Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Retarded Smiley :D

Quote Originally Posted by James Lehman View Post
    This file only opens in LaserBoy!
    it certainly doesn't open in ZoofBrew
    It could be that I never tested my code with other's format 3 ilda headers and that my file reading code is messy.
    But it could be that the first ilda 3 header in your file specifies 808465203 points for the lookup table - you may want to check that.

Anarchy wont open it, and Pangolin opens the first 16 frames.

try this on for size
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodies?
    Solid State Builders Group

Quote Originally Posted by Zoof View Post
    It could be that I never tested my code with other's format 3 ilda headers and that my file reading code is messy.
    But it could be that the first ilda 3 header in your file specifies 808465203 points for the lookup table - you may want to check that.
    I know my format 3 is not the same one that was put out there as a proposal.... or at least not the last version of it.

This is the heart of my big bitch with ILDA and their file format.

First of all, I think it's wrong to call each section a format. I think the whole thing is The ILDA File Format. Each section of the ILDA format is just that: a section. Each section has a header and a data segment.

When I first put LaserBoy out there in 2004, I added 24-bit color capability to it, in the form of a section 3 that uses a section header that is exactly the same data structure as all of the other ILDA section headers.

After I announced that LaserBoy could read and write "format 3", I asked for some examples of 24-bit frames. I got two frames from the guy who was at the time the chair of the ILDA Technical Standards and Specifications Committee. When I found that LaserBoy could not open the files, I looked again at the published proposed 24-bit "format 3" and it had been changed to what you might find on the Internet now.

Since the change in the "format 3" section header makes no sense at all and is clearly, technically incorrect, as it uses a 32-bit number to describe something that can never be more than a 16-bit number... AND no one has ever come forward with ANY explanation as to why this change was made, I can only assume that it was busted in order to ruin the idea. And it seems to have worked!

That is, unless you have LaserBoy.

You can open my "format 3" files and convert them to "format 4 or 5". In the process, you might also see the benefits of a working "format 3".

If you feel like asking me why I don't just re-write my code so that it reads and writes the last published "format 3", don't bother.

I think it's a very bad idea to purpetuate stupidity.

James.
    Last edited by James Lehman; 12-29-2008 at 17:40.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by James Lehman View Post
    I think it's a very bad idea to purpetuate stupidity.
    I almost fell out the chair on that one...

im gonna pretend i did not just read that post (by james) and go back to the world where he is done bitching about this stuff, because i think it's a very bad idea to perpetuate stupidity.

at any rate, laserboy can read anything and write anything that is in current open use so who gives a rip... if you open the most recen posted version of retardo, im sure you will find that it works with pango just fine...
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodies?
    Solid State Builders Group

the 32-bit number thing explains it.

Well done on the sorting and z-clipping in LBoy

Quote Originally Posted by Zoof View Post
    I just got a phone call from keeperx. He was using Spaghetti with some ILDA files he made in LaserBoy, so to save some time and effort, he pointed his Spaghetti to the ild directory inside the LaserBoy folder.

Guess what!

Just because he had some "LaserBoy format 3" files in there, Spaghetti crashed!

Why?

Because, it looks for the busted ILDA format 3. When it sees a LaserBoy format 3 header it looks at it like a busted ILDA header.

Since the busted ILDA format 3 uses a 4 byte integer to designate a number that can never be more than a 2 byte integer can hold, it only takes 1 bit out of place to tell Spaghetti to prepare to read BILLIONS of elements instead of tens of thousands. OUT OF MEMORY!

A four byte integer can count up to 4G of stuff. A 2 byte integer can only count to 64K.

This issue is so blatantly STUPID, I can not believe that it came about as a matter of mishap or short sightedness ~ by a committee of so called experts.

BTW, this is the same group that now wants to be in control of your credentials as a laserist, whether you're a member or not.

Get it?

From what I understand, camangary fixed Spaghetti so that it doesn't crash on the LaserBoy ild folder anymore.

James.
    Last edited by James Lehman; 01-10-2009 at 15:37.

I know of one other blatantly wrong thing with the standard and it has to do with frame numbering. Do you know what I am talking about? And did you implement it that way?

I do know what you're talking about; the frame id.

I came up with a way to do it in my code, but I think the idea is kind of pointless. The frames are already in natural order in the file!

James.