Thread: Needing help with a driver...

Question Needing help with a driver...

I have a diode of unknown iop and voltage drop{1.8?}......I would like a bit of help with a LM-317 based simple driver setup that I can again use this one. I have a lot of parts here and could possibly escape another order. The outputs from the AC powered driver, when it was functional, was 2.97vdc @ 268maH of current. It would be nice to power it from 6 vdc. Lucky for me I wrote these things down a couple of years ago. Yes years. I really would like to make it myself. I know Die4drive is great. Any help would be better than selling the pieces off.....I would rather finish it to working shape again.
    You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich

Cool

I've had really good luck with "Sam's Laser Diode Test Supply", which is based on a pair of LM-317's. (One is used for the voltage regulation stage, the other for current limiting.) Unfortunately, there is no support for blanking.

I always wanted to see if a mosfet stuck between the voltage regulation stage and the current regulation stage would allow the driver to blank quick enough for laser show use, but I never got around to experimenting with the idea. (Lots of capacitance in both circuits, so it might not work...)

Adam

That looks good.....I wonder if the 317 can bleed off the heat from a 14.2 volt input with sinks. I am using lithium cells for the power supply. This is for the 200mw 532nm man sized portable project. Hope to bring it to SELEM 2 if it is finished by then.....I will set up a test circuit and see what it takes to get the 300mah of drive current. This is threshold.....it normally ran with 680maH @197mw output.
    You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by MechEng3 View Post
    That looks good.....I wonder if the 317 can bleed off the heat from a 14.2 volt input. I am using lithium cells for the power supply. This is for the 200mw 532nm man sized portable project. Hope to bring it to SELEM 2 if it is finished by then.....
    Shouldn't be a problem so long as you heat sink it properly. They're rated for a 50 volt drop at 2 amps. But they will get hot, so make sure you mount them to a decent heat sink.

I've used them with up to a 10 volt drop at around 150 ma with no heat sink, but I wouldn't push them any more than that unless you add a heat sink. (They got pretty hot that way without the heat sink)

Adam
    Last edited by buffo; 01-15-2008 at 14:34.

Default You could try this one

This is a constant current set-up using one LM317 If your fixed res is 3ohms I think it should do the job. Ignore the pin numbers on the regulator, wire it up to the pin descriptions.

Regards rog8811
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails LD_Driver_Schematic.jpg  

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by rog8811 View Post
    This is a constant current set-up using one LM317 If your fixed res is 3ohms I think it should do the job. Ignore the pin numbers on the regulator, wire it up to the pin descriptions.

Regards rog8811
    That ones fine if you do 2 things, use at least a half watt rated pot, and two dont tweek the pot with the actual diode attached, if the wiper lifts it goes bang if the load is a LD. I use a luxeon led with a silicon diode in series as a test/cal load.

Steve