Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FB3 small image size??? Help!

Default FB3 small image size??? Help!

Hi,

Just a quick question.

I have just had my FB3 delivered. Wow what a great bit of kit for the price. It connected up nice and easily and is working fine.

However, the image seems to be a little small. So I connected up my Intro card and the image is about double size.

Both sets of software are set to max in the projection zone window.

Will this be down to the fact that the FB3 doest use the -ve side of the scanners so in fact is running a 5V differance. Whereas the Intro runs from 5V to -5V so is giving a 10V differance.

If this is the case is there anyway I can get the FB3 to give the larger image size?

I don't want to start moving cables around as I'm sure I'll damage something!

Hopefully someone will be able to give me some advice.

Thanks in advance

Rich

Do your scanner amps have 'size' potentiometers ?

You can always screw a bit on your size pots on the galvo drivers (have a look in the manual if you don't know how). Do this with the FB3 until you reach your desired image size. Now the image will be way too big for the intro board, so you'll have to decrease the projection zone size in its software.

That's how I'd do it anyway... it should work, and doesn't involve moving any cables around.

Thanks bart, thanks tocket.

I've tried increasing the size on the pots. It does make the image bigger but then I cant get the rest of the adjustments right on the ILDA test pattern.
    Ive got LW45K scanners from Laserworld

Cheers

Rich

Cool

It sounds like you don't have the FB3 wired for differential signaling to the scanner amps. Did you accidentally wire them up single-ended? That will cause the scanned image to be much smaller.

Adam

Hi Adam,

Thanks for your reply. The FB3 comes pre-wired with a 25 way D-type from Pangolin. I wired the galvo amps to another 25 way D-type in my projector as follows:

X+ pin on galvo amp to pin 1
    X- pin on galvo amp to pin 14
    X Gnd on galvo amp to pin 25

Y+ pin on galvo amp to pin 2
    Y- pin on galvo amp to pin 15
    Y Gnd on galvo amp to pin 25

Analog modulation + on laser to pin 3
    Analog modulation Gnd on laser to pin 25

What do you think?

Cheers
    Rich

Oh, I'm not actually sure if the FB3 does differential signaling on the X and Y.

Geez, why can't companies supply some freaking instructions with their products?!?

Cool

It depends on which version of the FB3 you have. If you have the older version that only has the larger smart media card slot, then you've got single ended outputs.

If you have the newer FB3 that has both the large smart media card slot and the smaller XD picture card slot, then you have differential outputs.

See this thread where Bill Benner talks about the differences between the two versions. (Scroll down to around post # 14 or so.)

Your wiring is correct for differential signaling, so it may be that you *do* have an older FB3. If you've got the older version, then you only have single-ended outputs, and that's why the scanned image is smaller.

Adam

Thanks guys,

Carmangary: That would make things too easy!! Then we would get bored if there were no problems to solve.

Buffo: I've got the new FB3 (only arrived the other day). I read the thread that Bill wrote a while ago.
    So I have a differential output, but this doesnt explain why I'm getting a smaller image than the Intro card

Another quick off topic question. Can I put a pot in line on the intensity channel to allow my to physically set the max intensity level rather than using the software? The image is too bright in my room if I am prigramming and I dont want to have to edit the showfile to allow different intesities. This way I can adjust fairly easily to suit the venue that the projector is being used in.

If so, what value would you suggest? and would it just go inline between the +5v input of the laser head and pin 3 of the ILDA connector?

Cheers

Rich