Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: The building starts here - RGB DT40 scanner

I second the powder coating. It shouldn't cost too much if you find the right place. I know of a great place here in Denver Colorado but that probably won't help you much. Talk to the place that did the sheet metal. they should have some recommendations for you.

If you insist on painting it your self then use a good rust inhibiting primer first after a through cleaning. I would use lots of acetone. And remember that after it is cleaned you can not touch it with your bare hands without cleaning again. Oils from your skin are enough to cause problems.

CHad

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

i hear what your all saying but for the moment its gona have to be a no no. im penny less, im gona have to spray it my self.

i have those laytex gloves so it should be fine

cheers guys
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

I do like the two storey construction, makes for a nice tidy optical platform!

thanks and yes it sure does.

gona get my final holes cut tomorrow andit should be ready weekend for spraying
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

I have sprayed lots of stuff and never have flaking. The key is to clean really well to get all the oils off. For that you could get away with soap and water. Just dry it well. Then scuff it with some fine sandpaper. Then reclean. After cleaning using rubber gloves to prevent oil from your fingers getting on it. Use a tack rag to get dust off. Tack rags are sticky cheese cloth things. You open up the package, wad them up, and just lightly dust the surface of the metal with it. Then spray with primer, then paint. I usually do one coat of primer and 2 or 3 light coats of paint. I allow it to flash between coats so that all the layers chemically bond together.

I learned to do this when I restored my car.

Quote Originally Posted by andy_con View Post
    pffff powder coating!!!

i was gona use white spirt to clean then spray??
    Don't use white spirit whatever you do! that'll leave a greasy layer that'll ruin any attempt to paint it.

Try to get it properly coated, it's easy now and to paint it properly will not cost much less...

If you do paint yourself, key the metal with some 240(ish) grit paper, wipe off the worst and degrease with panel wipe or cheap cellulose thinners (do this outside and be careful as thinners stinks and is highly flammable!) DON'T use white spirit/paraffin/petrol etc.
    Then use a good primer, preferably acid etch (U-POL do something called acid #8) then your choice of paint, and not too thick.

You can get ahold of degreasers fairly easily. we always used simple green to prep steel for welding and it seemed to do ok for that, but I can't really testify for just painting steel. as for the paint, you should definitely prime first, and thin coats are the way to go. also, if you have time, spray one thin coat per day. the dry time is a little excessive, but you'll make sure to get a nice, hard coat of paint that way. also of note: if you don't get fancy with the design, you can just re-spray it later on if you need to.
    "TO DO IS TO BE" - Nietzsche
    "TO BE IS TO DO" - Kant
    "DO BE DO BE DO" - Sinatra

Quote Originally Posted by carmangary View Post
    I have sprayed lots of stuff and never have flaking. The key is to clean really well to get all the oils off. For that you could get away with soap and water. Just dry it well. Then scuff it with some fine sandpaper. Then reclean. After cleaning using rubber gloves to prevent oil from your fingers getting on it. Use a tack rag to get dust off. Tack rags are sticky cheese cloth things. You open up the package, wad them up, and just lightly dust the surface of the metal with it. Then spray with primer, then paint. I usually do one coat of primer and 2 or 3 light coats of paint. I allow it to flash between coats so that all the layers chemically bond together.

I learned to do this when I restored my car.
    Don't use white spirit whatever you do! that'll leave a greasy layer that'll ruin any attempt to paint it.

Try to get it properly coated, it's easy now and to paint it properly will not cost much less...

If you do paint yourself, key the metal with some 240(ish) grit paper, wipe off the worst and degrease with panel wipe or cheap cellulose thinners (do this outside and be careful as thinners stinks and is highly flammable!) DON'T use white spirit/paraffin/petrol etc.
    Then use a good primer, preferably acid etch (U-POL do something called acid #8) then your choice of paint, and not too thick.
    You can get ahold of degreasers fairly easily. we always used simple green to prep steel for welding and it seemed to do ok for that, but I can't really testify for just painting steel. as for the paint, you should definitely prime first, and thin coats are the way to go. also, if you have time, spray one thin coat per day. the dry time is a little excessive, but you'll make sure to get a nice, hard coat of paint that way. also of note: if you don't get fancy with the design, you can just re-spray it later on if you need to.
    its already been keyed, so thats ok.

dont use white spirt! but i can use soap and water to clean it? thats cool.

i got some metal primer from B&Q last night so i might start weekend
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Andy

Do it well .... cos your going to have 30 pairs of eyes inspecting soon

Your case looks fantastic , its amazing you have put so much effort into it ..and financials of course ..as well as patience !

I am very much looking forward to seeing it at the meet and i will bring a magnifying glass to inspect your paint Job

PAUL
    In the beginning there was none. Then came the light - #1 UKLEM - 2007
    BUY UK LEGAL LASER POINTER :: NEW - Blue 460nm Laser Pointers

LOL, i went to the metal place after i made that post. they have keyed it and done some cleaning to get rid of oil etc. they still said to clean it but spraying wont be a problem and they have never had one flake. so fingers crossed
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat