Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Who did CONANs show

clandestiny is offline Eleventy-Billion Watt Ar/Kr >:)
    somewhere between orlando and san antonio

jon, excellent on the square mirror reflection- that was exactly my thought as well-
    i do concur, that with audience present, they may get the spank from nys-
    go big or go home

in reply to steve- i'm adopting a wait and see approch with the audience scanning bit.
    Its in good hands with greg at lsdi- besides he's an absolute expert in this area.

i've taken some accredited courses from rockwell laser institute- greg is one of their field instructors if you will-

for me its not the numbers , i trust the experts-
    i have spent a whole career explaining the dangers of lasers to curious audiences-
    to the point they would believe they would drop dead if they came anywhere close to an operating system-

Now, i'd have to go backwads a bit and explain why its suddenly ok to scan-
    couple that to the enviorment here- litigation happy society- the doctor analogy is a good example-
    I'll keep my eyes on it-

again, like with the conan show, i like to get all the facts in and give an unbias opinion-
    I never claim to always be right- just like to examine the issue from all sides- i perfer facts to emotional responses- that just me
    go big or go home

Quote Originally Posted by clandestiny View Post
    jon, excellent on the square mirror reflection- that was exactly my thought as well- i do concur, that with audience present, they may get the spank from nys-
    Hey Paul -

...Thanks... well, time will tell...

I remember telling the Tech, when I called him to tell him 'fire-out, we didn't get it, etc... "..well, just as long as THEY DO A GOOD JOB with the gig..." - which, to me, INCLUDES doing 'due-diligence' and at least FILING / having a lic'd. Op, etc - and that is my only 'rant' - I sincerely HOPE this will all 'dodge the bullet' - HOPE no one else got scanned in the eye, HOPE NYS does NOT throw a hissy-fit with NBC / the next-gen of Regs - (and, yeah, when it comes to the doubtless-to-come 'approved audience-scanning' re-writes to CR-50, I can see crap like this costing us EXTRA $$ to register 'approved A-S' projectors, cause doubtless, they will wanna 'resurrect' INSPECTIONS, where A-S is reported to be done, at a premium... like you inferred, the 'Empire $tate' ) - that's it - just wanna be able to do my job without 'hacks' making it more difficult for everybody...

".. and, now, for something completely different..."

...some 'other Conan' humor...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xW0JK4KTeRs

and then I found this little 'gem'..hahahahaha....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsuN7yHPvIk

PS - and yeah, thanks, Pat, for that hilarious 'League of Darwinism' clip that was great...

peace..

- J
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Thumbs down Sad, sad update...

Hey - yeah, so I found out from whom I believe to be a fairly 'reliable source' (someone at NBC) - WHO did this 'travesty' of a laser show for Conan - and they are an ILDA member!!!!

Well, at LEAST, the 'bid-winning' Co. IS - I do not have verification yet, but, as I know this Co. very well, I strongly believe that they would NOT have done this gig directly - that is to say, I am fairly sure (as again, I know them well and for shows of this 'caliber' / price-range, they usually 'sub') they would have sub-contracted it locally - since they are OUTSIDE OF THE US!!

When they HAVE sub'd in NYS before, on many occasions, they have used us - but they have also frequently used another individual, who, along with them, will remain nameless, but has his OWN Co. AND - though, he has the "ILDA Member" Logo on his site, as far as I can see, he is currently not - (though I doubt it is an 'intent to deceive' - the last 'update' on his site shows as 2003, so I am sure he's just been 'extremely busy', and hasn't 'gotten around to it') - and I generally thought very highly of this person and he DOES HAVE a NYS ClassB license - I HOPE I AM WRONG AND HE DID NOT DO THIS WORK....

Regardless, the 'Co.' is a MAJOR player in the laser show industry, and have done some of the largest shows and tours in the WORLD, and I am SHOCKED and disappointed that they would allow such sloppy, careless, and UN-registered work from either entity - even if they DID 'sub-it' out to whom I think it is (again, do NOT have confirmation yet), that does NOT absolve them of the responsability - especially as ILDA members - to do it LEGALLY and SAFELY - and I'm sorry - hitting Conan directly in the eye, even for a millisecond, and with only a 'corner' of a bounce, is, in my OPINION, NEITHER of those things.

