Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: Hollywood lasers

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    98

    Default Hollywood lasers

    I found this site that has an interesting list of memorable laser moments in Hollywood: http://www.vueweekly.com/articles/default.aspx?i=2064

    I'm just wondering what that white laser was in Manhattan Project. I mean IRL, was it an argon/krypton?

    Also, I don't remember the movie, but they used a laser from a plane to pop popcorn and fill the guy's home with it. I don't think it was Weird Science, but something else. That was a neat laser.

    From what I remember, the one in Congo was nice too.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,478

    Default

    oh come on!!!

    thats *THE* classic laser movie! "Real Genius!"

    Never found out what the orange lookin laser is in the movie though. the one used in the lab, NOT the one used as the weapon.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Pflugerville, TX, USA
    Posts
    1,977

    Default

    My favorite is the wave motion gun from Star Blazers. But, technically, I guess it wasn't really a laser.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    98

    Default

    Added to my Netflix queue, next in line.

    Quote Originally Posted by gottaluvlasers View Post
    oh come on!!!

    thats *THE* classic laser movie! "Real Genius!"

    Never found out what the orange lookin laser is in the movie though. the one used in the lab, NOT the one used as the weapon.
    Which Star Blazers? Netflix has 3 series sets. I'm wondering which is a good one to get.

    Quote Originally Posted by carmangary View Post
    My favorite is the wave motion gun from Star Blazers. But, technically, I guess it wasn't really a laser.
    Last edited by nanoWatt; 01-14-2008 at 15:23.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Brooklyn NYC
    Posts
    791

    Default

    from what i was told by a friend that usta work for laser media
    is that laser media did that gig (although it was before he worked there)
    but what he was told is that in the lab it was a dye laser pumped by an argon
    --
    John
    VJ AIWAZ

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    98

    Default

    huh?

    Quote Originally Posted by VJ AIWAZ View Post
    from what i was told by a friend that usta work for laser media
    is that laser media did that gig (although it was before he worked there)
    but what he was told is that in the lab it was a dye laser pumped by an argon
    --
    John
    VJ AIWAZ

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Brooklyn NYC
    Posts
    791

    Default

    sorry if i was not clear
    but in the movie Real Genius in the lab they had a laser that they shot through the wall and through the trees in the quad
    that laser was a argon laser pumped dye laser or so i was told

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dye_laser

    --
    John
    VJ AIWAZ

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    SoCal / San Salvador / NY
    Posts
    4,017

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nanoWatt View Post
    I found this site that has an interesting list of memorable laser moments in Hollywood: http://www.vueweekly.com/articles/default.aspx?i=2064
    Hey Nano -

    Thanks for the post! - cool site LOL - but they FORGOT "The Andromeda Strain"!!!
    - that movie had some pretty wicked laser - and laser-BURN - fx...I know it had me all 'lit up' (**) at age 8...

    peace...

    - J
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    98

    Default

    Are you referring to the 1971 or the 1992 version?

    Quote Originally Posted by dsli_jon View Post
    Hey Nano -

    Thanks for the post! - cool site LOL - but they FORGOT "The Andromeda Strain"!!!
    - that movie had some pretty wicked laser - and laser-BURN - fx...I know it had me all 'lit up' ‹(*¿*)› at age 8...

    peace...

    - J

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Sheepsville, Wales, UK
    Posts
    3,372

    Default

    i didnt know there was a 1992 version but I know for sure jon meant the real Andromeda Strain - 1971. Absolute classic film and yes those lasers
    Whatever the 1992 version im sure it, like most remakes (assuming thats what it is) will be a pale immitation of the original
    Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

    Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

    Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •