Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: mini laser projector

Default mini laser projector

http://www.microvision.com/pico_proj...owitworks.html

http://www.microvision.com/technology/mems.html
    I wonder if you can buy that MEMS scanner thing. I didnt do my homework, but I bet that thing kicks the ass of any galvo out there.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    UPDATE:

Fraunhofer is also busy with this:
    http://www.gizmag.com/go/7358/
    http://www.ipms.fraunhofer.de/en/pro...oscanner.shtml
    http://www.ipms.fraunhofer.de/en/pro...onsmodul-e.pdf
    Last edited by highvolt; 01-07-2008 at 13:44.

It won't be long before we say hello to the $50 laser scanner. Now we just need that open standard show format I was talking about.

This article makes want to ..... open Photoshop and design some photonic-fusion-ray-guns that can kill from 10000miles and be as big as tip of the pencil..
    I hired an Italian guy to do my wires. Now they look like spaghetti!

I wonder if you can buy that MEMS scanner thing.
    You certainly can!
    http://www.mirrorcletech.com/devkit.html

sonaluma

Quote Originally Posted by carmangary View Post
    It won't be long before we say hello to the $50 laser scanner. Now we just need that open standard show format I was talking about.
    The scanner that you see in the web page is a resonant-type scanner. Completely useless for what we know as laser show scanners. Also, the pictures you see are merely illustrations of something that might exist, one day, if this and that and the other thing happens. I couldn't put it any better than Dr. Laser did, when he wrote:

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Laser View Post
    This article makes want to ..... open Photoshop and design some photonic-fusion-ray-guns that can kill from 10000miles and be as big as tip of the pencil..
    Yes, anyone can design anything that looks convincing with Photoshop! We have seen such illustrations and ideas for years. These kind of illustrations ignore a lot of things, such as power required to operate the lasers and the scanners, and the brightness required, and lastly, that when you hand-hold a scanning system, it disturbs the projected imagery...

I am at home now, but when I get to the office I will upload a picture of something a whole lot more impressive, and a whole lot more relevant to laser shows -- a projector technology that we showed at LDI 2004. It is a completely self-contained, rear-projection unit. Only 4 inches deep, and yet the screen is 18-inches wide. It has built-in laser with my "moving mirror optical scanner" invention (US Patent 7,092,135, international patents pending) and a single DSP that handled the laser diode and dual-axis servo, as well as all projector control functions (i.e. interpreting the images in flash memory and forwarding them to the servo). The scanning system itself has no bearings, and was made for only $25. The entire projector consumed only 4 watts of electrical power, and could be made in moderate quantities for only $250 and sold to the general public, including software for $495. (US and International patents pending on the projection system and several control aspects.)

And the picture that I upload won't be a Photoshop special... This was developed in 2002, and it could be said that we are now distributing some of the technology in the form of our Flashback 3. Certainly the LiveQUICK software was what we developed for inclusion with that product.

We showed it on our tradeshow booth at LDI 2004 to see if we could drum up interest in it, after trying quite hard to push on markets with big names like Intel, Logitech, Quiznos, and others. I can't reveal all of the details, but suffice it to say that there were big name investors in this thing. And.... nothing.

We pushed pretty hard on "consumer markets" over the years, and in bringing laser shows to a broader market, but, in the words of Californians, there isn't a there there.

Best regards,

William Benner
    Last edited by Pangolin; 01-03-2008 at 21:24.

Hey highvolt -

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    Yes, anyone can design anything that looks convincing with Photoshop!
    ...Yeah, like for example, this dragster doesn't REEALLY have a 40W KTP in the nose, and it doesn't REEALLY have a mini-WL projector in the tail, and it wasn't REEALLY projecting Pangolins' logo on this hotties' thigh (in fact, she wasn't even AT this race!)

- So, yeah ya gotta be careful of them photo-'strations out there...

And hey, Bill - would love to see and hear more about your mini-projector - we MAY have use for a few / possible public outlet for this type of product, coming to Long Beach, CA in 2008... CAN'T SAY ANY MORE HERE, but it involves a very-highly industry-respected 'Brand'... could make for a good co-branded leveraging-strategy... PM-me, if ya wanna chat...

ciao
    - J
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Thumbs up

That is cool (on the paper) ...
    But I think it will be cooler when my childs child can use it someday in the future.

Sure it`s just photoshop illustrations, but hey it`s a start .. right?
    Someone is working on it, and that is better than just say "it`s not gonna work forget about it" !!!

I know for SURE that someday the technology will be so small that the machine to make it is smaller than a mobile phone

And I really think that to se TV from the phone on a 40" big screen will come true..
    But I think that the LED projector on the phone will come very soon (not laser) ...

BIll: What you talk about sound VERY cool.....
    And it makes me wonder, is it "ever" possible to se your work from the inside someday (puppyface) .....
    I have been to many pangolin lasershow at the plantarium in boston, NY... but I get bored to just see laser images..

What I like to se is the real stuff from the inside

(I starting to plan my 08 Vacation now... still wonder where to go .. haha)

Waiting to se some pics

Cheers...

In the link to the development kit it shows the device scanning the familiar Canadian Goose frame on a wall. It isn't photoshopped. So, why are you saying it doesn't exist and isn't suitable for laser show applications?

the canadion goose did I have on my 8k galvoes some years ago :P
    And if that is the speed of this "new" stuff.... well... hmm...

But the TV-from-mobile-picture is NOT real !!!

http://www.mirrorcletech.com/images/...ge/vector5.jpg

Gary.... that vector scan is pretty poor ..... well crap actually

im guessing as bill said it is a resonant scanner there is no position feedback

hence the poor image

a lot of these companies put this stuff on the net to try and get investment and funding and usually are only halfway there with the technology.

all the best .... Karl