Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Scanner advice

Default First Scanner advice

i have been interested in lasers for a while and have a few greens and reds i have made a few basic spirographs my best was a 3 mirror all adjustable

i am interested in getting a xy scanning system and i dont know much really i was hoping for a PC compatible system that uses serial or usb or a special pci interface and runs on software for patterns / text with one colour digital on/off control

or even a pci adapter i was looking for a empty scanner that is just missing a laser

i was thinking around £120-150 kit or fully built

i have read some things but still are getting my head arould the terms ( like the idla that looks like a parralel port)

I think Dave at lasershowparts has some low cost scanners going at the moment, and you could build a parallel port DAC and use Popplescan but if you want to save some time you could spend a few extra quid an buy an FB3 eval kit, or I think someone on here has an easylase usb DAC an software available. Depends on how DIY vs. £££ you want to be!

Smile

Hey Tomcat...

May I suggest that you make plans to attend the UKLEM (Laser Enthusiast's Meeting) that is coming up? If you do, you'll be able to see all sorts of gear. That might help you decide which scanners to buy. (You'll also get a chance to see lots of different controllers in action and be able to talk to the owners and get their opinions.) Plus, from what I've been told, these LEM's are a hell of a good time!

Adam

Tomcat, don't dilly dally with anything but great hardware. Unless your rich you'll find it difficult and expensive to upgrade. I got some 20K Eco Scanners from LaserShowParts.com. While they are good for starters, I get the feeling it won't satisfy me for long and will want to get the 30K Pros. I wish I had more patients when I made my purchases.
    Graham

I know it's a matter of build quality, but doesn't law of averages say that faster moving stuff has more of a tendency to break down?

@ laser meet i dont have a car... if its anywhere in south yorkshire (sheffield rotheram doncaster ect) then i can make it if its down south not a chance

@lips im poor :P this amount i showed is my max budget i have enough knowlage to plug stuff togetger and get and work a freeware pc program but i would not be able to code the DACs EEPROM or firmware if needed

i have good electronics knowlage so i would be able to gett he x and y drivers going well and tune/calibrate with the pots

having a hobby and poor suck :P cant wait until i finish my apprenticesbhip ( 3-4 years ) and go str8 to a network tech @ 45k/y

Tomcat
    The meet isnt in Yorkshire but not that far away - its in leicester maybe you could scam a lift of someone traveling from the north? or catch a train....
    I think it would be well worth the effort you will be blown away by the range of people and kit on hand from real cobbled together stuff to real pro kit and a full spectrum in between.
    As for scanners - there is a door prize of scanners - so you may win some if you attend!
    Failing that if your budget is limited then lasers isnt a good hobby to be in - seriously though maybe you could look out for second hand. G120 scanners are reasonably cheap when they come up - and they are bloody brilliant to start with. You wont do complex graphics with them but they are likeley to be best for your money. I have 2 sets and though I like my faster and much more expensive ct6800s I know I will never part with my 120s as they are very dear to me.

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

well i am makeing arrangments and posting around because i see this as a real good oppertunity to learn form the masters face to face and if anyone has a diy rig then even more learning i really hope i can make it eiter a private lift ( fam+friend) or public transport i have had a offer for a lift by pm so that would be a last resort but still a option

( jesus i my spelling and hamfingered typing is terrible)
    Last edited by Tomcat; 01-18-2008 at 08:51.

Honestly If you can make it - and im sure you want to - even if only for a few hours, you will see such a range of kit and come away with so many ideas and more knowledge than you will get your head around, it will be so worth while.
    If the first meet is anything to go by you will find everyone friendly helpful and enthusiastic but most of all its great to be able to chat face to face to like minded people about this crazy hobby we have. That in itself is something that does not happen too often and so is like a breath of fresh air.
    I truly hope you can come - like all the other maybes.

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

Why do all the nice laser events have to happen in the UK. I'm all alone in SA, Texas.