Am I just being a hyper-spaz-dweeb, here??? Then why do we even HAVE ILDA or variances or NYS regulations - why not just go off shooting lasers however and wherever and for as cheaply as we want, screw everybody else and 'the industry'??? CAUSE IT'S WRONG. Forget the money we did not get from this 'gig' - I don't care about that - but for PETE'S SAKE, can we just not have hacks getting the shows? And this was not an 'accidental' stage layout - there were rehearsals, and .... oh forget it... I'm going to BED...

peace...
    - J

PS - I will be doubly-verifying what I found out today, tomorrow - uh, in a few hours - if my 'source' was wrong, and therefore, I am WRONG (and I HOPE I am..) - I will edit this post and PUBLICLY APOLOGIZE, and never post another 'anti-hack rant' again. Fair 'nuff?
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

yes, hayden hale is a ILDA member. I figured they just kept this one in the family-

conan needs lasers, calls twin brother kng pango, pango subs it to his illegitimate son hayden-

bill is alot older than he looks- i hope their relationship wasn't a trade secret-

LOL

keep us posted senior jon
    go big or go home

Quote Originally Posted by clandestiny View Post
    yes, hayden hale is a ILDA member. I figured they just kept this one in the family-

conan needs lasers, calls twin brother kng pango, pango subs it to his illegitimate son hayden-

bill is alot older than he looks- i hope their relationship wasn't a trade secret-

LOL

keep us posted senior jon

Yikes man! Uncle Conan's gonna be pissed
    Ex-Keeper of the QM2000 boards.

Ok guys,

I found a photo of the culprit. The photo was altered to protect the guilty.

10-in the beginning God created lasers
    20-shortly thereafter God created Laser Flakes
    30-Go to 10

ILDA an ancient animal...species... "Nahteathelasoballas" (no teeth or balls), PR was allowed to stay a member, therefore I quit - Code of Ethics mean NOTHING with unethical people (and I was one of the founders of ILDA in Lake Tahoe)

I still say Conan was a "performer" therefore REGS do NOT apply.

laserman, thanks for the response- conan being the exempt performer is what i have been leaning on from the beginning- early in the post I stated all bets would be off
    if we learned the operator was not nys class b - or didn't do his paperwork- then nys may take action- that aside though I was leaning more on the side of cdrh-

if we should learn, or more hard evidence comes forth- that beams where subsequently launched and scanned into the audience, we can revisit our findings.

I think that me and jon chose to take two seperate airplanes to reach the same destination-
    jon focusing more on the regional issue of nys regs, whereas I was looking in the direction
    of cdrh and what if anything was actually illegal.

at one point i responded without the aid of any liquor- in an immotional way to what i believed
    was a personal attack against me. In the end jon explained i misinterpreted his post and all was fine- jon likes his rants and i just thought i'd join him and fire back a bit.

I like facts, which is what we where really short on when everyone started hitting the panic button. So, I attemped to piece together a theory about the closed set and no audience.
    we now know from jon audiece was present.

Everyone should know the best thing you can ever do for yourself is have your paperwork in order. it won't eliviate you from responsibility, but it can prevent a giant snowball pile-on from occurring. This operator although failing to file- may otherwise be a good laerist?
    we'll see who he is-that fact that he made a big mistake and didn't file will fall on him-
    point being I dont yet see this as a big o shit moment for the industry.

how many times in your life have you witnessed the national media report an alleged scandal- everyone climbs on with their emotions,a blow up ensues, and in the end we find no credibility or facts in the alligation-

causing an uproar can possibly cause more damage than any alleged wrongdoing.

I am only trying to make my way through the angry torchlit mob to collect some facts before condeming anything

in reguards to ilda, my ethical position of the day ( LOL ) would be to keep that in their house rather than here-

i started with lasers in 94- i think about the exact time jon did- maybe not- i've been an ilda member since 98-

my single biggest reason for belonging is to support the work with the feds/cdrh- its really the only body we have to help keep the feds from putting an end to laser shows
    go big or go home

It is my understanding that regs do apply for performers. Different rules apply, but rules still apply for performers. Its still a big ole NO NO to hit a performer in the face with a laser.