Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Where you in 1978? Have a good laugh at Laserman532! Where were you?

Hmm.. where was I in 1978? I was being born)
    I hired an Italian guy to do my wires. Now they look like spaghetti!

Hey Pat -

WOW - great pix man!! Love the woodgrain!! (just surprised your 'control box' wasn't 'avocado green'!)

Here's me 'n the Fam' in '78, (I'm the 'shrimp' on the left) in the foothills of Ventura, CA, doing my best 'Randolph Mantooth' (Emergency!) impersonation! - Also, my 'Lab' / supernerd-bedroom - too bad my Mom hadn't taken shots of the other wall, complete with (of course) 'Star Wars' poster and 'Vans' "10 x 30" skateboard ...(almost bigger than me!
    (sorry - no cool laser pix like you had!

Pat, if I had known you back then, and SEEN this thing, I would have immediately volunteered to be your personal SLAVE / little-brother - I would have worshiped you as a GOD!

Great pix, Cap'n!

- J
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC07824.JPG  

Jons_Lab_78.jpg  

....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

where's your computer...? oh.... right....
    Honestly I was thinking, for a bedroom it seems to be missing something, and before I thought "Bed," "Computer" is what came to my head.

I'll have to take some pictures - after I clean up - of my work area.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by mliptack View Post
    I'll have to take some pictures - after I clean up - of my work area.
    hey Max - LOL... you KNOW this was my 'lab' / bedroom from 1978, riiight??? In 1978, if I had had a computer, it would have BEEN the bedroom!! so, to be fair, you can only post a pic of your 'shop' from '78...
    Last edited by dsli_jon; 01-04-2008 at 21:07.

Quote Originally Posted by dsli_jon View Post
    Hey Pat -

WOW - great pix man!! Love the woodgrain!! (just surprised your 'control box' wasn't 'avocado green'!)

Here's me 'n the Fam' in '78, (I'm the 'shrimp' on the left) in the foothills of Ventura, CA, doing my best 'Randolph Mantooth' (Emergency!) impersonation! - Also, my 'Lab' / supernerd-bedroom - too bad my Mom hadn't taken shots of the other wall, complete with (of course) 'Star Wars' poster and 'Vans' "10 x 30" skateboard ...(almost bigger than me!
    (sorry - no cool laser pix like you had!

Pat, if I had known you back then, and SEEN this thing, I would have immediately volunteered to be your personal SLAVE / little-brother - I would have worshiped you as a GOD!

Great pix, Cap'n!

- J
    LOL FUNNY- Dude those were some crazy cord bells ya had on and you were sportin the guns as well! COOL I also found the pics of my garage back then it was full of JUNK...LASER JUNK oh yeah! Laser God, no...but very popular at parties!

I Never saw the 66 issue of National Geographic but if you ever come across the March 1984 issue with the eagle hologram on the front cover...I'm the guy on page 232 or 242 i forget!!!! 171 argon doing 20 watts and a 171 white light krypton doing about 12 watts hitting a grating in front of me. i love that i can say..."I used to be somebody"

Blows me away that laser ben is only 16, some of my underwear is that old (just kidding there ben, i wish I knew what you know at 16 I would have ruled the FRIGGIN WORLD!!!!! MUAHAAAAAAAAAAA)

Quote Originally Posted by Laserman532 View Post
    I Never saw the 66 issue of National Geographic but if you ever come across the March 1984 issue with the eagle hologram on the front cover...I'm the guy on page 232 or 242 i forget!!!! 171 argon doing 20 watts and a 171 white light krypton doing about 12 watts hitting a grating in front of me. i love that i can say..."I used to be somebody"
    WOAH... that is one of the first magazines that really enticed my appetite for lasers! I can remember staring at the holographic eagle forever and "reading the articles" hahaha!!!

Well I said I should post some pictures of my 'laser room' well here is part of it

Cheers! (No pun intended)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC05273.JPG  

Damn, I feel young again In '78 I just got out of the airforce and was pursuing my career as a rock musician..well .. that dint work out too well.. ahhh, well.. got my 1st hene in '89.. late bloomer I guesss...
    Still, Rock is #1 and lasers are #2 // oops wify is #1 ... .. blasphemy,,, ohh..

Default You're Still Famous!

Hey Pat,

You're on page 334 of the March '84 issue...I swear this is the same photo used in a "Science Careers" poster still up in the cafeteria (to the best of my knowledge) at the elementary school that both of my kids attended - probably one of hundreds scattered across schools in the U.S.!

Must have been fun...

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Laserman532 View Post
    LOL FUNNY- Dude those were some crazy cord bells ya had on and you were sportin the guns as well! COOL I also found the pics of my garage back then it was full of JUNK...LASER JUNK oh yeah! Laser God, no...but very popular at parties!

Blows me away that laser ben is only 16, some of my underwear is that old (just kidding there ben, i wish I knew what you know at 16 I would have ruled the FRIGGIN WORLD!!!!! MUAHAAAAAAAAAAA)

Quote Originally Posted by Displaser View Post
    Hey Pat,

You're on page 334 of the March '84 issue...I swear this is the same photo used in a "Science Careers" poster still up in the cafeteria (to the best of my knowledge) at the elementary school that both of my kids attended - probably one of hundreds scattered across schools in the U.S.!

Must have been fun...

Greg
    I forget which page it was, i have a framed copy from chuck o'rear the photographer. For signing the release I got a ONE TIME reprint option. I have seen the photograph around the world even at the worlds fair (I didnt see it personally someone mailed me a photo of it) they had blown it up to about 20 feet high. It is probably the most reprinted "laser photo" ever. They still use it I know.

I was the Unknown tech. Nat. Geo refused to print my name (my mom knows its me and thats all that matters) because they would have had to give me royalties each time they used it FOR LIFE! So the deal was, they get the photo, I get one time printing rights (i used for a brochure for my company in 1986) and I get the pleasure of saying "it's me". That photo would have been in the trash if I would have held out for cash or name...

The photo was taken at SP in my lab. Hint-The beams came out so good by taking a cans of compressed air and turning it upside down. Upside down air dissipates quickly so it didnt fog the image of me. My only claim to fame.

Pat - you mean THIS one???!!!!

DUDE, CAN I HAVE YOUR AUTOGRAPH???????!!!!!!!

I mean, I only have 2 of these issues, so if I could juuust get you to sign here, pleeeeze! (can't see me but I am bowing down in front of my screen right now...)

- J
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pat B is Apollo.JPG