Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Dissapearing 16x/ List Needed

Default The Dissapearing 16x/ List Needed

Hi Guy’s I thought I would write this up for all the people who like taking brand new or second hand dvd burners apart to get at those lovely high power laser diodes,
    But the main reason is because of this. A few day back I thought I would treat myself to a couple of dvd burners from dabs.com I have used them for years for computer parts but the last several months I have been using them more and more as a good source of cheap dvd burners (ever since I founf PL) but like all marvels of technology things move on and in most things that’s a good thing, but the way things are going on the dvd burner front we are going to be in trouble and this is why. Nearly all manufactures are now shipping 20x burners as standard as opposed to 16 x, now as far as I can work out the majority of manufactures used a standard type diode can 5.6 mm on the 16x drives and every now and then you would get an open ended can but a 5.6 mm open can at least, but after purchasing two of the Samsung 20x burners from dabs.com (dabs quick linx 4qk5)I was very surprised indeed when I got to the part where I expected to see some sort of resemblance to a typical diode package but this was not the case.
    It was the most hideous bulk of metal/epoxy resin/and solder I have ever seen it took me back a few years ago when I used to purchase the cheap and nasty red laser diode pens the quality and the finish was low but they used to work same thing here and lets face it the manufactures don’t build these things with us in mind but damn it was nasty, obviously done for a reason mainly heat dissipation I would say but it stopped me in my tracks, where I thought I was going to take half an hour taking two burners apart for the diodes to make a 350mw/400mw off 660nm I had to think again it took me one and a half hours to get just one to that stage let alone spending hours of cutting trying to get to the chip itself so I could wire it up, so I left it like that I took the other one down my friends and swapped him the 20x Samsung for a 20x light scribe dvd burner of which he is not 100% sure if it is a liteon or a lg eletronics he did not want it any more so straight swap we were both happy with, anyway this also was a major pain to get to the diode part but at least it was a 5.6mm package open ended but as long as your careful this should not affect anything.
    I think we will see a lot more of the Samsung type laser chip holder coming out soon which makes it very difficult( but not impossible )to build high power home brew systems for even if you do sort the diode chip out from the metal/epoxy resin and solder you still have to try and mount it in some sort of housing for the optics/ wires etc which takes a lot more thought time money and patience.
    I think it would be a good idea to write up a list for the dvd burners that are considered to be ok to get the diodes out without to much hassle and are of the friendly variety ie,5.6 mm can open or closed so at least we would have a quick reference to the facts here on PL in another 3 to 6 months you probably wont be able to purchase a 16x burner but a 22x maybe a 24x sometime this year probably but with that extra power I think will come extra problems so I am going to start the list off with these two it’s a shame I don’t have the 100% information on the light scribe but the Samsung is correct. Please feel free to post any details you guys have and after a few days I will add it all up and see what sort of list we get thanks, for your help on this one that is if you want to take part.
    Samsung 20x dvd writer oem manufacture code sh-s203b/bebn no 5.6mm can
    Liteon or lg electronics 20x light scribe --------------------------------5.6 mm can/ open
    I think the pics speak for them selves please expand for better view
    All the best Paul

it was a new challange for me taking close up shots like that lucky enough i have some good macro lences

Paul

I have traditionally used lite on drives their 16 18 and 20 speed drives all are OK and use 5.6 cans the only difference is that the x20 has the open diode (model number DH-20A3P).
    I have recently used optiarc drives - which is the new name for Sony - model number AD-7170s. This appears to me to have the same optical transport as the liteon x20 and I have used the open frame diode from these too.
    I have also extracted diodes from Pioneer drives though the latest was a x16 (i think) model number DVR-111D this is a closed can 5.6 diode
    Robin Bowden mentioned that he had seen these ugly diodes at the UK meet in August - I think he may have been refering to the Samsung - perhaps he can clarify...

hope this helps

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

Over on candle power forums there is a thread called "DVD burners that rock for diodes" or something like that. You can check there for a good list of them.

thanks guys great start, any info is greatly appreciated.

Have a look at the cavity length of this beat-up diode from a Pioneer DVR-112D verses that Lite-On. So far this is the most powerful dvd burner diode I have heard of or seen.

(not my pic, it's from LPF.)

Also, see this thread:
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=166188
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DVR-112D_GSA-H50N.jpg  

lol nice one it looks like someone has been welding with it,it does appear to have a long chip i would guess around 2 mm if thats a 5.6 can. just a thought and i know someone knows the answer out there( please let me know) what is stopping them from making them 3mm long or 5 mm is it the manufacturing process that stops the physical length or is there just know need for that kind of power output or is it that aftera certain length it becomes way to exspencive it would be nice to find out mean while keep that info coming

yeah I have some close up pix of that diode here....
    http://photonlexicon.com/gallery/v/s...macro.jpg.html

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner

Thats a cracking close up shot of that diode Rob,and here is something else thats going to be cracking in 4 weeks check this out
    http://www.dabs.com/ProductView.aspx...3226&InMerch=1
    it should give you around 85-100mw of 405nm and for under £200, im hoping that the diode is going to be in a 5.6 can

fookin hell!
    The only thing is I bloody hate blu ray - they are so so horrible - if you look at them just a bit funny they die. But if the prices are begging to drop for hiher power thats well cool.

Rob

i felt left out, so thought i would have a go, although not as good as other pics

Eat Sleep Lase Repeat