Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Where you in 1978? Have a good laugh at Laserman532! Where were you?

Quote Originally Posted by Laserman532 View Post
    I forget which page it was, i have a framed copy from chuck o'rear the photographer. For signing the release I got a ONE TIME reprint option. I have seen the photograph around the world even at the worlds fair (I didnt see it personally someone mailed me a photo of it) they had blown it up to about 20 feet high. It is probably the most reprinted "laser photo" ever. They still use it I know.

I was the Unknown tech. Nat. Geo refused to print my name (my mom knows its me and thats all that matters) because they would have had to give me royalties each time they used it FOR LIFE! So the deal was, they get the photo, I get one time printing rights (i used for a brochure for my company in 1986) and I get the pleasure of saying "it's me". That photo would have been in the trash if I would have held out for cash or name...

The photo was taken at SP in my lab. Hint-The beams came out so good by taking a cans of compressed air and turning it upside down. Upside down air dissipates quickly so it didnt fog the image of me. My only claim to fame.
    For those who dont know what we are talking about here it is.

http://www.wineviews.com/portfolio/p...1007-full.html

I honestly did not realize that he is a WORLD RECOGNIZED photographer.
    Please keep in mind i met him 22 years ago. He photographed the photo "blis" which is on every copy of Windows xp.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bliss_%28image%29

Holy shit, i never knew i was so close to greatness. I am truly honored and humbled.

Quote Originally Posted by dsli_jon View Post
    Pat - you mean THIS one???!!!!

DUDE, CAN I HAVE YOUR AUTOGRAPH???????!!!!!!!

I mean, I only have 2 of these issues, so if I could juuust get you to sign here, pleeeeze! (can't see me but I am bowing down in front of my screen right now...)

- J
    Thanks jon, you are so funny. And yes you can have my autograph as long as it is an endorsement on the back of a BIG FAT CHECK!!! Bless you my son.

Thanks jon, you are so funny. And yes you can have my autograph as long as it is an endorsement on the back of a BIG FAT CHECK!!! Bless you my son.
    ...So does this mean that if I buy the 'Cobra', that...
    ..TOGETHER, WE CAN RULE THE GALAXY AS FATHER AND SON... ???

- J
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Quote Originally Posted by dsli_jon View Post
    ...So does this mean that if I buy the 'Cobra', that...
    ..TOGETHER, WE CAN RULE THE GALAXY AS FATHER AND SON... ???

- J
    Sure...that would be fun. I think I have at least ONE more galaxy left in me. From what i have read on this forum since I've joined, there is a WEALTH of greatness in people here. I would love to start a think tank with folks here...untapped raw talent.

Wow, 1978, 1975, 1970, long long ago.
    I don't know China had laser or not, but I know at that time China hadn't company to do lasers. but now,we had many laser company.
    yes, I had found China first laser, ruby lasers, which is born in 1961, just like a monster..
    Best regards!
    Bridge

Cool

if you ever come across the March 1984 issue with the eagle hologram on the front cover...I'm the guy on page 232 or 242 i forget!!!! 171 argon doing 20 watts and a 171 white light krypton doing about 12 watts hitting a grating in front of me.
    OMFG!!!

I remember that issue, and the picture in question! I was a senior in High School at the time, and when that issue came out I snatched it away from the coffee table and kept it. Saddly, a few months later I joined the Navy and my Dad threw out all the old magazines in my room, including that one.

Still, it was one hell of a cool picture! (Still is, really.)

Adam

That is an awesome pic Pat and a well cool claim to fame. Im glad to see that by that time, the perm had given way somewhat - though the silhouette shape of your head reminds me of Mike Nesmith....hmmm
    Unfortunately I was not aware of Nat Geo at that time and unaware of whether or not WH Smiths stocked it - but would have had it if id had a sniff of it. Best I got was reading about lasers and holography in the very first issues of Hobby Electronics from early 78 - still have them to this day but no hologram on the cover

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

That's too much- I ogled that hologram issue too!
    I was on my way to my first KISS concert in '78 at a whoppin 8 years old.
    Dirt bikes, taking things apart, fighting my older brother, etc...
    Here is what else I was reading in that time frame...

How about an ANALOG forum???
    Cool stuff man!
    -Mike

I have a 'mint' copy of that issue of NG. The whole article is (or was) absolutely awsome. I was going to scan the picture for everyone's benefit but have already been beaten to it.

How cool is it that one of my favourite photographs of lasers is someone on this group !!!!

Cheers, you've made my day

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Wow Pat, I know I knew you from somewhere., absolutely way to go man.

Yep., I had that issue as well. I used to keep everything related to lasers from very early on in my childhood. I do remember your picture well. It was the one all my friends used to druel on. we swore we were going to build something close at least something that would dazzle or friends.

I wasnt doing anything with lasers in '78 , the year before I was just a bum, getting dirty and building big-blocks and sliding them into small cars. I had let everything else go to the side too ( I was learning what girls were good for and other things not really meant for public ears).
    In 1970 while in Jr High school I took a HeNe tube expensive then cost me a two summers worth of odd jobs and built my own supply for it..used it to make holograms for a science fair project in which I won second place in state. I was beat by a student who built a portable Mass-Spectrometer for determining types of stars. Anyhow, That helped me get into college for Physics and Electronics. later all I did with it was bounce it off mirrors in front of speakers using oscillators. nothing much became of it tho just sat in front of it with my friends at party time. I almost built the DIY ruby laser, I still have the DIY article for a ruby laser here somewhere., but my interests wandered...ah anyway.
    Too bad all my mags got tossed too... a real shame. it was a long time ago.

Way to go Mang
    "My signature has been taken, so Insert another here"
    http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/sam/laserfaq.htm
    *^_^* aka PhiloUHF