Thread: Suck or blow?

Default Suck or blow?

So I'm in the process of putting together a 250mW green system. Once I have it all enclosed (I think I am going to use the flightcase idea) should I have the fan suck air out or blow in over the PSU and amps. Should I also have a fan for the diode?

Everything is tapped to a sheet of 6mm ali.

Thanks in advance

Rich

if the fans were to blow in to the enclosure should I put filters on the fan finger guards?

Cheers

If you have a fairly air-tight enclosure, you can blow out the back, and put a filter on your intake hole. If the case has open seams and holes, you should suck into the case with a fan and filter. This will create positive pressure in the case and will prevent sucking in unfiltered air.

perfect, thanks alot for that. I will use two fans to push air (via filters) into the unit. I see what you mean about positive pressure. Good idea.

Cheers

Rich

Hi Rich

I'm in the process of building up a projector as well and pondered over this very question.

The way I look at it is that a fan blowing is more directional than a fan sucking air through a case, therefore you can ensure that what you have pointed the fan at is going to get cooled.

Cheers
    Troy
    RTI Piko RGB 4 Projector
    CT6215 Scanners & CT 671 Amps; CT6210 & Medialas Microamps.
    RGBLaser Systems 6000mW RGB Module - 638nm/445nm/532
    LD2000 Pro + QM2000.net + Beyond
    Etherdream + LSX

Old Projector Build

Good point Troy,

I thought of that but I just wanted to circulate the air arpund the inside of the case.

As it goes, I have decided not to put any fans in at all for the moment. I left the unit running all night (out of case) and it doesn't even appear to get warm.
    Cheers

Rich

go for the egneral pc aircooling of 4-3 matching in-out cfm ratios eg 1 120mm infan @ 80cfm and one outblowing 120mm fan @ 60cfm or 80mm at 40 and 30cfm

Heat rises, so the best way of thermal convection cooling is bring the cool air in from the bottom (suck) and blow it out at the top. That's the way the argons do it.