Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: How to tune your scanners

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    enough people that WANT to know, since I imagine MOST PL-ers are strictly analog / TTL-direct or PCAOM (which I know has already been posted on how to 'bragg' )

OK, I'll go away, now! - peace..

-J
    Hey, I'm about to get 6 watts of q switeched yag running, could use some blanking galvo info since my qswitch driver does NOT like CW hold off.

Steve[/quote]

My favorite steve is "focus beam - galvo blank blade - re collimate beam" with same size lens (i use 2" fl) used to focus beam works great very fast and keep your mass very small on galvo (I used a soda can cut and wrapped around galvo shaft held in place with a dab of 5 min epoxy use a file to get a knife edge on blade) Simple and cheap & effective as you can get!

Adam
    this is wonderful. Well done and thanks to you for expressing it as ever is such an understandable way bau also to Bill for the inspiration.
    Maybe we should have guides like this in PDF format on teh FTP server - what do you think?

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

Hi Rob, thanks for the kudos!

I can't take any credit for the technique or the 3-legged stool analogy though. That's all Bill Benner's work. All I did was type it up. Still, I'm glad that people are finding it easy to follow. (Was a little concerned that I might not get the concepts across clearly...)

As for a .pdf on the FTP server, I think that's a great idea. Though it would be nice to add some pictures to it first. Hmmm... We've got a meet coming up on March 1st; if I can get some decent shots of some scanner tuning at that event (I know we'll be tuning scanners - we *always* tune scanners at FLEM) then maybe we can add them to the document and save it as a .pdf.

Adam

Adam, thanks for the great write-up.

In the pic its not perfect yet because I've been trying to get rid of the overlap in the small square on the left side. This also shows up in other scans where closed shapes like circles and squares don't close right so I would really like to fix it. But I can't get this right, anyone any ideas on how to do it?

- Matthijs
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RT90 30K 6deg ilda30k.jpg  

Cool

Hey Zoof;

Post a picture with the blanking turned off. One picture with the ILDA test pattern in normal orientation, and one with it rotated 90 degrees. From the looks of the 4 lines beneath the square, I'd say your Y scanner needs more damping, but it could just be that your color speed is a little off. A picture with blanking turned off will tell for sure. (Actually, looking at the top of the pattern, it does appear that your color speed is off...)

Adam

hey Zoof - thats not your normal projection screen - wheres that door?

rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

Hi Rob, the door is open, this is the wall behind it

Hi Adam,
    That line going up is the color speed being off. I think the color shift was set to 0 and needs to be 3-4 at 35k. I'm tuning these to 35k at 8 deg.
    The problem I've been facing was that closed shapes in logos etc didn't close right there was a gap sideways like the inner square in my previous post. Today I've been trying like hell to improve and actually did come up with a solution, maybe a bit controversial.
    First pic is the near perfect ilda setting that still has the gap but which is invisible due to the color now being shifted right. Then I started to tweak the controls on the images showing the overlap artifact and found that underdamping the low frequency solves it to a high degree. So now the ilda pattern has overshoots in every corner but the images come out nice and crisp.
    Second and third pic show the overshoots in the test pattern that became my final setting.
    Also included some of those crisp looking pics, very hard to tell where the shapes close. The cell phone logo closes at the bottom which is slightly visible. All in all I'm really happy with these setting despite the overshoots in the ILDA pattern. BTW the speed has been matched with the lasermedia test pattern and works like a charm.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails final tuning np.jpg  

final tuning0.jpg  

final tuning.jpg  

final tuning crisp.jpg  

final tuning crisp2.jpg  

and one more, this one should make everybody happy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails final tuning crisp3.jpg  

mmmm yummy!

Wow... I am in desperate need of a blue laser... every time I see pictures like those

Smile

Good job there, Zoof!

In that first picture, it appears that you had some undershoot on the Y scanner, which would indicate that you need a little more HF damping.

On the other pics, it appears that you X scanner has a tad more gain than the Y because the circle is larger in that dimention. However, you did mention that the Laser Media test pattern looks OK, so the difference in the circle could be that you've got a little less LF damping on the X.

Still, the rest of the pictures look fine, and I *really* like the Heinekin logo! (I had a few Peroni's last night, along with 4 or 5 of the Sam Adam's Cherry Wheat... Pity I don't have those logos in ILDA form. )

Bottom line - tuning is a balancing act, and sometimes you have to find a happy medium between what looks good in the real world and what looks good on the test pattern. (Or even, what looks good between the ILDA test pattern and the LaserMedia test pattern.)

Looks like you've found your sweet spot though. Well done. (Have you fired up your game software yet to see how that looks?)

Adam