Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: UK Laser Meet - Safety Issues???

Nice 1 Kev
    Much appreciated - u r a *

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

thats good, so music this time

i would bring my brothers disco system but ive only got a small car
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Guys

First off , for clarification people cant walk in off the street , and anyone passing will be unaware of an event so separation currently is a non issue as far as i am aware.

Some serious issues have been raised ...the designation of laser safety officers and what in effect would be registration .

An LSO would cost cash , as they could be putting their proffesion on the line and would likely require insurance for acting in that role. In that role also they would be required to ensure the LETTER of the law is adhered to which i beleive would mean some hobbyist would NOT be allowed to in effect turn their kit on ........ am i scaremongering ? whats the proffesional view ?

I detected a view in a post that would in effect require registration of people arriving and kit as it comes in the door ...... ( which is REAL can of worms )

I beleive if the event continues to more meets and GROWS such things will inevitably happen but can we live with self goverance for this meet ?

Regulations/rules ofoperation dont concern me too much , lets face it if a company had been first to organise these meets on their premises there would automatically have been rules and regulations ...but the way the meets have came about mean only we can be responsible individually and collectively ...unless someone wants to step forward ?

The most serious issues that have been raised for me are basically kevins attendance ( reputation) and marks reputation ..... ..... as laser proffesionals its very important something stupid happening does not reflect on them .

This alone means i beleive we should collectively get a lot more serious as a group towards safety ... which may inevitably mean following the letter of the law .....but it needs someone to step up to the plate to detail the law in plain english ........ i certainly dont have the ability to be the Laser Fuzz otherwise i would offer it do it based SOLEY for the protection of the proffessionals in attendance integrity .

Long term if these events are not at least "SEEN" to be safe or have the appearence to be safe the hope of attracting proffesionals that can pass on the knowledge we need may diminish which would certainly make me unhappy

I dont know the answers and i dont think we have enough time to formlise anything for this meet other than to emphsize to each other that we must work safely to the best our abilities and knowledge ....and i believe with a wide variation in peoples knowledge bases this will be bigger issue than most people in attendance desire to work safely .

Theres a plate and unless anyone whats to step up to to it i believe this particular meet will go ahead with self governace at the heart of it........ and thats not a negative i dont know anyone who from their appearence on this forum will be doing anything stupid.

PAUL
    In the beginning there was none. Then came the light - #1 UKLEM - 2007
    BUY UK LEGAL LASER POINTER :: NEW - Blue 460nm Laser Pointers

Quote Originally Posted by Lasermad View Post
    I detected a view in a post that would in effect require registration of people arriving and kit as it comes in the door ...... ( which is REAL can of worms )
    Paul
    I think I know where you are comming from saying this is a can of worms but in fact we are thinking that to help the 'security' guard we make up some name tags and log the people who have been issued with them - if you go to my security fee thread I will elaborate fully there

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner

One more thing applicable to all - and this is a plea for help.

Last time many people mucked in shifting kit - mostly my kit - up the stairs. So Im asking for volunteers - not specifically for lugging gear but just helping out with anything really. If you dont have kit please enjoy the lasers but also please lend a hand for anyone in need.

I know we all all buddies here and so are likely to not need asking but Im asking anyway

Rob

Perhaps the simplest solution would be to draw up some sort of disclaimer that everyone has to sign as a condition of entry - something along the lines of 'I won't hold the organisers or other attendees responsible for any exposure to laser radiation that I might encounter at this event and I knowingly enter at my own risk'. Back this up with a 'Laser Radiation may be encountered beyond this point' notice.

Might also be useful to have some safety goggles handy that anyone can use when taking a close look at someone's work , or setting up their own.

ill be bring 3 pairs of goggles with me.

rob im always willing to help with your white
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Ive asked Mark (fluff) about rooms and tables and it looks like we will have the upper and ground floors available both of which will blackout - so we can have a light room for tinkering chatting examining kit etc - and a darkend room for displays. Also there should be some tables available for use - I dont know how sturdy they are or how many there will be but hope they will be good enough for me to put my whitelight safely on.

Rob

i might see if i can bring a very small table of some sort just for my laptop a whole table seems a bit extreme
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

soforene is offline The Troll formerly known as Herbert Von Poople-Futtocks

Thumbs up

Count me in for a Mr Shifter role.

As I don't have much kit to speak of compared to you Laser Gods, I shall be justifying my presence by bringing along a few Polo Shirts with the logo on as well as my Smoke machine and a couple of Lighting Stands that extend to 3.6 metres should anyone want to make use of 'em.

Looking forward to the day immensely as the excitement seems to be building (judging by the number of posts and threads the event is generating).