a way around it. (pardon the pun)

Cool

Sorry Steve-o... Don't have a clue about optics suppliers. Might want to check with OneStopLaserShop. They might be able to direct you to a decent supplier. Mixed Gas may have a few suggestions too.

Glad to see you're still pursuing this though... It could really end up being a viable product. I'd consider paying up to ~ $500 to add 150 mw of 636 nm red to my projector, assuming you manage to tame that beam... (Of course, that would mean I'd need to buy that custom dichro for $96 a pop too, but what the hell, it's only money!)

Adam