Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: UK Laser Meet - Safety Issues???

I second Jem ..........

but really ..... i will let him decide first if he wants to be part of it,

It sounds a good idea ..... and im sure Kevin Todd would give us some help if we need it .... i think its the way we have to go ..... minimising the risk

i did see a couple of high risk intances at the last meet, the first was from a DMX controlled projector and it had some preset pattens that consisted of slow single beams at eye level, i know that its difficult to predict the DMX controlled ones as they cylcle through the presets , the other was high power laser pointers being fired accross the room

but to be honest i never said anything i just turned a blind eye ( pun intended ) no one wants to be the laser police at that meet but if it gets bigger we need some formal rules

all the best ...... Karl

I've been in touch with Paul by PM. However, on consideration I think some of what I said to Paul is perhaps relevant to the whole group, so here goes...

Hmmm... Now let me think about this for a minute... You're voting ME to be head of a safety committee

Seriously though, Much as I enjoyed Sunday there were one or two worrying beams flying around.

So, yes, I agree we perhaps ought to consider some H & S, but i'm still thinking of the best way to go about it without offending anyone. I'm not convinced as yet that a committee is the way to go. Maybe a set of 'good practices' that we voluntarily ask everyone to abide by may be a better option, as suggested in the thread that you replied to. The sad fact is that the appointed person will probably be seen as something of a pariah and getting in the way of everyone having fun. Basically I want to have fun too

Cheers

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Shame
    I would like to see more views in this thread , but its quiet .

Suppose i better answer my own question .............

1) Did you see anything unsafe at UKLEM2
    YES , Loads and loads of potentially eye damaging beams around

2) Where you unhappy ?Did you query the issue ?
    Nope i wasnt unhappy i take the risks and any UKLEM where i cant take MY OWN risks and walk in and around beams is UKLEM i wont want to attend

3) what would you like to see at UKLEM 3 , to improve safety
    Guidelines , safety committee for enforcement or close the doors.

My BIGGEST concern on reflection and i only just thought of this is that there were at least 6 people on the day who didnt own or build a projector .....theres a possibility they were not aware of ANY risk walking around beams , they maybe saw eberyone else doing it so thought it would be ok .... thats fine for me to take that risk but i also think its unacceptable that someone who may not have been aware of any risks , ended up doing so involuntarily.

Jem with respect this didnt work at UKLEM 2 - " Maybe a set of 'good practices' that we voluntarily ask everyone to abide by may be a better option" ........... thats what this thread was originally about .

A safety committee doesnt have to be a heavy mob , they could be very much HANDS OFF setting up a ZONE thats got beams in it , marking it off and putting a sign up sying enter past this mark at your own risk . That way people make their own decisions and its their own problems if something goes worng ...my concern is those ...some of whcih who were at UKLEM 2 who **MAY** not have realised they were putting themselves at any risk at all ! .its unlikely but its possible

Mmmm Jem , I like to move forward :-) .. so while your thinking about it ..i just realised Karl .. you have been on the safety course too ! ! Ok I throw in vote for YOU as head of safety committeeeeeee , or joint head ... or sub head or whatever ..maybe you and jem could work together :-)

PAUL
    In the beginning there was none. Then came the light - #1 UKLEM - 2007
    BUY UK LEGAL LASER POINTER :: NEW - Blue 460nm Laser Pointers

Hey Paul

All good points and I agree, we do have to move forward...

There are quite a few others (apart from Karl & myself) who were at the meet on Sunday who have also been on the LaserVisuals Safety Course (an excellent course BTW). Perhaps we should all get our heads together to see how we are to proceed.

One of the main problems with this sort of thing is that it will inevitably lead to some rules being introduced. You either have safety procedures and rules that everyone abides by, or you don't - there is really no in-between.

The potential for liability from someone breaking rules that aren't then enforced properly doesn't even bear thinking about. Let's assume we do form a safety committee to give 'guidance', then let's assume there is an accident where someone loses their sight in one eye. They see a solicitor and are advised to sue someone for compensation... Who will that be? After all there is now a 'safety committee' that should be preventing that sort of thing from happening. Is the picture beginning to become clear now?

Also, consider the fact that everyone has different levels of attitude to risk. What I consider to be a reasonable rule may just be seen by someone else as spoiling their fun. What if they don't agree with the 'rule' and just tell me to Fu*k off? What sanctions would be in place for enforcement of the broken rule.

Perhaps the whole safety thing needs to be agreed collectively - A simple(ish) set of 'rules' that each person HAS to agree to abide by before they are allowed to attend. I suspect that even this could present problems, but hey, that's for everyone to decide.

Perhaps it would be worth everyone reading HSG95 and then posting their comments...

Cheers

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001