Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: RGB DPSS Lasers - Which are the manufacturers with better qualities and costs?

Quote Originally Posted by Buffo View Post
    Yes. The software can only support what the DAC supports. So if the DAC is TTL, the software is too. Likewise, if the DAC supports analog blanking, the software will also support it.

Adam
    Which software with DAC analog blanking you recommend that it is of easy use with several resources?

Jose Carlos

Cool

In my opinion, Pangolin's LD-2000 system is the best that money can buy. The intro package (which costs $1,500) comes with the QM-2000 PCI card plus the software. You get nearly 100 pre-made shows with the package that are all syncronized to music. You also get 3 CD's full of frames and animations that you can use to create your own shows. The software package has a *great* frame file editor, a picture trace engine, a font-to-laser conversion tool, an abstract generator, a live player, and a show editor (showtime) that is very easy to use. You get Pangolin's "Asteriods" game, which allows you to play the vector-graphic-based game Asteroids on the laser projector in real time. You also get a plug-in for Winamp (a popular MP3 player) that will control your laser projector in real time to the beat of the music. (This is really cool, and has to be seen to be believed.)

It's also pretty much the industry standard. Pangolin is the largest player in the laser show controller market, and their products are very reliable.

You can upgrade the LD-2000 package to add things like extra oscillators for the abstract generator, support for more simultenous tracks in the show editor (I think the intro package only allows 8 simultaneous tracks), and other add-ons. They also have a plug-in that allows you to create laser shows from 3D studio max objects, and a separate plug in that will create laser shows from flash animations. Finally, they have a *super* live player (called Live Pro) that you can purchase separately if you want to get into advanced live effects.

However, if the LD-2000 system is beyond your budget, then consider the Pangolin Flashback 3 system. It comes with it's own software suite, and while it doesn't have all the shows that the LD-2000 system does, it has a number of very powerful software tools for frame, abstract, and show creation. It costs just $595 and comes with the entire LA Studio laser software suite plus the FB3 controller. It uses a USB link to the computer.

Both of these controllers support analog color moudulation.

However, if you can afford it, go for the LD-2000 package. (That's what I have, and I absolutely love it!) It's the top of the line, and will serve you well for years to come.

Adam

So can this PCI card control any galvos, or are there specific projector setups for this?

In my opinion, Pangolin's LD-2000 system is the best that money can buy. The intro package (which costs $1,500) comes with the QM-2000 PCI card plus the software. You get nearly 100 pre-made shows with the package that are all syncronized to music. You also get 3 CD's full of frames and animations that you can use to create your own shows. The software package has a *great* frame file editor, a picture trace engine, a font-to-laser conversion tool, an abstract generator, a live player, and a show editor (showtime) that is very easy to use. You get Pangolin's "Asteriods" game, which allows you to play the vector-graphic-based game Asteroids on the laser projector in real time. You also get a plug-in for Winamp (a popular MP3 player) that will control your laser projector in real time to the beat of the music. (This is really cool, and has to be seen to be believed.)

It's also pretty much the industry standard. Pangolin is the largest player in the laser show controller market, and their products are very reliable.

You can upgrade the LD-2000 package to add things like extra oscillators for the abstract generator, support for more simultenous tracks in the show editor (I think the intro package only allows 8 simultaneous tracks), and other add-ons. They also have a plug-in that allows you to create laser shows from 3D studio max objects, and a separate plug in that will create laser shows from flash animations. Finally, they have a *super* live player (called Live Pro) that you can purchase separately if you want to get into advanced live effects.

However, if the LD-2000 system is beyond your budget, then consider the Pangolin Flashback 3 system. It comes with it's own software suite, and while it doesn't have all the shows that the LD-2000 system does, it has a number of very powerful software tools for frame, abstract, and show creation. It costs just $595 and comes with the entire LA Studio laser software suite plus the FB3 controller. It uses a USB link to the computer.

Both of these controllers support analog color moudulation.

However, if you can afford it, go for the LD-2000 package. (That's what I have, and I absolutely love it!) It's the top of the line, and will serve you well for years to come.

Adam
    The board of Pangolin LD 2000 is PCI and therefore it is necessary Docking Station, Magma PCI Expansion or QM2000.NET, to install on a notebook, that I think inconvenient and very expensive for many Laserist and most of the notebooks doesn't have docking station, therefore the best option is Flashback 3 controller that uses USB link, however their features are very limited when compared with other softwares for Laser Light Shows.

