Thread: 450mW not all the same?

Default 450mW not all the same?

I have on order a <500mW green, 532nm DPSS, that will be portable and battery powered. I say <500 because I don't want to carry around a portable Class IV. It will have thermal cooling, so can run about 1-2 hours on a charge. I may even see if it can have an AC-Power option. It will also have adjustable output.

I needed the portability because I will be using it on roofs for aligning antennas. I will also take it with me to the laser lab occasionally (and much more when I start graduate work), to do a bit of research on frequency shifting.

I was thinking later of using it for some simple laser shows. However, after talking with an expert, I was told that it's not the best option.

So if we have a 450mW that is made for distance, so has smallest divergence, can run 1-2 hours on a charge, and has TEM00, why would this blow as a light-show laser?

Is the green light of different quality from the portable unit as it would be from a module costing much more?

I won't be doing anything serious as far as shows. Maybe work with a musician to create some laser effects in a bar or so, to make some extra $20 or so.

First of all if you say its not class 4 but its operating at class 4... well then thats not very good... Usually the warning stickers that are put on laser are generously overrated for that reason. Just in case the operate above their specs.

Well it might be good it might not. But you will quickly find out what duty cycles are (I cant remember who said it but someone else was talking about learning this lesson recently). The lab style heads are made with a lot more aluminum and have a much better dissipation of heat. Compared to a handheld laser you don't have the same amount of surface area to your advantage. Of course you could make some aluminum mounts for it that would help to reduce the heat.

I am sure there are some other reasons that are not coming to me currently that others I am sure will inform you about.

-Max

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by nanoWatt View Post
    So if we have a 450mW that is made for distance, so has smallest divergence, can run 1-2 hours on a charge, and has TEM00, why would this blow as a light-show laser?
    Because it's a portable design that is difficult to mount permanently inside a projector housing and is difficult to keep cool during continuous operation. It also lacks many features of a lab or bench module, including ease of blanking, safety interlocks, and a shutter.
    Is the green light of different quality from the portable unit as it would be from a module costing much more?
    Well, 532 nm green is still 532 nm green. However, the modules that cost more will offer greater power stability, mode stability, and beam specs. They're also likely to last a lot longer.
    I was thinking later of using it for some simple laser shows. However, after talking with an expert, I was told that it's not the best option.
    What were the reasons the expert gave as to why it's not the best option? Because he's right; it's not the best option. (See above)
    I won't be doing anything serious as far as shows. Maybe work with a musician to create some laser effects in a bar or so, to make some extra $20 or so.
    Creating laser effects in a bar is pretty serious work, requiring extra safety equipment, careful alignment, and reliable equipment. It's not a job for a hand-held laser.

Adam

Thanks Buffo for that good information. I wasn't doubting the advice, but just was wondering the case.

Since I am paying a good amount for the portable unit, I was wanting ways to be able to use it to get some money back. If the laser show is out, I was hoping there was some ways to get effects with it. Besides using it for research and alignment, I can't think of ways to generate some revenue with it. It will have TEC, so keeping it cool isn't a problem.

You can use the following item on ebay to make a line to give you a liquid sky effect ... http://tidyurl.net/r2Odp

Or you can use crystals and defraction gratings to give you other effects.

I'm considering looking into something that can make patterns to music, and just do things for friends and family.

Quote Originally Posted by laserLips View Post
    You can use the following item on ebay to make a line to give you a liquid sky effect ... http://tidyurl.net/r2Odp

Or you can use crystals and defraction gratings to give you other effects.