Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: mini laser projector

Quote Originally Posted by dsli_jon View Post
    Hey highvolt -

...Yeah, like for example, this dragster doesn't REEALLY have a 40W KTP in the nose, and it doesn't REEALLY have a mini-WL projector in the tail, and it wasn't REEALLY projecting Pangolins' logo on this hotties' thigh (in fact, she wasn't even AT this race!)

- So, yeah ya gotta be careful of them photo-'strations out there...

And hey, Bill - would love to see and hear more about your mini-projector - we MAY have use for a few / possible public outlet for this type of product, coming to Long Beach, CA in 2008... CAN'T SAY ANY MORE HERE, but it involves a very-highly industry-respected 'Brand'... could make for a good co-branded leveraging-strategy... PM-me, if ya wanna chat...

ciao
    - J
    Holy S()iT you mean there is a dragster, 40 watt yag, pangolin logo, pl logo & crowd in that Photo???

Maybe, but I can think of a lot of consumer applications for it like Christmas type things to show on the side of your house, cheap toy projectors to take the place of those $20 laser crab type devices. I think that if you can get that technology under $50 bundled in with a 5mw laser diode then it will be hot items at christmas time.

They already have those sound cards on a USB stick. It would only take a slight modification to turn that into a DAC that could drive it. You could put the entire laser scanner in a golf ball sized device. Maybe add a microcontroller with SD RAM and you have a projector that you can put in your pocket. Perfect for raves, etc.

Sure, the quality would suck but for those applications it doesn't matter. Besides, the quality is bound to improve.

What tickles me is the pic of the kids projecting an image onto a white T shirt & white paper here
    http://www.microvision.com/pico_proj.../embedded.html
    are we to beleive with an RGB device you can create black!!!?...I think that has been posted a couple of months early. Repost on 1st April.

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by carmangary View Post
    In the link to the development kit it shows the device scanning the familiar Canadian Goose frame on a wall. It isn't photoshopped. So, why are you saying it doesn't exist and isn't suitable for laser show applications?
    Hi Gary,

You misunderstood me I guess. I was talking about the Microvision guys that produce a raster image (resonant scanner), not the Mirorcle guys. The Mirorcle guys are indeed vector. Yes, this exists but it is VERY expensive (at least for now), and also having a VERY small mirror.

Attached is the picture of the little laser sign project we worked on back in 2002. This was taken at the GlobalShop trade show in 2003 if memory serves...

Best regards,

William Benner

oh oh..
    When I see the picture from 2002.
    I suddenly want to try make my own little "flat-screen" back projector RGB TV

That is pretty easy actually..
    Just mount the scanner as a hidden table, some mirrors back and then up and then on the screen....
    and voila you got a big LASER TV

but veeery simple texture :P

Any laser and projector would be shattered at a NITRO top fuel dragster competition.(If youve ever been to one you'd know) The mirroracle people propose x-y axes with only 1 mirror, (lousy) and.. If we wait a little bit, Mitsu says their laser 50" TV will be out this month with a couple of watts per RGB..The 'module' may be avail in a couple of years.. but of course.. at the rate technology is progressing, all kids will have a RGB cell-phone projector at that rate, but wait... Uncle Sam and the CDRH may have something to say about that...

Quote Originally Posted by stanwax View Post
    What tickles me is the pic of the kids...
    are we to beleive with an RGB device you can create black!!!?...I think that has been posted a couple of months early.
    Hey Rob - LOL.. yeah, and to add to that, if you were ACTUALLY SEEING THAT MUCH 'atmopheric' laser-light coming from those devices, in SUN-induced room-light, with zero fog/dust - both that paper AND that kids' BACK would be on FIRE!!! It would take many, many, Watts (like 15+, my estimate) to produce that much VISIBLE atmospheric 'projection' in such a bright, 'clean' environment...

At least they could have done a better 'fake' by superimposing REAL video projections, so they weren't projecting BLACK, like you said... "Repost on 1st April." - LOL...

- J
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

If the current Mirrorcle devices do not feature it, there is certainly scope for optical or capacitative position detection and closed-loop feedback, in which case the scanner could be driven much faster. Obviously large mirrors are required for high power or large beams, but the tiny circular mirror has an big inertia advantage over conventional galvanometers for tiny projectors of complex vectors!

Kind regards,

sonaluma
    Last edited by sonaluma; 01-04-2008 at 21:17.

Quote Originally Posted by dsli_jon View Post
    both that paper AND that kids' BACK would be on FIRE!!!
    Jon
    Maybe they are marketing it wrong - they could be selling it as a home tatto or branding kit - ouch!

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

I once saw a XGA laser projector (1024x768) at ITEC in germany. It was produced by Rheinmetall. ITEC is an exhibition for all round simulation technology, so they used it for a flight simulator.

The cool thing about this thing was that they had an RGB and IR unit next to each other. With this, you could 'fly' at night while you could only see small simulated lights from houses and the airport. If you however put on the Gen3 NVG goggles, then you could see a clear NVG image. Later on, they also showed the daylight picture of the same scene, and the brightness and sharpness was incredible. Much better then any other XGA lcd/dlp/lcos out there.

Of course, the disadvantages are the price (+30k$) and the size of the projector. Something like a 1x1x1 meter box if i remember correctly.