Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: S-KY 500mW 532nm Laser Module.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by marconi View Post
    Sounds like you have the TTL or the old analog model.
    I was thinking the same thing.

Ben, the new Maxyz modules sport one of the fastest blanking circuits available for a show laser. My Maxyz module pair is faster than *EVERY* other laser I own or have ever tested, including the newest model Lasever blue that I just received from China. (Which, I'm happy to report, is now re-installed in my projector and working quite well!)

Marconi guarantees 50Khz performance on these new units, but the circuit has been tested to 120Khz, and could be pushed to 150Khz with a few mods.

Actually, the super-fast blanking (and recovery) on the new Maxyz modules is a bit of a pain if you're using Chinese lasers with them... They're so quick, they make red tails at the beginning of just about any line that has a little red in it. I need to build that delay circuit that Bill Benner was talking about in an earlier thread. (Think the circuit is still on the Pangolin website somewhere...) Sorry Chuck, but there really is such a thing as too fast!

Ben, my old TTL Maxyz module wasn't much faster than my original lab top Lasever Green (which was also TTL) that I've had since 2002. If you've got one of those old TTL units, then what you're reporting makes sense.

But if you've got a new Maxyz module, then either something is seriously wrong with it, or your galvos aren't tuned properly and the fast blanking recovery on the Maxyz module is showing you the "skid" of the scanner as it overshoots the point and snaps back, while the other laser doesn't come on until the galvo has already centered on the point.

Adam

Well considering how crappy my galvos are, that might be the problem. The serial numbers are 394 and 393.
    CLICKY!!!

Admin: In the immortal words of Captain Planet: YOU HAVE THE POWER
    Admin: (To quit being a bitch)

what you described, with the output power reaching spec below and above 5V modulation sounds like a modulation or test setup issue. It looks like you are using a directly-connected Power supply to test the modulation? How far above 5V did you go in your testing?

Sorry to hear it didn't last. But, after looking at the 'manual' at least we know your last name!

I tested it to 5.5vwhich should be enough to get a proper output. There is also a setting on the laser where the there is no modulation. That setting is where the laser should be on gull power. It was lower power on that setting and it only produced 501mw on the modulation from the power supply. That was at 4.2V. Sorry for spelling this was typed on my phone.
    CLICKY!!!

It's been a while, I feel that I should leave feedback. I shipped the laser back to S-KY for service after the diode died. It was shown as delivered and I sent an email asking about the status. I recieved a response saying that the company had entered a partnership with a "more valuable, important customer". I was never able to finish my review, but I would have to say that I would not buy from them given the choice. On a scale of 1-10 I would give them a 3.
    CLICKY!!!

Ben thanks for the update and I'm really sorry to hear that. The 'more important customer' comment really urks me! I can believe a company would say anything like that.

Was your money refunded?

I am surprised you gave them a 3!!!

I ended ip spending $275 on shipping when I was told in the contract that they would cover return shipping. I will not buy from them. Their wholesale prices to constantly changed, that let me know that they were just making it up. I would like to thank bridge for the message.
    CLICKY!!!

s-ky are not that bad but for that price what do you expect.... i have seen 500mw green for over $800 s-ky destroy all other prices but at a cost of quality

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat View Post
    s-ky are not that bad but for that price what do you expect.... i have seen 500mw green for over $800 s-ky destroy all other prices but at a cost of quality

Are you joking?!? Not bad for the price - Laser Ben's laser died after 3 hours of use! Granted this may be an example of an outlier in a data set, but then to follow it up with that email. That is pretty low.

-Max

I would have to say that the quality was decent, nothing like a CNI laser but better then others I have used. I was dissapointed with the quality of the power supply. The head was nice, but the power supply was not very strong and it was not insulated well at all.
    CLICKY!!!