Jose Carlos

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Lasershow View Post
    The board of Pangolin LD 2000 is PCI and therefore it is necessary Docking Station, Magma PCI Expansion or QM2000.NET, to install on a notebook, that I think inconvenient and very expensive for many Laserist
    Believe me, once you see what the QM-2000 board is capable of, you won't mind setting up a desktop computer, or buying a docking station for your laptop, or buying the QM2000.net adapter. It really is worth it.

Besides, a desktop computer takes maybe 3 minutes to set up. You have a flat panel monitor, the CPU case, a keyboard, and a mouse. Seriously, how difficult is it to hook that up? If you go that route you will actually save money vs. buying a laptop.

Before you say that the LD-2000 system is inconvenient, you *really* owe it to yourself to play with one first, and see just how awesome it really is. (Trust me; I used to think it was overpriced too! But now I know better.)

Adam

Believe me, once you see what the QM-2000 board is capable of, you won't mind setting up a desktop computer, or buying a docking station for your laptop, or buying the QM2000.net adapter. It really is worth it.

Besides, a desktop computer takes maybe 3 minutes to set up. You have a flat panel monitor, the CPU case, a keyboard, and a mouse. Seriously, how difficult is it to hook that up? If you go that route you will actually save money vs. buying a laptop.

Before you say that the LD-2000 system is inconvenient, you *really* owe it to yourself to play with one first, and see just how awesome it really is. (Trust me; I used to think it was overpriced too! But now I know better.)

Are there Demo Versions of LD-2000 and FB3 of Pangolin, for me to see the functions and features of the softwares?

Jose Carlos

Cool

There are several videos on the Pangolin website that show an operator using the software, and also shows the laser output in real time as he's working on different parts of a show. It's actually part of the tutorial DVD that comes with the system, but if you watch some of the clips you'll get some idea as to what the software is capable of. Go to the Pangolin website and search for "tutorial".

Nanowatt: nearly all laser controllers output standard ILDA signals on a DB-25 connector. You connect your projector to this output. Thus, it doesn't matter what components you use in your projector (Cambridge scanners, General Scanning units, or even any of the numerous Chinese scanners that have become so popular recently). Same thing goes for the lasers (DPSS, direct injection, Ion, or something even more exotic), it doesn't matter what you use. Even the blanking method is irrelevant. You can use a PCAOM, or electronic modulation of the laser driver, or even a scanner, mirror, and retro-reflector setup. The ILDA standard was designed so that I could use my controller to control anyone's projector, and likewise I could run my projector off anyone's controller.

To answer your specific question, yes - the Pangolin QM-2000 board (which is a PCI card) has the standard ILDA output on a DB-25 port. (just like the Flashback 3, or the Easylase, or the Riya DAC, or the Alphalite, or - eh, you get the point...)

Adam

There are several videos on the Pangolin website that show an operator using the software, and also shows the laser output in real time as he's working on different parts of a show. It's actually part of the tutorial DVD that comes with the system, but if you watch some of the clips you'll get some idea as to what the software is capable of. Go to the Pangolin website and search for "tutorial".
    There are only videos and Why, aren't there demo versions of the Pangolin softwares for the future candidate user, to verify and to manipulate the functions?

Jose Carlos
    Last edited by Lasershow; 01-20-2008 at 10:17.

Cool

Because the software is designed to control the hardware on the QM-2000 board. Releasing the software would be pointless without the hardware. (Remember that the QM-2000 board is actually it's own computer, complete with it's own OS, on a single board.) A crippled "demo" version of the Pangolin software would still need the hardware, and there's no way they're going give out free QM-2000 boards just for "evaluation" purposes.

The videos give you enough clues about the software that you should be able to make comparisons to other laser show packages out there. That, plus the advice of the forum members here should help you make up your mind.

But if that isn't enough, you can always try to attend a laser enthusiast meeting where you'll get a chance to see several different packages in use. (I realize you are in Brazil, so this may be difficult.)

Adam

The videos give you enough clues about the software that you should be able to make comparisons to other laser show packages out there. That, plus the advice of the forum members here should help you make up your mind.
    Which are the website links to watch the explanatory videos of the software Pangolin?

Jose Carlos