Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mitsubishi unveil Laser TV at CES 2008

Default Mitsubishi unveil Laser TV at CES 2008

ohhh ahhh goofind ...interesting to see they are a reality ...no doubt like ll new tech like expensive ....lets hope the price comes down quicker thn Blu-ray player etc ....ty seem to be really slow in dropping in price !
    PAUL
    In the beginning there was none. Then came the light - #1 UKLEM - 2007
    BUY UK LEGAL LASER POINTER :: NEW - Blue 460nm Laser Pointers

Arrow

I hinted to the wife today that we are in need of a new TV. The convergence is off again on the Mitsu. May take hundreds to fix it......I say. Back to projection this weekend...........
    You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich

i am sure a lot of you hope on harvesting the diodes. I personally cant wait for a hack of the "scanning" system to come out. There are no limits of speed

Quote Originally Posted by dream beamz View Post
    i am sure a lot of you hope on harvesting the diodes. I personally cant wait for a hack of the "scanning" system to come out. There are no limits of speed
    I thought about that, but realized that these DMDs are not very suitable for our purposes. This is because the lasers' effect is spread out over the whole projection angle, even if the projector is only displaying a single beam (1 pixel full on, rest off). This means that, unless you have some really powerful lasers, it will be hard to create beamshows.

Using the traditional scanning method with galvos you can naturally focus all of the lasers' effect in a single point or in an arbitrary (continuous) pattern.

Now, what I'm really wondering about these laser TVs is how the laser beam is diverged. How do they get homogeneous lighting of the screen?

the 1 pixel problem could "easily" be solved with a piece of software. that is after someone comes up with laser software. I dont think it will be too hard. Instead of having a sound dac we will have video out dacs. the laser display will be the 2nd monitor in essence. I think there is hope and I really think however they do it will be the future of shows.

Quote Originally Posted by tocket View Post
    Now, what I'm really wondering about these laser TVs is how the laser beam is diverged. How do they get homogeneous lighting of the screen?
    I'm guessing its just a screen with a matrix of pixels, each of which acts as a diffuser for all light that hits that one element. Of course the nitty gritty will be a bit more complicated than that though ;-D

Basically, it's a DLP projector that uses 3 lasers instead of a discharge lamp plus colour wheel - which is interesting, given some of the other posts on this forum about lasers destroying DLP arrays!

Quote Originally Posted by dream beamz View Post
    the 1 pixel problem could "easily" be solved with a piece of software. that is after someone comes up with laser software. I dont think it will be too hard. Instead of having a sound dac we will have video out dacs. the laser display will be the 2nd monitor in essence. I think there is hope and I really think however they do it will be the future of shows.
    A better DAC or software isn't going to solve this, because the whole concept of using a DMD relies on every pixel (mirror) receiving equal amounts of light, regardless if it's on or off. Tilting the mirror then turns that pixel on or off (and very quickly so). Each pixel is then receiving 1/([horizontal resolution]*[vertical resolution]) of the total light, and that's the ideal case. In practice it's going to be even less than that.

Quote Originally Posted by pseudonomen137 View Post
    I'm guessing its just a screen with a matrix of pixels, each of which acts as a diffuser for all light that hits that one element. Of course the nitty gritty will be a bit more complicated than that though ;-D
    I wonder how large the DMD is. There's got to be some optics before it, but how the hell do they get homogenous lighting of a rectangular area with little losses using traditional optics? I'm guessing they don't, and that the solution is a combination of weird optics, maybe weird lasers too and balancing the intensity profile with video processing.

I think I better not get one of these TVs, because it wouldn't be long until it was in pieces.

It appears that when they come out they will be dimmer than other TV technologies; Look at how they turned off or seriously dimmed the lights for the TV presentation. Also, it's kind of ironic how some sites post comparison photos, when you're viewing the photos on the same technology that's color limited. The best they can show is a vague saturation difference.