Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Retarded Smiley :D

Against my better judgement I added support for your format 3 (in addition to the real format 3). I was curious to see what some of your files looked like.

Thank you!

That wasn't so painful. Was it?

I'm sure you found that they look exactly like formats 4 & 5 except that some of the frames may be 0 or 1 with a palette.

Just like it should be!

James.

No, it wasn't painful at all and that is really irritating me right. You could have EASILY just done it the way the ILDA Standard file on your website says to do it and you wouldn't be polluting the internet with your proprietary format 3 files and I and others wouldn't have to waste time figuring out what you did and check bytes to be able to load two different formats with the same format code.

I'm not going to propagate this nonsense so I ripped out the code to handle your files.

I'm not the one who busted format 3!

I'm the guy who's been asking why ever since.

WTF is the point of having a "proposal" if you ignore anyone who comments on it?

If it had not been busted, but rather properly implemented in the first place, NONE of this nonsense would have happened.

There would be no variation in format 3 files and format 4 & 5 would not exist.

I don't like information pollution either!

THAT is exactly my point.

So you see it's busted but you think that's OK, even though the whole format 3 thing has been completely abandoned by ILDA and nobody cares?

OK. Whatever.

I guess you can't be on both sides of this issue. But you can be on neither.

James.
    Last edited by James Lehman; 01-11-2009 at 15:18.

Format 3 is dead but before way back when Spaghetti was nothing but an ILDA file viewer I ran across some files I couldn't read. I found the format code to be 3 and asked Bill Benner about them. He clued me in on the Format 3 story and provided me with the ILDA published document. I didn't care if it is right or wrong. I just wanted to read it. It was in an ILDA document and it was implemented in a real file I had so that was good enough for me.

Right or wrong, I can read Format 3 files that match a published document. I don't expect anyone to run across many of these files but support is in there form them regardless.

Honestly, I think format 3 is totally stupid. I think the version I have implemented is stupid. I think your version is stupid. But one of those versions is on paper. It isn't yours.

That pretty much sums it up as far as I am concerned. I think most others feel the same way.

OK. So you came into the picture after format 3 was first proposed correctly and then ruined. You implemented the ruined version, because that's what was out there.

Had I been in exactly the same place in time, I would have done exactly the same thing. But, I still would have thought it was the dumbest industry standard blunder I'd ever come across.

The fact is that I came into the picture before ANY version of ANY format other than 0, 1, and 2 had been proposed for open comment.

Why don't we just abandon the use of the number 3 all together? It makes about as much sense!

Nobody can have three of anything anymore; just 1, 2, 4 or 5!

That's gonna' mess with some Christians! You're all going to have to come up with another form for The Creator!

Reminds me of MP & The Holy Grail.

One, Two, Five! (uh three sir!)

James.

Had I come in at the same time as you I still would have implemented the version that I did.

Quote Originally Posted by carmangary View Post
    Had I come in at the same time as you I still would have implemented the version that I did.
    Had you implemented format 3 with a uniform header, as was described to you by the chair of the tech committee, tested it, perfected it, added extra smarts to its natural arrangement that enhanced its utility and mutual functionality with the other three previously existing formats without breaking any of the rules, been floating around, high on a cloud of great personal accomplishment and then found out that format 3 had been senselessly destroyed just after you made a public announcement of your success, you would have been OK with that and just gone along with the change?

OK.

I guess that's a difference between you and me.

I might be insane, but at least I'm consistant.

I've never changed my mind about the issue one iota.

James.
    Last edited by James Lehman; 01-11-2009 at 22:59.

Yes, I would have changed it. I would have been frustrated by it, though.

As soon as they "broke it" as you say, your version became nothing but a proprietary file format. It doesn't matter if you like it or if you think your version is better. The world moved on. How can you claim to be so smart but are so stupid to this fact? Drop using format 3 because you have no right to do that. Change it to a 255, or change the extension, but stop being stupid about it and messing up everyone elses software.

Hey, this thread is about a retarded smiley, not a retarded format