Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: S-KY 500mW 532nm Laser Module.

Default S-KY 500mW 532nm Laser Module.

I was recently sent a 500mW 532nm Laser for testing from S-KY/LaserBTB. This is their DPGL-500 unit. The laser arrived last week, a few days after shipping it. I have almost completed testing. I found the manual that was included was not very descriptive and somewhat hard to understand. I have attached a new manual that I made for the laser.

The laser is for sure not a CNI as some people have thought they were. The module is very unique and the power supply appears to be as well.

Performance: The laser only just reached 500mW when it was on a setting without modulation. When provided 5V for modulation, the power was only around 325mW. When that voltage was lowered to about 4.2V, the power jumped dramatically to 501mW also at 5.3V the laser was at full power. I setup the laser with scanners and a FB3 board and the laser was able to display any pattern without any blanking problems, the laser was actually better at modulation then my dual maXYZ! The beam specs were right on, the beam is almost perfectly circular with a diameter of 2.5mm and a divergence of less then 0.75mRad at 200 yards. Laser is very stable, when tested with my new Ultima it has a stability of only +-14.33% over 30 minutes!

Quality:
    This laser appears to be very well built at first glance. When I looked closer, there was 1 screw missing and the bottom of the power supply and head was slightly scratched suggesting that the laser had been used. Other then those thing, the laser is very nice and pretty high quality.

Other
    The laser is loud, there are 2 fans in the power supply and another in the laser head. They blow a lot of air, but they could use being turned down a bit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 027.jpg  

029.jpg  

034.jpg  

050.jpg  

CIMG9891.jpg  

CLICKY!!!

Admin: In the immortal words of Captain Planet: YOU HAVE THE POWER
    Admin: (To quit being a bitch)

Here are some more pictures.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DPGL-500 User Manual.pdf  

004.JPG  

001.JPG  

CLICKY!!!

Looks like you're having fun with that Ultima =P

"The laser is for sure not a CNI as some people have thought they were."
    I can't help but find this comment ironic. "Some people" is you I'm assuming?

Anyway, so the results at a glance seem to say its underpower at 367mW. What is the spec'd warm up time on this unit? Any chance you can let it run the warm up time and then test its average output to see if its really as bad as it seems. Thanks! (kinda wondering because of Lava's GB too. I just got 3 lasers from S-KY, two of which were underpower)

There is no warm up time spec'd, but I let it run all night and there was no noticeable change in power.
    CLICKY!!!

Very sad news, after running for about 3 hours so I can take measurements every 10 minutes, the laser died! One second it was on and the next it went out. I have tried everything I can including turning the laser off and then waiting for it to cool down. The laser still produces about 1mW at a TEM01. I'm sending an email to S-KY now to see what they recommend.
    CLICKY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Laser Ben View Post
    Performance: The laser only just reached 500mW when it was on a setting without modulation. When provided 5V for modulation, the power was only around 325mW. When that voltage was lowered to about 4.2V, the power jumped dramatically to 501mW also at 5.3V the laser was at full power. I setup the laser with scanners and a FB3 board and the laser was able to display any pattern without any blanking problems, the laser was actually better at modulation then my dual maXYZ!
    Sorry to here it died., However I have a question for you.
    How did you test the modulation speed?
    Also, Looking at what you spec'd for modulation characteristics I find it hard to believe it performed better, seeing that its all over the place instead of linear.
    To do a proper speed test requires disassembly and tested with a scope at the diode.
    or, at least with a photodetector to a scope.
    Also that being a DPSS laser it has to show lag.
    Altho that laser may do over 30khz ,,will it do 100khz? linearly.
    If it did perform better than what I made than there is something wrong with the laser I provided you.

Just an observation
    "My signature has been taken, so Insert another here"
    http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/sam/laserfaq.htm
    *^_^* aka PhiloUHF

I tested it with a function generator and oscillascope. Set up the function generator for a square wave at 4.5v. I set up the function generator on CH2 and a photodetector with a photodetector on CH1 and set them scaled and overlapping. It did 34k fine but started having strange artifacts past that.

On patterns, I have a show with by dots and with the maxyz modules the dots are lines where as with this one theyre dots.
    CLICKY!!!

Default dial my phone number or answer me via MSN

Ben,

Far away from you, I did not know the details what happened, I dial your phone,not connected well, dial my phone number or answer me via MSN...

Kevin, S-KY

Quote Originally Posted by Laser Ben View Post
    I tested it with a function generator and oscillascope. Set up the function generator for a square wave at 4.5v. I set up the function generator on CH2 and a photodetector with a photodetector on CH1 and set them scaled and overlapping. It did 34k fine but started having strange artifacts past that.

On patterns, I have a show with by dots and with the maxyz modules the dots are lines where as with this one theyre dots.
    We would be interested in your test setup.
    What model detectors and how you are handling saturation.
    The newer analog Maxyz are capable of well past 50khz clean. They can also pass video
    should you be inclined to do so.
    Sounds like you have the TTL or the old analog model. Those are only spec'd to 30khz.
    Pass me the serials and I can look em up, Thanks
    "My signature has been taken, so Insert another here"
    http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/sam/laserfaq.htm
    *^_^* aka PhiloUHF

Default TTL 0-20K, Analog 0-5V

Have you noted that this laser is our standard type of TTL 0-20K, Analog 0-5V?

If our buyer need >30K,must tell us in advance, and without more payment.