Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: UK Laser Meet - Safety Issues???

Interesting ........ like all humanities policing is needed but unless the rewards are good enough let face it nobody wants to be THE FUZZ , the thought of spoiling anyones fun or becoming the big brother figure that has the appearence of spoiling peoples fun .

Policing is a non issue really , it marks venue and marks well capble of dealing with any "characters" who dont understand the value of retinas ........ so i propose the policy is quiet word in persons ear ..if no legitimate response ..speak to mark who will throw them over the fire escape bannister .

I fully beleive this at this stage is a bit of a non issue , from everything i have read here i would guesstimate everyone who is attending is "steetwise" enough to know the script ........ anyone who does anything untoward will more likely do it from lack of knowledge or projection space and quiet word in their ear with explanation as to why i am sure ill be sufficient.

However if this event proceeds to continue to grow i am sure safety procedures will become paramount and this thread is a good excercise in setting some ground rules ..........

Which brings me to "Perception" ......... an anolgy to compare to is speeding .....some people think you shoould be hung for doing 33mph in a 30 zone ..others think doing 50 in a 30 zone is perfectly acceptable and either advocate of that view will possibly verhmantly defend that view ... for some the middle ground cant be found ....as with trying to set all rules middle grounds are always a compromise that some wont find acceptable.

So whats the future ....... an event thats sticks to the letter of the H&S law .... with some rules that are effectively a waste of time for hobbyist, an example i can think of is keyswitch .... i dont want to start debate on this its just an example ..surely keyswitches are only for commercial premises etc ! Also remmeber the law has no middle ground or compromises so its a sticky route to go down for a hobbyist meet .

Luckily thanks to Fluffs generousity of free venue means theres no entry fee which means theres no health and safety /insurance onus on the venue owner as i understand it so we have to be self governing and equally responsible for each other .

I m happy to collect and post a list of GROUND RULES SUGGESTED BY YOU ( either by thread or privately by PM ) ....but i wont be enforcer or suggesting any or even editing suggestions i will act simply as funnell collecting the info and posting it ....... so if any of you have burning desire NOT to see something happen at the meet please post it here or PM me , iill guarantee anon if required

Its gonna be a great day ..lets go for it ..safely !

PAUL
    In the beginning there was none. Then came the light - #1 UKLEM - 2007
    BUY UK LEGAL LASER POINTER :: NEW - Blue 460nm Laser Pointers

May I suggest that one (or possibly 2 to ensure continuity of coverage) people are designated as safety officers for the event, thus giving a central point of contact. They should be on-site from the start to the end of the event, and it should be a requirement that anyone bringing kit liases with them before connecting anything up.
    I'm also not too clear on who's being allowed in to this event, looks like there may be some need to separate enthusiasts and casual visitors.

soforene is offline The Troll formerly known as Herbert Von Poople-Futtocks

Quote Originally Posted by greenalien View Post
    .... there may be some need to separate enthusiasts and casual visitors.
    How would you classify peeps?
    And who is allowed where?
    I shouldn't imagine too many folks are just gonna wander in off the street, attracted by all the bright lights so therefore we are all enthusiasts.
    Are there gonna be clearly defined "Them and Us" areas?

Sounds like a step too far from "Da Man".

The suggestion about having clearly recognisable *Authority Figures" (Hello Flourescent Man) is a good one as it sounds like there's gonna be many more peeps at this meet than the last so there should be one or two peeps who are generally keeping an eye on things.
    Event Managers?
    Blimey.
    It's an Out of Control Monster !!

Sounds like my 5 year old fighting skills may come in useful after all.

it was so much easier at the last meet, we all took care of our own stuff and no one did anything stupid and the day went without a hitch!
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Hi Andy

I think it was maybe good luck rather than good planning that there was no hitch or accident.

As I remember giving some advice regarding contacting authorities for outdoor displays (CAA, Local Council, Traffic Police etc.) I remember seeing some photos of projections on a building next to the venue. What if someone was passing in a car was distracted & had an accident, What if someone looked out of the window & seen pretty green lights & called the UFO sighting team ??

I am not saying that it should not have been done, I just need to know who is going to explain in court if anything should go wrong ??

I know it may never happen, but what if ??? big questions the authorities always want answered.

I do think that Rob has raised some of the more important safety issues like 3 phase electrical systems, water pipes, loose cables on floors, open frame lasers, flammable curtains, hot smoke machines, all potentially could cause death !!! a laser beam could take out your eye !!

Yes I am all for self regulation, but who is ultimately responsible, I probably would be as myself or James Stewart (if he is going !!) operate as professional Laser Safety Officers and therefore should have known better !!

I know this is not a formal event, so risk assessments would not normally be required, but I agree there should be someone responsible for general safety advise & no I am not putting myself forward for this role. I can give advice, but I wont police or enforce on the day, we are all their to enjoy the day without incident.

p.s. Karl yes I have a radio kit if needed !!

Regards

Kevin
    Free Guide Dog Puppy With Every Laser Show Lynx Laser UK

Andy wrote
    it was so much easier at the last meet, we all took care of our own stuff and no one did anything stupid and the day went without a hitch!
    Yes thats true .... but look how many are attending this one and how much more kit will be there, .... also i expect that the one after this will be even bigger and better, and over the last few months we have seen more and more "profesional" laserists joining the forum, it will be great to get them involved with future events, so we will have to show a certain level of control ....

it will be better to start the discipline now at this event rather than wait until it gets bigger, also i think we have to respect Mark ( Fluff ) the host of the event, as he runs a profesional Laser business and i would not want to tarnish his fine reputation by US turning it into a dangerous event.

all the best ..... Karl

bloody hell Kev ..... both typing at the same time hehe

KEV Wrote p.s. Karl yes I have a radio kit if needed !!
    TOP BANNANA KEV ..... i think if we could " Borrow" it on the day it would make life a lot easier

totally agree things need to be done properly as there are twice as many people, twice as many lasers and probably twice as much power. i just wouldnt want the day not to be fun.

im all up for safety as long as it does not take the fun element away.

you never know next time we may be looking for a bigger venue
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Hi Karl

Yes no problem I will bring some mains distro. as well. I know we were well short of sockets last time.

I don,t like radio links for audio, so I will bring some small 50W powerd speakers, so that we can connect locally to kit.

Hope Fluff has still got my 6 way mains extension ?.

Regards

Kevin

Kev

Some speakers (and an amp) would be good and would save me having to try and junction the 63A connector that I pinched last time from the PA to allow the PA and my laser to work together.

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

Hi Rob

No problem, I don't think it would be worthwhile bringing our laser kit, but I will bring my small Pangolin Live pro PC & Laptop.

PA System is not a problem. A few speakers and an amp I will supply to save others from loading cars full of stuff.

Regards

Kevin