Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ILDA Test Pattern

Quote Originally Posted by gottaluvlasers View Post
    i just need to figure out what pots correspond to what i need to adjust on my amps.
    Yeah, that's a very important step. If you don't know what the pots do, DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING. You can make it really bad - to the point that you need an oscilloscope and a lot of time to get them back to where they are supposed to be - if you start tweaking the wrong pot.
    never done scanner tuning before. i am assuming, that this is a VERY sensitive procedure?
    Well, it's not sensitive like brain surgery or anything. You do have some leeway on the pots (plus or minus a half-turn or so before things start to really change for the worse), and the scanners will give you hints when you're doing something wrong. (Auditory warnings, like screeching, and visible warnings, like oscillation in the pattern.)
    are the amps and/or scanners forgiving if the adjusting goes above OR beyond some certain *threshold* limit of adjusting? in other words, is there a way that i can actually overdrive the scanner and break it?
    Unfortunately you *CAN* break a set of scanners by tuning them; if you let them get away from you that is. There is no inherent safety on the scanners, so if you just crank away and don't pay attention, yeah, you can ruin them. But if you go slow and watch how the pattern changes, you will be fine. It's not "easy" to break them, but it can be done.

Tuning is a somewhat tedious process. You add a little gain, then you add just enough low frequency damping to get rid of the overshoot. Then a little more gain, then more LF damping. Eventually, when you get the gain up pretty high, you'll start to get undershoot, which means you'll need to add high frequency damping. Then it gets tricky, because a change in any one pot when you're up that high will have an effect on what the other two do to the pattern.
    i am going to have to try to find a layout or schematic or something of my amp drivers. i remember Cambridge, the few times i spoke with them, being VERY customer friendly. will they supply this info to me you think? (schematic or layout for the proper adjustment pots?)
    They'll probably supply you with tuning instructions too. Or you can just look on the web; I'm sure there are several documents out there that explain the layout of the amps, and you've already got some links (above) to get you started tuning. Yeah, Cambridge is good about that...

I'll try to work on my tutorial some more this weekend. Mainly I want to incorporate the *great* tips that Bill Benner shared with us at FLEM 1.5 back in October of last year. (Things like turning off the blanking so you can use the re-trace lines to see how your scanners are doing....) Unfortunately, all the video is crap, so I'm really stuck as to how to illustrate things.
    I understand my ILDA test pattern looks like crap, BUT- if everything else projected looks good, is this neccessary to perform? (the tuning).
    If you test pattern looks like crap, eventually you'll find ILDA frames that look like crap as well. Getting the test pattern dialed in means that your scanners will be as good as they're going to get. Sure, you can display beams even if your galvos are horribly out of tune. (How accurate do you need to be to make a line?) You can even display most graphics with poorly tuned scanners... But eventually you're going to notice that certain images just don't look right. And the more you watch your graphics and pay attention to things like tails, oval circles, and wavy lines that are supposed to be straight, the more distortion you'll notice. Tuning will solve these problems.
    the ILDA pattern is probably almost like a *stress test* for the scanners correct? in other words, a test to really push them. do they perform like that under normal ooperating circumstances?
    There are parts of the ILDA test pattern that are analogous to a stress test. (Not a test to failure, but a test to max spec.) However, there are also parts of many popular ILDA images that push the galvos to the same extent. If you get the scanners dialed in correctly, they will perform at their maximum *without* any danger of overheating or resonance damage. Screw up the tuning, and that protection is no longer there. (Not to mention the fact that your image quality will suffer.)

Adam

Default Weird rectangle with 30k test frame in Moncha

Greetings, sorry to dig a zombie up from the depths of a forum but i don't want to start a new thread for this. I fired up the projector to see how would the testframes look so i downloaded here from LaserFX page http://www.laserfx.com/Backstage.Las...Scanning1.html

I imported the ilda frames into Moncha. The 12k pattern looks ok at ~8 degrees and 12kpps but if i display the 30k @30k it's unreadable and i have to expand the viewport to 100% to see it at (supposed) 8 degrees but there is a huge rectangle surrounding the whole frame and it's not drawing correctly.

Here a video of what i mean http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsewCPbzGws

Can you please advise me any program that works with Moncha DAC that could be used to play test patterns correctly? Or maybe a freeware ILDA frame editor so i can examine the frame and somehow adjust it to render correctly in Moncha? Thanks for reply.

Update: here a screenshot of what it looks like in the preview in Moncha http://gallery.kirril.com/images/0001/1298664178136.jpg
    Last edited by dzodzo; 02-25-2011 at 11:03. Reason: picture link added

Quote Originally Posted by dzodzo View Post
    Greetings, sorry to dig a zombie up from the depths of a forum but i don't want to start a new thread for this. I fired up the projector to see how would the testframes look so i downloaded here from LaserFX page http://www.laserfx.com/Backstage.Las...Scanning1.html

I imported the ilda frames into Moncha. The 12k pattern looks ok at ~8 degrees and 12kpps but if i display the 30k @30k it's unreadable and i have to expand the viewport to 100% to see it at (supposed) 8 degrees but there is a huge rectangle surrounding the whole frame and it's not drawing correctly.

Here a video of what i mean http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsewCPbzGws

Can you please advise me any program that works with Moncha DAC that could be used to play test patterns correctly? Or maybe a freeware ILDA frame editor so i can examine the frame and somehow adjust it to render correctly in Moncha? Thanks for reply.

Update: here a screenshot of what it looks like in the preview in Moncha http://gallery.kirril.com/images/0001/1298664178136.jpg
    That is a valid 30K pattern, it is often used on the front end of firstlights shows. You set you scan angle to the big rectangle and tune from the small center pattern. Other wise you use the 12K pattern at 30K which will squeeze the circle inward when scanned faster. iirc.
    leading in trailing technology

Quote Originally Posted by polishedball View Post
    That is a valid 30K pattern, it is often used on the front end of firstlights shows. You set you scan angle to the big rectangle and tune from the small center pattern. Other wise you use the 12K pattern at 30K which will squeeze the circle inward when scanned faster. iirc.
    Thanks for clarification, i wasn't sure why there is the big rectangle as it adds to the pointcount and jumps that galvos have to manage, i will try tomorrow with the 12k test frame at 30k

What does the test pattern look like with unmodulated {no blanking of the laser} lines in the image from the laser? There in lies critical keys to a good tune.....as was shown to me by King Pangolin
    You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich

The Moncha software WILL NOT display the ILDA pattern as it is intended because of the way it optimizes output. Spaghetti works with the Moncha DAC and WILL display the test frame correctly if you turn off optimizations. I am not sure what other program will work with the Moncha DAC.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnYayas View Post
    The Moncha software WILL NOT display the ILDA pattern as it is intended because of the way it optimizes output. Spaghetti works with the Moncha DAC and WILL display the test frame correctly if you turn off optimizations. I am not sure what other program will work with the Moncha DAC.
    I have tried Spaghetti but unlicensed version doesn't allow me to do anything with the software. Do you know if demo version (it's by request) will have at least the option to load ILDA frame to test output?

I'll try to display the blanking lines in Moncha maybe it will show more of how it works or should work.

Quote Originally Posted by dzodzo View Post
    I have tried Spaghetti but unlicensed version doesn't allow me to do anything with the software. Do you know if demo version (it's by request) will have at least the option to load ILDA frame to test output?

I'll try to display the blanking lines in Moncha maybe it will show more of how it works or should work.
    Demo version does not do laser output.