Thread: Rebel LEDs/practical matters

Default Rebel LEDs/practical matters

Hello Everyone,

I bought some of the new Rebel LEDs for testing, and these things are really small and don't look user-friendly. I am wondering what kind of heat-sink is needed for reasonable operation, and how the LED should be attached to it. I know these types of LED have reduced heat-sinking requirements, because the junction temperature is 150C. My first thought was to use a piece of metal with a fairly good thermal mass, and glue the thermal pad on the back of the LED to it, using thermally-conductive epoxy.

The data sheet is extensive, yet they give no practical advice on heat-sinking, so I don't have a clue. I am also wondering about soldering or attaching leads to those extremely tiny cathode and anode pads on the bottom. I had a lot of trouble soldering to similar pads on a Luxeon K2, they kept popping off. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance, Joe

I found the application brief:

http://www.lumileds.com/pdfs/AB32.pdf

I'll be going over this for a while, I can see the Rebels won't be especially easy to use.

If you have any detailed questions, let me know through PM, my father was the director of the rebel project when it was started about 3 years ago.
    CLICKY!!!

Admin: In the immortal words of Captain Planet: YOU HAVE THE POWER
    Admin: (To quit being a bitch)