Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Where you in 1978? Have a good laugh at Laserman532! Where were you?

Default Where you in 1978? Have a good laugh at Laserman532! Where were you?

I was applications engineer at Spectra-Physics at 22 years old. Thats me on the left. (Afros were big back then). I had been working with lasers since 1975 and had a degree in lasers and electo optics at this point. I was honored to be working on scientific laser systems (pico second & ring dye) that would not become public for another 5 years. I played with laser light shows in my spare time. I still love the light.

This was my first laser light show projector 3/4" 2'x3' plywood box with a solid 1" allum. plate for mechanics. (all hand made & drilled) Zoom in and note the aperature flaps with warning labels! This thing weighed a TON!
    Two 50 mw air cooled argon lasers, 3-10 mw hene lasers, two full color three motor effects, ledex rotary solenoids to switch beam positions and to 4 different "bumpy glass" effects wheels mounted on clock motors. All manual control with switches and knobs.

There were galvos, but I couldnt afford them, no digital cameras, no diode lasers, (not even red pointers) limited internet & PC's were very expensive if you could get one. A AO modulator was just being developed.

DAMN I FEEL OLD...Thank you for letting me share! I think what you guys are doing now is absolutely amazing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First Laser Projector.jpg  

That's pretty cool. That's the kind of shows I remember seeing at the state fair in NC when I was a kid.

Man that wooden box is awesome - Andycon & laser lips take heart
    As for the hair - well I cant talk

Rob

PS in 78 I was 12
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

I'll let Laser Ben come in here to tell everyone how old he was in 78... then I wont feel as bad

I wasn't even born! I'm only 16 now!
    CLICKY!!!

Admin: In the immortal words of Captain Planet: YOU HAVE THE POWER
    Admin: (To quit being a bitch)

I think thats the point Max was trying to make.

BTW Pat I love the images

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

Haha yeah... I wasn't born either...

I wasn't even swimming...

And I completely agree with Rob, those pictures are awesome!
    Last edited by mliptack; 01-04-2008 at 14:43. Reason: Forgot something

Quote Originally Posted by stanwax View Post
    Man that wooden box is awesome - Andycon & laser lips take heart
    As for the hair - well I cant talk

Rob

PS in 78 I was 12
    cheeky sod im going metal you know
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

I had to chuckle because i read a thread somewhere here in pl where someone was talking about motors with off axis mirrors mounted to them. Thats what prompted me to dig up these pictures. Even after 30 years that random generated spirograph patterns are still popular...something very...analog and time less about it. My actual first projector that I built in 1975 i have no pictures of are a 5mw hene hitting a mirror mounted to a speaker coil...everyone starts there even after 35 years.

You say that now... wait until Galvos come in happy meals...