Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hollywood lasers

Cool

He said it had him all fired up at age 8, so clearly he's talking about the 1972 version. (It's the one that left the black burn mark on the guy's hand as he was climbing the ladder.)

Adam

Edit: Damn phone rang while posting, and Rob beat me by 16 minutes while I was on the phone!

damn that Alexander Graham Bell!

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by nanoWatt View Post
    Are you referring to the 1971 or the 1992 version?
    Hey Nano -

yeah, v.1971, really, the one and ONLY!

... I don't think we can really call the 1992 film a 'version' - was more of an experiment, albeit, an interesting-sounding one (I never saw it...)-

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0363096/

...wonder how they handled the SOUND??

Thanks, Rob and Adam for backing me up... yeah, when I saw that beam hit Mark Hall's cheek, and turn it into a 'swollen, burnt marshmallow with a hole in it' - I was like, 'oooooohhhhhhcoooolll...' - literally, this is the best impression (since I don't have any photos) of myself at that moment: ‹(O¿O)› (and I have brown eyes - the blue is from the 'glow' of the beam on the tv-screen..)

Anyhoo, it's a classic, lasers or no - but I'm glad they were in it! (I woudda still been hooked, later on, when Star Wars came out...) -

peace..

- J
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Quote Originally Posted by dsli_jon View Post
    How utterly bonkers!

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

rumor has it that the green beam in the strain, and oh, how realistic it is, was one of the first CW doubled yags, Ouch, zorch gotta keep those lab rats from climbing the ladder. very realistic and good sci/tech consulting on that movie (the 72, never saw the newer one)
    Nothing like a scrap of punched tape in a relay to spoil your day!

bye for now,
    gotta go get that DVD.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    rumor has it that the green beam in the strain, and oh, how realistic it is, was one of the first CW doubled yags,...
    Nothing like a scrap of punched tape in a relay to spoil your day!

bye for now,
    gotta go get that DVD.
    Hey Steve - LOL... PLEASE TAKE SOME PIX / STILLS and post (that's LEGAL, right??? (I am sure I'll get skewered for that one, after all my ranting over at 'Who did the Conan Sho'! - and yeah, still have not found any stills from that nite you saw... OK, I'm digressing / post-jacking...)

ciao
    - J
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

I wasn't sure since Stan could be 16 for all I know. I didn't want to make any assumptions.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffo View Post
    He said it had him all fired up at age 8, so clearly he's talking about the 1972 version. (It's the one that left the black burn mark on the guy's hand as he was climbing the ladder.)

Adam

Edit: Damn phone rang while posting, and Rob beat me by 16 minutes while I was on the phone!

Has anyone here seen the Lathe of Heaven (the 1980 version). It has some very nice laser effects toward the end. It's an interesting movie about how his dreams affect reality.

Cool

I remember the Lathe of Heaven, but not the laser effects at the end. Pretty decent movie though.

Adam

Wow Starblazers

The wavemotion gun was cool..Saved their butts everytime.

First two series were the good ones. Third one sucked and what ever
    you do, do not search the internet for the voice over actors pictures.
    Nova was really um ugly