Thread: non-ESD safe packaging (?) : diodes busted or not?

Default non-ESD safe packaging (?) : diodes busted or not?

got 4 diodes in the mail today. When opening the packaging my first reaction was:
    Oh hope these will still work because the packaging does not look like it is ESD safe but I could be wrong. Would like to hear what you think.
    They came in a white container. On the bottom is black ESD foam. Includes is a piece of white cottonwool and a piece tape of what looks like medical tape. The diodes just kind of swim around in there... So what are the chances of survival?
    I haven't paid for these yet, should I return the bunch?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails diodes.jpg  

Chances are that they are fine. But, the glass might be dirty.

They might be fine as Gary said but static sensitive or not - if thats their idea of 'Packing' then they need a swift kick in the nuts.
    At the very least the diodes should have been pused into a block of black anti static foam so the leads were shorted - god knows how they have been handled just putting them in the pot.

I would drop them a line stating that the packing was not static safe and offer to send em right back now or expect a refund/replacement for any that are dead when you test.
    Make it known to the seller now. However they are obviously an idiot so probably wont give a shit.

Rob

PS Zoof is that a plastic/poly cup? if so then static loves such material!
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Zoof View Post
    I haven't paid for these yet, should I return the bunch?
    WTF's that? diode yoghurt??

I would test them before paying a penny, looks like nylon wool in the pic...

hmmm! Highly suspicious looking pot.

I'd contact the seller before testing them cus he'll just blame you for zapping them if any are gonners.

Quote Originally Posted by stanwax View Post
    At the very least the diodes should have been pused into a block of black anti static foam so the leads were shorted - god knows how they have been handled just putting them in the pot.

I would drop them a line stating that the packing was not static safe and offer to send em right back now or expect a refund/replacement for any that are dead when you test.
    Make it known to the seller now. However they are obviously an idiot so probably wont give a shit.
    The seller is a well know German seller: Herr Pusch.
    I was expecting better packaging.
    Other lasers I got from him all lacked ESD protection. The blue was send back twice! ending up with a refund. The red died within warranty period - might be an indicator the diode wasn't handled well when installed. Got it repaired free of charge but I figured I would get some replacement diodes.

Quote Originally Posted by stanwax View Post
    PS Zoof is that a plastic/poly cup? if so then static loves such material!
    I'm afraid so.......
    Won't be dealing with this seller again.

Pusch, eh? I remember he bought a few lots of those ebay ROHM lots RLD65PZB5, and if I'm not mistaken those in the pot have the same RH marking on the back.

Is that what they are?

Ditto what's been said about the packaging.

drlava, they are the same ones as I bought from you. You know how to package them, as far as I could tell they never left their original ESD packaging. Good job.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoof View Post
    drlava, they are the same ones as I bought from you. You know how to package them, as far as I could tell they never left their original ESD packaging. Good job.
    Which is how it should be. esp. with laser diodes - sometimes handling means not handling!

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk