Thread: Newbie looking to buy 1st laser projector

Default Newbie looking to buy 1st laser projector

I just want one to play around with. I tried to build one sold by SVS - I think it stand for Silicon Valley Surplus about 10 or so years ago. Anyone remember them? I think they are no longer in business. It kind of worked as a stand alone unit, but I could not get it to communicate with the computer so gave I gave up on it. It has been sitting collecting dust since then, but I'm thinking of digging it out and see if I can get it to work properly.

I have been looking at the LaserWorld LW-45K and Lasershowparts ScanPro40, but dont know which one to get. Are there any other comparable one in those price range?

Also besides the laser, what else will I need to be able to connect it to the computer and create graphics/texts?

Thanks.

You should have a look into the scanpro30's. 30k is a industry standard, whereas 40k, or 45k is not... So you probably wont gain that much by getting the faster scanners.

Besides the laser and scanners, a few other things like laser software(this usually comes with a DAC or interface board), a safety shutter, and a suitable box to mount it all in..

Welcome to PL
    KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/

Thanks for your reply, Dave. Also , does it matters which laser I get? I have seen specs that says TTL and analog... Does it matter? Does the laser itself need to communicate with the scanners at all?

Thanks.

Cool

TTL is just off or on. Analog modulation gives the available lowest power to the fullest power of the laser, controlled via the signals of modulation from the DAC. TTL will yield only 7 color combinations. Analog, depending on DAC and software package, will give you the best color range......a lot more than just 7. Then again it depends on what you are wanting from it and how much $ you have to invest. If you are looking for the best graphics and clean text....Pangolin is the way to go. Search around as there have been many reviews and articles of the like......welcome to the money pit.
    You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich

Thanks. I get it now. Since I'm new at this.. I'm just going to use freeware programs now. Which DAC I should build or buy, and also which freeware programs do you recommend?

Also, I just want green for now and maybe will upgrade to RGY later. To get yellow, you only need red and green right?

If I get the Scanpro30, how hard is it to get it to generate RGY?

Thanks.

I think the best value for money software you could go for is the Pangolin LA Freak. Search this, there are many threads on the pangolin LA Freak/ FB3. I wouldn't even look to freeware software and dac's because the price of the LA Freak is so low..

To upgrade to a RYG all that is needed is an appropriate diachroic and a red laser.
    KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/