Thread: 100mW CW blu-ray from digikey.. who will take the plunge?

Default 100mW CW blu-ray from digikey.. who will take the plunge?

Still pricey, but getting better. 9x19 degree half intensity angle.

http://www.digikey.com/scripts/US/DK...CROELECTRONICS

datasheet

Digi-Key says they have 46 of them in stock.

So if I ordered all of them that would be $50,197.50

Yikes! a $50,197.50 antistat bag that you can hold in the palm of your hand.

And I get nervous shipping ANYTHING with Fed-EX. I would be a nervous wreck.

chad

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

lol nice find even if it is pricey personly at the moment i would spen under £200 and get this and extract the diode its a 6x blu ray burner which should give you around 80 to 100mw hell you could purchase 5 of them for the price of 1 of themheres the link.
    http://www.dabs.com/ProductView.aspx...1003&InMerch=1

Would be nice if that is the datasheet that goes to the diode in that drive!
    hmmmm

yes the all important data sheet,with a bit of luck and the money holds up i will get one in a few weeks and find out what it can do,but without the daya sheet its all guess work on the most part.

those drives seem to be a much better deal before you do the US conversion then they are like $390USD

so you could get 3 if you add like $100USD to the price of the digikey diode
    granted its still a better deal but what if its mounted very well and gets destroyed in the process that's almost $400USD A POP

--
    John
    VJ AIWAZ

Lightbulb

I can think of someone who might snag a few...
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

Ah, think I'll wait for the price to come down a bit.

I wonder if high powered LDs at this frequency would make better burners because the shorter wavelength can be focused to a tighter spot. I also wonder if high powered red LDs (DVD diodes) will become hard to find as the industry shifts to blueray.

I wasn't aware of the broad linewidth of these lasers.. at around 100mW it's over a nm.

[quote=VJ AIWAZ;40352]those drives seem to be a much better deal before you do the US conversion then they are like $390USD

so you could get 3 if you add like $100USD to the price of the digikey diode
    granted its still a better deal but what if its mounted very well and gets destroyed in the process that's almost $400USD A POP

--
    John
    VJ AIWAZ[/quote
    It does not matter where the diode comes from you can still mount it wrong or kill it with static and i would sooner try it with a $400 diode than one worth over 1000, granted the digikey is the bare diode so you dont have to mess around extracting it from the unit and you will be able to get a spec sheet with it but i think its a small price to pay for what you are getting in return