Thread: is the X and Y order important ??

Question is the X and Y order important ??

This is a quick question...

I just wonder, is there something that is called X and Y galvo in the hardware?
    Or is it just the software that call it X and Y ?

Why I ask is that I consider to turn the galvos 90 deegre @ right..
    So the galvo input is facing down !
    And the laser output is hitting a mirror pointing UP and hit the galvos !

The reason is that I want to lift my galvo 10cm from the baseplate !
    And to not use 2 mirrors, I can just place one mirror directly under the galvo and beam it up..

The only diffrence will be that the laser will hit the oposite mirror (Y) first.. and not the (X) !

Will that give me any problem ??

EDIT: You can se my "idea" here in swf format http://home.monet.no/~bjornaro/diverse/Laser/galvo.html

Is this a pointless project ?
    Last edited by liteglow; 01-10-2008 at 12:15.

Sometimes the mirrors are shaped differerntly and it that case it definitely matters. But, if they are the same then it doesn't. Of course, you could always swap galvo locations within the mounting block if the mirrors were different and be OK.

mixedgas is online now Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

depends entirely on your galvo mirrors. If you have the latest thing from GSI or Cabridge or Galvoline with the D shaped ultra low intertia mirrors , a reverse feed could really limit your scan angle. If you have identical rectangular mirrors, at exactly 90' apart. You have reverse symmetry and your fine. You do want to keep the actual galvo mirrors with in a few mm of each other or less, often .5 mm. You are encountering a concept called "limiting arpeture"
    Also if your bottom mirror is tilted up 10-20' like the newer GSI, Cambridge , Or some chinese mounts, you'll mask off part of your mirror if you go in reversed. SO to summerize, two rectangular mirrors of equal size, no problems, anything else must be evaulated on a case by case basis.

Steve

Thanx for the reply !!

Yes I know that if there was 2 diffrent mirrors I would never consider doing it !

What I just want to know if one galvo is "better" than the other maybe....
    Maybe it had more angle... but i guess they are the same !

I got DT40 PRO and the mirrors is exatly the same !
    Anyway, i really dont want to to it that way.

But if not I need one mirror to shoot the beam UP \ and then one mirror to shoot the laserbeam to left \ !

And everythime I think "mirror" , I se that as % of loss in mW output !?!

Shall I fear mirrors, or just use as many I want and dont think about loss of power? (we are talking about 2 xtra mirrors, laser metal mirrors)

mixedgas is online now Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

And everythime I think "mirror" , I se that as % of loss in mW output !?!

Shall I fear mirrors, or just use as many I want and dont think about loss of power? (we are talking about 2 xtra mirrors, laser metal mirrors)[/QUOTE]

ordinary off the shelf silvered or enhanced silvered mirrors are EVIL, you loose 10-30% or more if its a cheaper one.

HOWEVER THE ANGELIC Dielectric mirrors centered on 45' for 400-700 nm are nearly perfect, loss will be less then 1%, typically .05%, often less then that. You can get good dielectric stock from One Stop Laser Shop, or Edmunds, CVI, Thorlabs etc. OSLS will however beat the other guys prices by a mile and have them in sizes you need. .

for some reason the chinese are shipping enhanced silver on most scanners, I dont understand it, but they done seem to care about the losses.

Steve