Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What can laser power do

Unfortunately, I won't be doing shows for AWHILE. Not only do I not have a projector, and cannot afford one (plus software, plus a good laser for doing shows), I don't have the experience to do one, plus get safety certified and such. With the cost of this laser, and my financial situation, I won't be able to afford the $200 or so registration fees either. Well, at least for 3-4 months once I get past my current slump.

I just want to own the laser, but I might like I said use it for my business. Just not with shows.

Buffo, the one antenna I was needing it for is 1/4 of a mile from my access point. The access point is 30' in the air. The customer's antenna is on their roof. Just need to see how much of the trees are blocking the signal. I will have a 2nd person on the ground near the access point looking up to let me know how much I am missing the antenna by.

Default Last thought / bit of friendly advice

Quote Originally Posted by nanoWatt View Post
    Unfortunately, I won't be doing shows for AWHILE. Not only do I not have a projector, and cannot afford one (plus software, plus a good laser for doing shows), I don't have the experience to do one, plus get safety certified and such. With the cost of this laser, and my financial situation, I won't be able to afford the $200 or so registration fees either. Well, at least for 3-4 months once I get past my current slump.

I just want to own the laser, but I might like I said use it for my business. Just not with shows.
    Hey Nano -

...really, I'm gonna shut-up any time, now! -

Just remember (friendly-fyi part), when you get your new Class IIIb laser in...

http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...91&postcount=3

...that, BEFORE you go aligning that antenna, from the Texas regs:

"This section establishes requirements for the registration of persons who receive, possess, acquire, transfer, or use Class 3b (IIIb), International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) Class 3B and Class 4 (IV), IEC Class 4 lasers in the healing arts, veterinary medicine, industry, academic, research and development institutions, and of persons who are in the business of providing laser services. No person shall use Class 3b (IIIb), IEC Class 3B or 4 (IV), IEC Class 4 lasers or perform laser services except as authorized in a certificate of laser registration issued by the agency in accordance with the requirements of this section. "

... and as we all well-know, you 'Don't Mess With Texas' - nobody is trying to play 'lasercop', here - I know you "just wanna own the laser", so please don't misunderstand the 'motives' here, but I would just feel really bad, (if I did NOT put out this 'word to the wise') to hear that an 'over-zealous State Trooper' (ie 'Technoviking' ) took your laser while you were shooting a beam across that innocent-little 1/4 mile (cause obviously, it won't STOP there... ) cause you could not produce a Certificate from the State of Texas, sayin: 'BACK OFF MAN - I've got a license for this thing!'

Anyhoo, I'm gonna shut up and go away, now, cool?

peace..

- J
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Thanks. I really appreciate your help. I do not want Technoviking taking my laser. Though I might be concerned if he starts dancing on my lawn.

Cool

Hell, I'd be concerned if the Techno-Viking was dancing within a hundred miles of my lawn! That dude is downright scary looking! (And to think, all this time, it was Hayden in disguise!)

If you've only got a quarter mile to deal with, then you can probably pull it off. Might be a good idea to keep the power down at first and call the spotter on your cell phone to see what he can see.

I should point out that at any time you could be shut down and seriously chewed out by any local official that figures out what you are up to. (Maybe worse) However, so long as you don't let the beam enter the window of a building you should be fine. (Don't send it off into space either! Last thing you want them to accuse you of is interfering with air traffic!) While it's not something I would ever attempt, my guess is that if you are discrete about it (and quick!) you will probably be fine. But I wouldn't make a habit of it.

Adam