Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How about tutorial/advice forum

The FTP idea would work but there are plenty of cons to it as compared to other methods such as simply embedding them within the forum or creating a webpage that has them all in HTML format. It's already painful enough just getting to the current ftp server with the shows and frames since it is down sometimes and you have to have a name and password.

Cool

I don't think the FTP site is "painful". The name and password haven't changed since Cruch first set the server up over a year ago. The IP address has only changed once, to a static domain name that won't ever change now. It would be a trivial task to link to the documents via a post here in the forums, and you can access the FTP server from any browser. You can even embed the login and password information into a standard link, so the end user need not understand anything about FTP.

Sure, adding a new forum here would be nice, and starting a Wiki here would be ideal, but all that takes time and effort. Spec seems to be awful busy these days; why not make it easy on him?

Adam

I don't know. I just figured that if it was worth doing then it would be worth doing right.

Quote Originally Posted by carmangary View Post
    I just figured that if it was worth doing then it would be worth doing right.
    Yeah... You have a point there.

I've never set up a Wiki. Do you have any experience with one? How hard is it to get up and running? What is maintenance like?

Adam

FTP will work for me for you for some other people. Now imaging some new guy comes. How the hell he will know where to find all the info.

All we need is to have a sticky named like HOWTO/Tutorials with all the names of tutorials plus links to all articles and pictures. People open a forum and wuala right on the top everything they need to know.
    I hired an Italian guy to do my wires. Now they look like spaghetti!

I have a spare web power so I'll try to make mediawiki up and running.

Basic Install running
    http://www.snegoff.com

How to tune scanners example

http://snegoff.com/index.php/How_to_tune_your_scanners
    Last edited by Dr Laser; 01-14-2008 at 08:58.

I would like to see a tutorial on the difference between analog and TTL blanking, and why some CW lasers cannot seem to be analog blanked.