Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rgb White Balance

Quote Originally Posted by DZ View Post
    You know, this will be a great experiement for FLEM II. We will adjust someones projector for a white that everyone at FLEM II can agree on, then measure the power of each laser and see what we come up with, so we can have a "real life" ratio.

Yes, please do that I would've tried it myself if I was a lucky possessor of a RGB system..
    I'm currently working on an application which (amongst other things) calculates the ratios to get a near white "color". You input the red power together with it's wavelength, and it should give you the numbers for green and blue..currently it's set up with 4:1:2 / 6:1:2 / 8:1:2 (635 / 650 / 671 respectively): http://beamtools.skainet.net/

PS: This project is far from finished (actually, I started working on it 2 days ago).

That is neat! Thanks for working on this. If i may offer a suggestion, could you work it backwards? Could you give it a color temperature like say 6000k and have it give you ratios based on your red power and wavelength?

The problem with white ( like others have pointed out) is it is subjective. If you give it a set color temp like 6k or 5k that would give you a reference point..

Thanks again

chad

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Hi and thanks

It should be possible to do that, not sure how though..the problem is to find/make an algorithm that samples the kelvin scale and gives out three separate RGB values. It can be done manually though, by creating an array and stuff it with lots of numbers, but I fear this will take a long time. I'll do a little research

I had problems with the "wavelength visualization" to the right also, because there doesn't exist a mathematically perfect formula to convert wavelengths to RGB components (since one given wavelength is of one wavelength only, and if you mix up different values of red, green and blue you suddenly get 3 "wavelengths" mixed together. And since the color receptors in our eyes reacts different to each wavelength.. Anyway, I think it's pretty close to reality.

Color theory, yuck. that could take years to master, at least for me.

Any way google found this for me.
    http://www.efg2.com/Lab/Library/Color/Science.htm

Have at it!!

There seems to be tons of great info here, I will be spending a couple of hours following links and reading.

Thanks again.

chad

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.