Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Review - 100mw 473nm Lasever module

Default Review - 100mw 473nm Lasever module

Ok ive only been able to test this for a few mins in my projector.

this is a great module, i love its small size. makes it great for fitting into a scanner.

the psu gets mega hot and does need some serious cooling

The module starts at 40mw and after 5 mins of warming up goes to 122mw and seems to stay around that power. There is hardly any scatter at all from this laser, this module has analogue blanking.

the unit is focusable which i did adjusted slightly

the module does have a great beam

its about 2-3mm at apeture

and measures about 8-10mm at 16 metres

two videos

http://s80.photobucket.com/albums/j1...5122007032.flv

http://s80.photobucket.com/albums/j1...3122007030.flv
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Looking good man! Cant wait to see some white light pictures!

I remember reading somewhere that the Power Supplies needed a lot of cooling otherwise you could damage the head. Cant remember where I read that, I think it was something that David mentioned at one point.

-Max

after 5 mins of use the psu get untouchable hot. so sounds about right to me
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

lasever oem power supplies must be heatsinked. especially the blue. At least strap that PS on something made of metal

it will be on a 5mm thich aluminium board when in my projector. but im wondering if thats enough
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

and maby have a fan blowing into the PSU ?
    I like the smal modules of lasever, but because of the heat problems, I have not ordered any lasers from them.

So IF a fan is blowing directly over the PSU will be fine??
    Maby an 60mm fan?

Pangolin FB3 QS/LivePro/SMS2Laser
    Riya MultiBus
    Pangolin LD2000 Pro

well im gona have the two psu mounted onto my 5mm alum base plate and ive also got a 1 inch by 1i nch alum bar on order i will be mounting that to the side of the psu as well.

if thats not enough i will have to mount some fans within the box
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Mounting the PSU to a piece of aluminum makes a world of difference. If you really wanna fix the problem though, I just wire tied a regular el-cheapo computer fan through the holes in the PSU case and it more than gets the job done. Also keep in mind you don't need to worry about keeping the PSU as cool as the laser head. The head should normally be kept as close to room temp as you can, the electronics on the PSU are usually spec'd to a good many celsius above ambient temp though.

Next we'll see TECs on the driver boards too!

Andy
    mounting the psu on ally plate will make a world of difference but make sure that your optics lasers and scanners are not mounted on the other side. I know you were talking about a split level system - if that plate is the divider you may run into alignment drift as it all warms up - you will never eliminate this ut you can minimise it by keeping everything cool.Therefore it may be better to have 2 plates close together with an air space between - even if its only a few mm. Then you can have your fans moving air across the psu plate on both sides and it will move some air from the laser plate and assist cooling there without having fans in the optics area.

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk