Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Where you in 1978? Have a good laugh at Laserman532! Where were you?

Default I wasnt trying to seek fame amongst peers...

I just posted the pics because three motor effect has been around forever (steve jander showed it to me in 1976 using a tunable dye laser pumping it. I saw GOLD light) It is an oldie but a goodie and anyone can build it even if you only have a pointer.

Jon- You are hopelessly obsessed...just like me.
    Stev-o- It is rare to meet someone older than me
    Greg- I was born and raised in Houston- graduated Spring Branch HS in 1975.

I need to correct, I met Chuck O'rear 25 years ago- he is amazing!

Bridge- In 10 years all lasers will be "manufactured" in china, not sure how I feel about that since the laser was invented here (in the US) We are at the mercy of the youth in America to be OBSESSIVE over technology and I dont see that happening anymore.

Adam-Keep the light burning dude

Rob- MIKE NESMITH!!!! You got it. I LOVED THE MONKEES! Dude it was the 80's and SP was real relaxed (keg parties almost every friday)

Mike- Did you have your face painted? I think Gene Simmons is a master of marketing for keeping all of those tapes and recently releasing them. GENIUS.

Jem- Thanks Guy

Marconi- WOW you had a laser in 1970 I think you win (so far) I got more wobble out of my speaker effect by gluing a ball point pen spring to the middle of the speaker coil.

It is tough to make a lot of money in lasers, but you have to do it for the love of the light. Funny thing...i've made a million and I have lost a million...but whatever...you cant take it with you!

Work with lasers long enough and you will become a BIRD BRAIN!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bird Brain.jpg  

Hmmm very interesting

I just posted the pics because three motor effect has been around forever (steve jander showed it to me in 1976 using a tunable dye laser pumping it. I saw GOLD light) It is an oldie but a goodie and anyone can build it even if you only have a pointer.
    Hmmm that is something that is of interest to me... care to elaborate?

Also Chuck, the homemade ruby laser you mention, that is something that is also interesting to me. Since I just purchased a Ruby rod not too long ago. I still have to get my SSY-1 up and running. The PFN from MI is what is stopping me currently.

Quote Originally Posted by mliptack View Post
    Hmmm very interesting

Hmmm that is something that is of interest to me... care to elaborate?

Also Chuck, the homemade ruby laser you mention, that is something that is also interesting to me. Since I just purchased a Ruby rod not too long ago. I still have to get my SSY-1 up and running. The PFN from MI is what is stopping me currently.
    Gold light-we had a 5 watt argon laser pumping a SP 375 R6G dye laser with a single plate birefrengent filter that could be rotated with motor the dye laser output went in to a 3 motor effect and through the magic of random beat frequencies i saw sections of gold light...thats all, probably just a random chance of yellow and red mixing somehow it certainly wasnt planed or even reproduce able.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Buffo View Post
    OMFG!!!
    I remember that issue, and the picture in question!...Saddly...my Dad threw out all the old magazines in my room, including that one.
    Hey Adam -

I've got 2 - http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...1&d=1199508062
    - wanna trade somethin'?? - what??...oh, I dunno...like mayybee ONE OF THOSE COOL LINE GRATINGS YA'GOT FROM MI????

BTW - 'trading' was ALSO very '1978', wasn't it??

...I only wish I still HAD any the cool stuff I got in 'trade-deals' as a kid- ie: a little brass 'bomblet' (in-ordinate, of course!) from a real 'cluster bomb'; a REAL gold-plated-brass FD-dept BADGE, from LAFD!! - it was HEAVY!!!; a supercool "Daisy" 'German Luger' BB-gun (looked EXACTLY like the gun in the '007' logo!); etc... *sigh* anybody got a time-machine hacked-together yet?? peace....

- J
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Cool

It's tempting, but I've only got 1 left... (sorry)

Adam

In '78 I was found at the local flying field, 8A7- Twin Lakes, washing and cleaning aircraft to help pay for flying lessons and any airtime I could get. Other than the "chase of the ladies" and school ....that was it. And that was enough for me at the time !
    You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich

Ok I was trying to find a school photo circa 78 but the best I have at the mo is this equally cringe worthy one from about 1990 - its me (on the left for those who dont know) with my good friend Wacko (aka wakey, wakit, wooko, paul, shakey etc etc). We look like a very happy gay couple - the only gays at the party and both as straight as they come - maybe I should have worded that better

Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails robnwak.jpg  

If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

Default Wow Look What I Just Won On Ebay!!!!

hahahahahahahaha! Nice Laserman!!!!

I have to go talk to my mother and see if she still has that issue in her archives of NG... She's an artist so she collects them for referencing... maybe she'll draw an artists rendition of you... hahaa

In 1978 I was just leaving school and starting my apprenticeship as an Electronic Engineer with British Nuclear Fuels at Risley in Warrington.
    The nearest thing to a PC that I worked with then was a Commodore PET with an HEX keypad and a few & segment LED displays.
    I didn't have a laser for the disco at that time but I was MEGA HIGH TECH, I had a Philips video projector seen in this pic from 1980.
    I am the one behind the decks.
    http://img530.imageshack.us/my.php?i...sco1980ev2.jpg

Jim