Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Well, hello there

Default Well, hello there

Greetings to all.

New member here. Recently came across the laser projector project and I am knee deep in it and can't wait to get started. Hopefully, my engineering background can get me through it easily without zapping myself, as us mechanical engineers do not believe in that imaginary thing called electricity. JK.

As I do have expensive tastes, I'm trying to keep it relatively simple the first go-round with a monochrome 532nm scanning system. I'm sure that will progress quickly in to multi-color.

Great, just another thing to burn a hole in my wallet.

Hi Synce, and welcome to PL, we'll be glad to help grow your photon addition.

They can pop balloons too.

Quote Originally Posted by Synce View Post

Oh, we do that here. See 5:00 minutes in... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gkJx2bCeZA

Smile

Welcome to PhotonLexicon, Synce. I see you're in Alabama. One of our members (Stuka) works in Alabama (though he lives in Knoxville, TN). Perhaps the two of you could get together over a beer or two and talk shop...

If you're going to build a green-only projector, be sure to leave room for the red and blue lasers that will inevitibly follow! There are plenty of pictures in the gallery that can give you inspiration for your layout. But you definitely want to have it all planned out well in advance before you start cutting and drilling.

Have you purchased any parts yet, or are you still in the design phase?

Adam

I will definitely leave room for the red and blue lasers!

I'm in the process of hunting down a laser and scanner (trying to decide between the DT-30 and Z30). Any opinions? I feel that those should give me plenty of possibilites for future projects. I'm trying to determine what power laser I need to begin with. I was leaning towards the Aixiz 50mw but, I had some concerns about its intensity when performing beam effects and was wondering if I should step up to a 100-200mw. At the same time, I do not want to be frying my friends eyeballs.

Smile

100 mw is a typical starting point. Bright enough to make impressive beams, but not enough to pose a serious risk of scorching anything. They're also quite affordable. Be sure you pay the 10% to 15% extra to get a driver that supports analog modulation. You'll really appreciate that when you step up to full color.

As for risks to your eyeballs, as soon as you get past Class 3A limits (4.99 mw) you're into the danger zone. (Actually, according to some published research, it's possible to cause damage even at Class 3A levels with prolonged exposure.) So you're going to need to be careful with the unit no matter if you install a 50 mw laser or a 200 mw laser. I suggest you purchase a set of goggles to protect your eyes while you're aligning everything.

The DT-30 scanners are very nice, and they are also quite affordable. I haven't heard anything about the Z30's you mentioned, however. Another option to consider would be the ScanPro-30's that LaserShowParts.com sells. Either those or the DT-30's will serve you well.

Adam

Thanks for the info. I will take your advice and start with the 100mw. As for the scanners, finding a good priced 30k state-side is a bit of a challenge. I have no issues from ordering elsewhere but I'd like to find some soon so I can have a good holiday project. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Synce View Post
    finding a good priced 30k state-side is a bit of a challenge.
    Try here! http://www.dzelaser.com/

I have contacted DZE for the DT-30's. The reponse was just a little higher than what I was looking to spend. Definitely will keep them in mind though!

Again, you get what you pay for. In dealing with him, you will a get quality set of galvos that have been professionally tuned, (Not just the factory default) fast shipping and excellent support. I highly recommend the breakout board as well. It's ultimately your decision but would be a great way to go if you want to tinker during the holidays.